What's new

Andreas Bauer Meerschaum Pipe date code?

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I just received a shipment of estate meers from Italy and the majority are Andreas Bauers. I was pleased to find the all in really great shape. One has a silver band with A B & Co. Ltd. on one side and what looks to be a date code comprising of an anchor, a lion and an "a". Does anyone have any idea on what this means?
20230416_192849.jpg

20230416_192833.jpg

brandaves

Try this:

Hell of a score, by the way. :thumbup:
Thank you! I actually received several great pipes in this lot (I'll post them soon).

My original question was answered on another forum. This pipe is actually not an Andreas Bauer at all. It's a Albert Baker & Co. Ltd pipe and the date code is made in Birmingham England in 1900. Super happy with this score. It's in incredible shape for being 123 years old and easily the oldest functional pipe I own. I just finished cleaning it this evening, hopefully I'll get a bowl in tomorrow.

They're coming, I promise!

I will have to admit you have definitely peaked my interest in trying a meerschaum pipe and add one to my collection. I have my fathers lattice carved calabash but since it was his and he gave it to me before he passed it has way too much sentimental value to use it. I have been looking for an estate meerschaum to add to my collection that peaks my interest lately.

Larry

brandaves

I will have to admit you have definitely peaked my interest in trying a meerschaum pipe and add one to my collection. I have my fathers lattice carved calabash but since it was his and he gave it to me before he passed it has way too much sentimental value to use it. I have been looking for an estate meerschaum to add to my collection that peaks my interest lately.

Larry
There are certainly a lot of great options out there. Estate meers a little trickier then briars but the right one can be worth it!

Top Bottom