What's new

Am I the only one getting 7 shaves out of a blade?

I can get seven days out of a single Russian Yeller. Lately I've gotten to where I'm taking a day of the weekend off--depending on schedule.

Being redheaded I probably have less whiskers but they have the thickest follicle of any hair color. So, I'm going to say it is the equivalence to everyone else.

I switched to DE shaving to avoid having to milk every last semi-comfortable shave out of a $3.50 cartridge in order to feel like I got my money's worth.

So... I switch blades after 3-4 shaves, which is the point where most blades start to show slight pulling for me. Lord Plats, Sharks, and Red IP's are all 15 cents or less per blade, give me 3-4 great shaves, and are so cheap that I have no compulsion to use them beyond their comfort point.

3 tops for me. So far I've tried Personna (Red), Astra SP, Feathers, Gillette Yellow, Derbys (1 great shave only), Merkurs (none). I will be trying Iridium, and Bic among others. Personnas have been the best so far.

Yep, 3-4 here too from my astras. I've tried to push it further a couple of times, but the fifth shave usually goes wrong. I tried five from a IP red, but it got messy. :D

I'm only doing two pass shaves with a teeny touch up. I go diagonal WTG/XTG, then diagonal ATG/XTG with a slide. I have NO idea how people get so many shaves out of these blades... I'm relatively young, so i should have the benefit!

I just realized I've never even tried how long a DE blade can last. Must be the excitement of going through my sampler pack. :001_smile

Does it depend on the brand or are there "universal" signs the blade is at its end? Tugging & pulling, more nicks, whiskers just don't get cut?

I have a medium-light beard. On the cheeks, it's growing very patchily and hardly at all on the sides of my neck. I've also grown a mustache and some sort of goatee so there's not that much left to shave really. I usually do 2 passes + possible touch ups so I think I could easily go for a full week on one blade. May even with a Feather!

I started getting a lot more shaves out of a blade, after I began hitting my rinsed off razor with a blast from the wife's hair dryer (which is always out on the counter) before putting it away.

I recently read some material that claims that moisture left on the blade causes micro-corrosion, which is more to blame for blade dullness than chopping down whiskers. That seems to be true for me.

I get at least 7 shaves out of a blade; and just finished the 9th one on a Merkur blade, DFS plus quality.

My beard is "medium" IMO, not super heavy, but always looking back at me each morning.

I can get 7 shaves from my SE blades, although I generally change them after 4 shaves, since I prefer a very sharp blade.

I generally get 3 shaves from my DE blades (Astra SP's), although I could probably push it to 4 shaves. But again, I prefer a sharp blade so I change a little more often than needed.

This also works well with my rotation which is 3 days of the week with the DE razor and 4 days of the week with the SE razor for a complete week.

DD

3 shaves with Derby's, 3 passes on my face and 2 passes on my head, and I toss the blade. I probably could get a 4th shave out of a blade, but why chance it with such a low cost. I figure I am covering a lot of area doing my face and head that it would be like a person who shaves only their face to get 5 good shaves from the blade.

I replace my blade on Monday. If the blade isn't very good, Saturday and Sunday will take a bit more work. I've found that Iridiums just want to keep going. They do get duller, but for me they don't get rougher. Every once in a while I get a magic Derby that even after a week is better than most fresh Derby's. Also every once in a while I get a magic Feather that stays super smooth all week long. They usually get rough about half way through the week.

All of the currently available blades I use, I go for 3, 3 pass shaves then toss them.
If I try for 4 days, I always regret it. Feathers, RPIP and Yellow & O'Clocks are my main ones in rotation.

The only blades I've ever got more than 3 out of were some vintage Schick Platinum Plus (7) and UK Wilkinson Sword(6). For me, longevity is the main difference between NOS and new. I don't think they are sharper, but they definitely last longer. I still haven't decided if they're "worth it". YMMV

Top Bottom