What's new

An aromatic brush restoration problem; help! And other questions, too.

Aromatic is a far more polite way of describing my plight than saying that the green marbled Ever Ready smells like butyric acid, a smell that you might know from romano and parmesan cheeses and, unfortunately for me, from vomit.

Here's the story. Over the past two weeks, I acquired these five brushes one at a time on eBay. The knot on the black and amber Ever Ready pulled out by hand rather easily. The pale butterscotch Made Rite's knot (second from the right) had just the smallest dab of adhesive holding it into a metal collar, so it pulled out easily as well. The largest Made Rite on the far left had to be drilled out with a Dremel. Although I had masked fairly well, I will confess that I knicked a bit of the rim, but that's minor. The marbled butterscotch Ever Ready on the right cooperated on my brush removal pretty well.

But, then, there's that nasty green Ever Ready. The knot was moderately difficult to drill out. I poked through the shelf, mostly unintentionally. As I was cutting throught stump of the knot and the old adhesive, I was overcome by the nasty smell that's best described as fried puke. I've washed the cavity with Dawn dish soap (the stuff they use to clean water fowl after oil spills) and white vingear alternately, but still, the darned thing stinks. What to do?

Thought #1: drill out the remainder of the shelf in hopes that the odor emanates from the adhesive remenants and will go way when they disappear.

Thought #2: hope that rebuilding the floor with a coin, a wine cork and loads of epoxy seals in whatever nastiness remains.

Thought #3: the handle has got to go, as the smell will never leave.

I would hate to finish this little project (it's cost me about $10 for the handle) by adding a nice $15-30 TGN knot only to find that aroma is like the beast from a horror movie that will not die or go away.

$12251207025_8e47b7acbc_c.jpg

Has anyone encountered a similar problem and does anyone have a solution???

On a related note, I've a question about choosing new knots. Sizing ... how much leeway do I have on knot diameter. TGN's site notes their knots are typically about 0.5mm nominally smaller than the stated size. All five of these brushes measure 20mm or slightly bigger, but none of them quite as big as 22. Should I buy all 20's and then file to fit where they're tight (that's gonna be a Yes) AND what of the ones where they're going to be a little loose? How loose is okay before you step up to the next size knot and file to make it fit?

$12251644614_5ca96520e3.jpg

I do not have the steady hands of my dentist. While I enjoy the act of grinding away with the dremel (and pretending as I do that I'm extracting pain and teeth from the dentists who have tortured my poor wife for many years), the reality is I'm not all that good at that part of this, so, I'd prefer not to be doing much resizing if I can avoid it. I'm not terribly concerned about drilling to adjust depth, but I am a little worried about messing up on diameter since mistakes there seem harder to hide.

A few before pictures:
that green one did polish up rather nicely using Flitz...
View attachment 409171

Here you can see that metal collar from one of the Made Rites. I presume there is no sense trying to extract that, right?
$12122923266_272b0d5844_c.jpg

The butterscotch Simpsons 32 in the threaded holder will either go to Simpsons or Rudy Vey for restoration. This is a family heirloom (Mrs.'s grandpa we think).
$12122920976_edc07523bf_c.jpg

Nice collection. As for the stinky one, I would definitely remove the whole shelf and all remnants of the knot and adhesive. I think I would attempt to get one of those fluffy (LOL) dremel abrassive wheels in there and have a quck go at getting down to clean plastic (careful, those walls are thin) and then if the smell is still there I would go for something like soft scrub with bleach and a nylon scrubbing wheel (maybe one where the bristles point down and another where they point out) before I would throw it out. Also if you simply filled the thing with epoxy or expanding foam or whatever it might just seal it off.

Good advice from duderubble. I've had that smell in some handles I've restored, and after all the drilling, cleaning epoxying, and new knot installation, it's gone away every time. I'm pretty sure it's the old adhesive or old knot. I hear your concern, though. It would be unusable if the smell persisted. As for the diameter, I like to buy knots 1-2mm below the diameter of the hole, so I can set them down a bit. Don't fear adjusting the handle a bit to fit. It's not as hard as it looks, though you will have to remove the metal collar if there is one to do so.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I suspect that the smell must originate from either an organically-based glue or from residue from tallow-based soaps that worked itself deep into the base old knot. Whatever the cause, it's unbearable. Worst of all is that the odor imprinted itself on my brain yesterday while I was doing the grinding. Now, I think I smell it everywhere. Ugh!
:cursing::a52::a31:

Capslock or anyone else: how would you get the metal collar out of that one handle?

I'm inclined to leave it be and hope that a 20mm knot fits just right.

Brings new meaning to...

I found a dead badger

Hey good luck-I've used Mac brush cleaner, vinegar, as well as my tallow soaps to de-funk brushes. The advice to get rid of the rest of the adhesive is a good route to go. Just do yourself one more favor (a la CSI)-rub some Vick's Vapo Rub under your nose while you work

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
It might be a butyl based glue. they stink when you grind them. If your uncomfortable using the dermal, wrap some 150 grit around a dowel and do it by hand. The smell should go away when you seal it. good luck LP

butyl glue >>> butyric acid smell... that makes sense. the hand sanding sounds like a good plan.

I got a similar metal collar out by bending it inwards slowly and carefully with needle nose pliers. Once you start your committed to getting it out. If your knot fits I would leave it in and only remove it if it doesn't.

Good luck with the smell I think it'll be better once you get all of the old glue out.

removing it all -- that's on tomorrow's docket.

the collar -- yeah, that'll probably stay put if possible.

guys, thanks. keep those ideas coming.

Top Bottom