What's new

Alum Block Question

Before I purchased alum I used an alcohol based aftershave splash. As normal because of the high amount of alcohol (80%) it really stung. Alcohol based aftershaves actually dehydrates you skin. It was originally used by barbers when people would get shaved with straight razors. It was also thought to disinfect the skin. In March I purchased a block of Osma alum and began using it then use the aftershave splash. The alum block is normally rubbed on the face and neck where your beard was shaved off. Believe me the alum burns just as much as the aftershave splash. The alum also dehydrates your skin, shrinks it and closes your pores. Some people rinses their face after the alum drys some do not. Alum is also an antibacterial. After about two weeks I began to develop a small red rash on my neck. I knew it was not from any of my many soaps or creams because I rotate them every day. One morning my entire neck up to my jaw bone had a rash that looked like measles. My skin was nothing but raised red bumps which burnt and was very itchy. I looked so bad that I cancelled an appointment. Before I called my dermatologist I went to the net. To make a long story short, I read that if this happens do not use anything that dehydrates you skin or use an antibacterial. Both of which is alum. I stopped using alum and the after shave and the rash was gone the next day. I now only use alcohol free aftershave balm and I have not had any issues since. It has now been about eight months since it happened. However, it is like anything else some people use alum and never have any problems some do. But again, alum closes your pores, shrinks the skin, basically disinfects your skin and stops bleeding from minor nicks. I still use the alum to apply to any nicks that I may get but I do not rub it on my entire face any longer.

You know I heard the same thing. But what is interesting many people use pure alum as an underarm deodorant. If a styptic pencil or powder won't stop the bleeding try soaking a piece of tissue paper soaked in witch hazel and press it on the cut. If that does not work call911.

Last edited:
You know I heard the same thing. But what is interesting many people use pure alum as an underarm deodorant. If a styptic pencil or powder won't stop the bleeding try soaking a piece of tissue paper soaked in witch hazel and press it on the cut. If that does not work call911.
I used to use tiny little pieces of tissue paper when I cut myself with a cartridge razor. I noticed that some other people where I worked did the same thing because they forgot to remove them before leaving their home. The best way to deal with cuts that I found when using cartridge razors was to have a shower after shaving rather than before. By the time I'd finished showering, the cuts had always stopped bleeding. Didn't stop my neck from going red and looking like a Doberman had been at it though.

I just like how it seems to tighten up my face after the shave. If I don't use it for a few days, I do notice that I'm more prone to bumps and pimples.

...What is it like ...
It is like a crystal block, at least the ones that are extracted through mining.

...what is the purpose for it?...
Alum is an astringent and has antibacterial properties. It is used for relief of minor skin irritations, scrapes and minor cuts.
I use potassium alum as a very effective astringent, very much like witch hazel.
Alum is also use in medicine, cosmetics and food.

...Does it make the end of the shave much better?...
Yes, to me is just another ingredient for a successful shave. I don't use it every day, but almost.

...Does it sting at all?...
It doesn't sting me at all, but when I shave with a messed up lather, I get tingling sensation in the neck area.

...Is it good for the skin?...
In my uneducated opinion, yes it is very good for skin.

...Please give me info on this...
Most important details are:
- Use ONLY Potassium Alum
- Use the ones that are mined so they come as blocks, clear in places, almost like glass.
- It has to be clear, white clear, without any hints of yellow or brown.
- price is not a real factor since they last a very long time = great value.

I agree that Bloc Osma is one of the best, but there are others equally good.

I hope this helps.

google it.

Fascinating thread. I learned a few things from y'all. Thanks.

I used a styptic pencil (Al sulfate + TiO2) on weepers until someone on B&B suggested painting your face with it. Or come to think of it, maybe they said don't paint your face with it. Anyway, that was fun except that I could taste bitter lemon on my lips. Potash alum on the other hand doesn't taste as interesting, but it is more soothing. And. And uh. Wait, what's the topic again? Oh dear. Who am I?
Alex I have done the exact same thing and rubbed styptic pencil all over my face after a shave. I have never tried alum but I donuse witch hazel. I find that I get less irritation when I use the styptic pencil.

Yes I know that styptic pencils are not designed to be used in this fashion but for me it works.

Has anyone used both a styptic pencil and alum block to describe the difference as a post shave astringent?

Everyone with cancer has had corn flakes.. still not sure of the connection but i'd stay away from then until this is better understood.

Top Bottom