What's new

"Am I really going to cut up my first strop?"

Posted without comment:

1000000607.jpg

That’s ok. As long as you’re learning.

I started with a 2 inch strop that I nicked up when I started. I got a paddle strop which made it easier for me to learn.

Or your bride walks behind you and you move a scooch to let her by, or she asks you a question and you answer.

It is funny, stropping requires all your concentration.

The trick is to stop… then flip and softly land the edge after the strop is moving in the opposite direction. The spine never leaves the strop.

Hold the razor with thumb and fore finger on the corners of the tang and control flip with the thumb, like flipping a switch.

The trick is to stop… then flip and softly land the edge after the strop is moving in the opposite direction. The spine never leaves the strop.

Hold the razor with thumb and fore finger on the corners of the tang and control flip with the thumb, like flipping a switch.
Interesting. I hold mine with the thumb and forefinger on the shank, not the tang and as far as I can tell, I'm flipping it over at each end before it stops. Ive been doing this for about two months, and so far, no nicks. I can't help but wonder how much longer before I do.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I’ll post just for a completely different experience. I’ve never cut a strop with razors, at all, even when learning. The exception is stropping kitchen knives, and I regularly scratch or nick a strop, so I just use paddle strops with replaceable leather.

The reason is that I don’t strop like everyone else does. My muscle memory was from stropping kitchen knives, with which you lift the blade and flip edge down, you can’t strop a kitchen knife by rolling it over on the spine. So that’s what I did when I began with razors, probably 14 years ago now. And someone else does this too, maybe Glen M?

There are some advantages, you don’t wear gold off the spine, and if the spine has decorated/carved/rough metal, you don’t scratch the strop. I’ve been told several times that I should just learn the classic razor technique, but what I’m doing works well for me so I see no point. Alex Gilmore watched me strop and questioned if I was rolling the edge, but the answer was no, and he shaved with the edge that I honed and stropped and liked it. If Alex likes your edge, that’s good enough for me.

Knock on wood.

Unless you are able to walk on water and turn water into wine it is inevitable that when you put a piece of steel with a razor edge on a piece of soft leather you are likely at some point to take a nick or a slice out of the leather. No big deal. As long as the nicks and slices don't interfere with the stropping accept them as battle scars.

Unless you are able to walk on water and turn water into wine it is inevitable that when you put a piece of steel with a razor edge on a piece of soft leather you are likely at some point to take a nick or a slice out of the leather. No big deal. As long as the nicks and slices don't interfere with the stropping accept them as battle scars.

100% agreement. The purpose of a strop is to keep your blades in good condition. The purpose of your blades is not to keep your strops in good condition. Take care of them, of course, but remember why you're doing things.

Fortunately it has staged a strong comeback!

View attachment 1810339
It's a bit ghostly pale after its near death experience but it strops real nice. Better than ever in fact - I sanded it much flatter than it was to start with. I could oil it to bring the colour back but I like the draw as it is!

Yeah, oiling them is a tricky affair. You can screw up the draw for a long time if you over do it. I don't condition the leather unless there's no doubt it needs it.

Top Bottom