What's new

Anchor Steam Brewing to close down

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
For the record, this has litle to do with San Francisco's social/political problems, and nothing to do with the craft beer scene.
This is mostly a global mega-corp trying to shoehorn a specialty business into a standardized widget model and running the business into the ground.
DING DING DING!

I used to drink it with a buddy in San Diego in the late 70s. Very fond memories. Out of the Air Force, rent was $115/month (not a typo) and had my health. We still keep in touch today.
Edit: I tell people back then downtown San Diego was mainly cheap hotels, Asian restaurants under $2 a meal, seedy bookstores and all night $1 second run movie theaters. Then in the 80s money moved in and ruined everything. Very safe city back then.
I too remember Anchor Steam from the late 70's with fond memories. I was in Los Gatos (SF Bay Area). Rent was $60/month. This was in a house on 36 acres. Then money moved in in the 80's. It would be painful to go back and visit now.

I used to drink it with a buddy in San Diego in the late 70s. Very fond memories. Out of the Air Force, rent was $115/month (not a typo) and had my health. We still keep in touch today.
Edit: I tell people back then downtown San Diego was mainly cheap hotels, Asian restaurants under $2 a meal, seedy bookstores and all night $1 second run movie theaters. Then in the 80s money moved in and ruined everything. Very safe city back then.
I remember eating at those Chinese Restaurants, shopping at Walker Scotts and Woolrich's, before ultimately ending up at the Navy Exchange at 32nd st

I too remember Anchor Steam from the late 70's with fond memories. I was in Los Gatos (SF Bay Area). Rent was $60/month. This was in a house on 36 acres. Then money moved in in the 80's. It would be painful to go back and visit now.
I'm a couple miles over in Los Altos, but spend a lot of time in Los Gatos. That house is probably $60/square foot now!

I'm a couple miles over in Los Altos, but spend a lot of time in Los Gatos. That house is probably $60/square foot now!
My sister is in Los Altos, and so was my mother until she passed recently, so I do see Los Altos once in a while, but I haven't been to Los Gatos in quite a few years.

I remember eating at those Chinese Restaurants, shopping at Walker Scotts and Woolrich's, before ultimately ending up at the Navy Exchange at 32nd st
I remember that Dept. store but not the name. There was a nicer Chinese restaurant right next to it on 5th. I bet it's still there. FYI I was going to City College at the time. I actually heard PSA flight 182 when it crashed.

I remember that Dept. store but not the name. There was a nicer Chinese restaurant right next to it on 5th. I bet it's still there. FYI I was going to City College at the time. I actually heard PSA flight 182 when it crashed.
I was in a Gemco Parking lot when the alert came across the Mighty690

My sister is in Los Altos, and so was my mother until she passed recently, so I do see Los Altos once in a while, but I haven't been to Los Gatos in quite a few years.
I’m a few miles south of you two. I had some anchor steam a couple weeks back and enjoyed it. Then I heard the news of the closing. I hear the sales got a boost from the news. Everyone is nostalgic now it’s going away. Looks like some people are thinking of saving it? Fingers crossed 🤞

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I’m a few miles south of you two. I had some anchor steam a couple weeks back and enjoyed it. Then I heard the news of the closing. I hear the sales got a boost from the news. Everyone is nostalgic now it’s going away. Looks like some people are thinking of saving it? Fingers crossed 🤞

Hope springs eternal, but I have to say my expectations remain low.

Sapporo decimated the brand. The label change was a mockery of everything that the brand represented, to me at least.

That being said, I can't remember the last time I saw anchor steam, either on- or off-premise. Anchor's sales channels had been shrinking for some time.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
There is certainly the facts that
San Francisco is suffering from corporate abandoning, and that beer in general and craft beer in particular is suffering an overall slump, but...
Sapporo had a huge hand in killing Anchor while trying to force it into a main-stream category.

If you're in your local shop and wanted to try something new, which of these would you grab?
th-869009818.jpg

th-4221265310.jpg

San Francisco is suffering from corporate abandoning, and that beer in general and craft beer in particular is suffering an overall slump, but...
Sapporo had a huge hand in killing Anchor while trying to force it into a main-stream category.

If you're in your local shop and wanted to try something new, which of these would you grab?
View attachment 1688344
View attachment 1688345
Wow. I hadn't seen that. Definitely a sales-killer, at least for me.

My buddies wife does some Healthcare consulting in SF, money is super good.

But not do good I would want to spend week at a time there.

View attachment 1688344
View attachment 1688345

Yeah the new packaging was garbage, Sapporo really made some bad decisions when they took over.
I read a Forbes article about the shutdown and one of the quotes likened it to something that you'd ask AI to generate for you... I definitely don't think it did them any favors with long-time fans, and obviously didn't gain them enough new ones.

I saw several stores promoting that they had it in stock when the shutdown was announced, and I did see some notes on Beer Advocate about stock getting bought up pretty quickly. Probably people looking to have it for the last time before it's unavailable (at least I hope that's the case and not people looking to resell old Anchor for a profit somewhere down the road 🙄)

My wife and I courted (That's how old we are) to $5.00 pitchers of Anchor Steam and free baskets of peanuts at a little bar in Chico, CA before Chico became famous as the home of Sierra Nevada. We had a keg of Anchor at our wedding.
This is another example of a multi-national corporation taking a 125 year old institution and killing it in 5 years.

View attachment 1688344
View attachment 1688345
Before the craft beer explosion in Portland and Oregon in general, Anchor Steam and Porter were regulars for me. I had a few Liberty Ales along the way, but the Porter pointed me to a long term predilection. It may well have been my first American porter from a bigger brewery.

I can't bemoan brewery closures. That has been the story consistently for 50 years. Just celebrate the many openings that more than counterbalance. Beers are looking up!

Top Bottom