What's new

And this, my friends, is why padded envelopes are of the devil

We all like before-and-after shots. Here's one that doesn't go the happy way.

So a little while ago I lucked into what I thought would be a decent bargain on the 'bay. I won this mixed up set in an unusual Pocket Edition case for €11.50:

proxy.php

proxy.php

I would've thought that the €7.50 extra I paid for shipping would have at least bought a box to ship it in, but the seller apparently thought a padded envelope would be enough protection to ship it -- from Austria. :glare:

Yeah, he was wrong...

proxy.php

proxy.php

And he filled out the customs slip for nearly three times what I paid for the set in the first place, not that that made any difference...

:angry:

IMHO - he should get a negative review even when he refunds you a significant portion of the sale. I have no desire to buy a beautiful cased razor from someone who is too cheap to spring for a box.

I've never had a problem with razors in envelopes, provided they are padded very well. But cases are a big no-no. ALWAYS in a box, ALWAYS

Last edited:
IMHO - he should get a negative review even when he refunds you a significant portion of the sale. I have no desire to buy a beautiful cased razor from someone who is too cheap to spring for a box.

It will depend entirely on how he responds. Obviously there's nothing he could do to win positive feedback at this point, but if he handles it well I could see leaving neutral feedback with a warning message to other bidders.

It's not like he's a total newb either. He's over 1300 and has 100% positive feedback in the last 12 months. He's a general "stuff" vendor, though, and doesn't seem to deal much in razors. Still, it doesn't take a genius to figure out when a box is needed.

I've never had a problem with razors in envelopes, provided they are padded very well. But cases are a big no-no. ALWAYS in a box, ALWAYS

Agreed. I've got no problem sending a well wrapped loose razor in an envelope (though I do appreciate those folks who use a box anyway :thumbup1:) but how could anyone think this was a good idea? :confused1

So there wasn't even extra padding, just dunked it in the envelope?

No, the whole thing was wrapped with the foam wrap and bubble wrap you see there behind it, but the problem is that doesn't provide any crush resistance considering the open space inside the case -- or what used to be open space inside the case.

No, the whole thing was wrapped with the foam wrap and bubble wrap you see there behind it, but the problem is that doesn't provide any crush resistance considering the open space inside the case -- or what used to be open space inside the case.

Those old type cases are particularly fragile. Very poor choice. Best of luck resolving this situation. This reminds me of the post today in General Shaving about Pioneer having 4 old spice mugs delivered with no packaging. You can imagine what happened.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs

I seldom do a + plus, but this is a cardinal rule, doesn't matter if it is a steel case, when you send a case it needs much more protection than a razor - and in many cases, er, instances, the case is what makes the value higher, and cannot typically be repaired.

Wow, it looks like someone stomped on it.
I would never send a cased/boxed razor like that. Should have been wrapped and boxed. I would neg him, he should have known better.

That sucks out loud. I've purchased quite a few razors from sellers in Australia and England, and I've always been very impressed with how carefully they were packed. I wouldn't ship a cased razor like that even if was just going to the other side of town.

It is truly sad that this has happened.

I suppose we appreciate the importance and value but to me it jsut seemed sensible to pack inside the case and outside and make sure that it is in a box as well.

There are not enough to lose them like this!

I think if the seller is willing to resolve the issue, by offering a refund, or some other mutually agreed upon solution, then Negative Feedback is unnecessary. Just my opinion.

Sorry for your loss. But a negative feedback will change nothing if you don't play well. First of all you should seek to get a refund either full or partial(offer him amount of razor without shipping or something like that). If the sellers attitude is positive after the refund you give nothing or a neutral feedback. If he denies his carelessness and makes things harder, you can give him a well deserved negative feedback after you tried everything.

I agree with Berkin - give the guy a chance to make good on his stupid carelessness before leaving anything less than positive feedback. Put the ball in his court and see what he does with it!

I always ship things in sturdy boxes. I buy them in bulk and factor the cost into the shipping and handling. Padded envelopes are a big no-no for razors as far as I am concerned.

I have shipped individual razors, well packed in padded envelopes, but a cased one? That just seems like you are trying to save on shipping while not trying to charge your customer less.

I am sorry to hear of your loss and hope that this gets resolved amicably.

Top Bottom