What's new

another landmark of manliness disappears

proxy.php

Looks like TopGumby's hat on the top shelf there...

-jim

are we really? We have shipped all of our manufacturing overseas, and are so consumer driven that all we want is cheap, chinese made crap. China and India are the next economic superpowers, we are on the downhill slide.

First, keep in mind that the manufacturing/service distinction might not be quite as sharp or sensible as it first seems. If you make me a car and I buy it, it's manufacturing; if you make me a meal or a song or a computer program, it's usually classified as service. And we still manufacture loads of stuff even in the very strict sense of 'chunks of metal and plastic', it's really only heavy low-skill industry that's gone abroad. So I'd say the decline of that particular section of the manufacturing sector might not be terribly important in the scheme of things. Second, we as a society have been consumer-driven and greedy and whatever since the dawn of time. Most of the cheap Chinese-made stuff I own is actually pretty high-quality. Much higher quality than I can get at the price point in the US... Third, keep in mind that China and India are still much, much poorer on a per capita basis than e.g. Ecuador. Sure, the fact that there are a whole lot of Chinese and Indians means that their net GDP is pretty big, but I'm not sure how that translates to 'economic superpower' status.

First, keep in mind that the manufacturing/service distinction might not be quite as sharp or sensible as it first seems. If you make me a car and I buy it, it's manufacturing; if you make me a meal or a song or a computer program, it's usually classified as service. And we still manufacture loads of stuff even in the very strict sense of 'chunks of metal and plastic', it's really only heavy low-skill industry that's gone abroad. So I'd say the decline of that particular section of the manufacturing sector might not be terribly important in the scheme of things. Second, we as a society have been consumer-driven and greedy and whatever since the dawn of time. Most of the cheap Chinese-made stuff I own is actually pretty high-quality. Much higher quality than I can get at the price point in the US... Third, keep in mind that China and India are still much, much poorer on a per capita basis than e.g. Ecuador. Sure, the fact that there are a whole lot of Chinese and Indians means that their net GDP is pretty big, but I'm not sure how that translates to 'economic superpower' status.

I would say you have a pretty good handle on the situation. It seems as though the quality of Chinese goods have improved over the last few years. I dabble in woodworking and will take a British or German chisel or woodcarving tool over anything made in China any day, and gladly pay 2-3 times the price of the Chinese knock off. Mechanics tools, I cannot say, it has been so long since I used anything from China. The last time I used a socket wrench it broke, snapped in half. Give me American, don't care about the cost, I want a tool that is safe for me to use.

As a pharmacist I am seeing something that honestly scares me. Much of our pharmaceutical manufacturing is headed to India. I notice quite a few of the commonly used injectable antibiotics are now coming from there.

What happens if we have a war, shooting or economic where our supply of drugs is cut off?? How many people will die? Something to think about.

We will have similar problems, not as important, but inconvenient, when other products sources are cut off and affects our lifestyle. Just think of computers, so essential to our communictions, work and lifestyles. The HP laptop I'm typing on now came from Singapore!!!

Back to the economic situation in China and India, Yes they are much poorer, and I for one do my part trying to keep them that way by not buying their products. I cannot always do that but will do so whenever possible.

@blackfoot: if you've been to Ghent and you're a member of this forum, you have definately been to this shop. Here's a pic of the shop as it is now: http://www.cityzine.be/nl/gidsen/gent/shopping/caron
this is how it looked when men were men and cars were for the sissies that didn't know how to handle a carriage:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/17/Veldstraat,_Ghent,_Belgium.jpg

Yes, I was there! Sadly, that was a couple of years before I joined here. I had picked up a crude version of wet shaving on my own but was not smart enough to seek out such treasures yet.

I only have one good, old time shop in my town. Their focus is cigars and pipes, and unfortunately, no shave stuff. I go back instead of online because of the service. I'm not a big spender. I only drop at most usually twenty bucks every couple weeks. But that doesn't matter to the owner. I always get good help and recommendations. I get free cutters and matches whenever I need them. Plus my total always seems to come to a bit less than the sum of the marked prices. I just smile, say thanks, and remember to come back.

I think it might help the economy if all our stores were like this. Sure we would pay a bit more for some stuff. But We might enjoy shopping for groceries instead of dreading the circus they call Walmart. Which BTW, their only as cheap as they have to be, and they discount some items while they mark up others. SWMBO and I have found we magically save money if we hit some of the smaller grocery stores first then only get what is actually cheaper at WM.

It is always sad to see the small as we say in the US mom and pop shops close. My small town had 2 family owned dept stores that had or could get by the either Wed or Sat anything that you needed. Both have been gone since the mid 1980's thanks to Wal-Mart!

joni mitchell- "big yellow taxi"

I'm always mixing her up with Janis Joplin, no idea why. Ah well, my mom taught me I shouldn't post anything after my third beer, should've listened.

LOL! My mom doesn't drink -because she's epileptic- and doesn't grasp the difference between email and social networking sites -she sort of skipped forums- but she has a delicate sense of etiquette and actually told me (I can't remember when, it was some time after my seventh beer) it's probably not a good idea to post anonymous comments when one is tipsy.
Maybe this thread should move to the Haberdashery. I'm sure my mom would love the Haberdashery if it wasn't for all the moneywasting on vanities that goes on in there.

are we really? We have shipped all of our manufacturing overseas, and are so consumer driven that all we want is cheap, chinese made crap. China and India are the next economic superpowers, we are on the downhill slide.

On a per-capita income basis, we're way, way ahead of India and China...they might have growing economies on a gross scale, but it'll be a long time before they catch up in terms of standard of living.

As a member of our younger generation myself, I'm not too worried. Though I am considering learning Mandarin. Just hedging bets. :laugh:

I just went to Caron this morning and I bought a nice best badger brush with their logo imprinted and splurged on a travel brush, also with their logo. The travel brush is a nice little thing that screws apart and stores the brush in the handle, I just couldn't resist it. And then I needed a stick of D.R.Harris fo travelling, too.
Their brushes appear to be made by Il Ceppo in Firenze, anyone heard of them?
The service was the same as always: a bit too quick to be comfortable, like they really want you out of their store as quickly as possible.

@blackfoot: if you've been to Ghent and you're a member of this forum, you have definately been to this shop. Here's a pic of the shop as it is now: http://www.cityzine.be/nl/gidsen/gent/shopping/caron
this is how it looked when men were men and cars were for the sissies that didn't know how to handle a carriage:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/17/Veldstraat,_Ghent,_Belgium.jpg
@djh: they charge 95 € for a silvertip, that's not going to hurt me so I'll pay a -mourning- visit this week.
@jethro: good idea about the autograph, maybe I should buy two brushes: one to shave and one to save for selling on ebay when I'm short on dough. Just wish I'd been to that shop more. Like Janis Joplin said: don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got till it's gone?

Looks like the type of store I would want to spend a lot of time exploring. I would prefer to pay a few extra dollars to buy from a mom and pop store than a big chain store.

Top Bottom