What's new

And now it's time for some Chinese...coffee?

Thank you for the link. I found this interesting:

Today about 70% of China's coffee comes from a newer coffee plant hybrid varietal known as Catimor which is more resistant to the dreaded coffee rust that has plagued the plants.

This increase in the Catimor varietal was largely driven my coffee companies (e.g., Nestle) which provided coffee farmers with the plants as well as incentives and training. However the Catimor variety is not well-accepted in the specialty coffee market and increasing Arabica production is being undertaken in an effort to bring China to the gourmet coffee market.

I have never heard of this hybrid strain of coffee. I'm assuming it's not a type of Arabica bean- is it a Robusta style bean? - especially with Nestle providing the plants, etc.

I also wonder how old the article is?

Thank you for the link. I found this interesting:

Today about 70% of China's coffee comes from a newer coffee plant hybrid varietal known as Catimor which is more resistant to the dreaded coffee rust that has plagued the plants.

This increase in the Catimor varietal was largely driven my coffee companies (e.g., Nestle) which provided coffee farmers with the plants as well as incentives and training. However the Catimor variety is not well-accepted in the specialty coffee market and increasing Arabica production is being undertaken in an effort to bring China to the gourmet coffee market.

I have never heard of this hybrid strain of coffee. I'm assuming it's not a type of Arabica bean- is it a Robusta style bean? - especially with Nestle providing the plants, etc.

I also wonder how old the article is?
Not old , and the planet has several types of coffee ....

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-24 104051.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-06-24 104051.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 4
Top Bottom