What's new

almost Xmas greetings

Greetings badgerites...I have been lurking for some time now and decided it was about time I made my presence known. Passed the 6-0 mark a while back so am not new to the concept of wetshaving. Shucks, when I started shaving the only thing disposable was the blade you chucked into the slot in the back of the medicine cabinet. Used a DE for a while, Gillette I am sure, and remember thin (brown) blades costing a penny. They were ultra sharp and could slice you up badly but were only good for one shave, at least for me. Blue blades were 5 cents but lasted a week. I ended up using an injector for decades until it just got easier to use a cartridge razor and eventually a disposable. Settled on the Schick SE, which still gives me good results but has no soul.

What brought me here was the need for a new brush. My wife bought me a cheap brush 17 years ago and it finally wore out. In searching for a new one, I found B&B and this august company. Gotten a lot of good info which makes the daily shave a LOT better and even bought a Merkur from Roger Sadowsky, who I highly recommend not only as a seller but as a good person.

Again thanks for the cameraderie and the information. I look forward to contributing from my hazy memories of shaving in the dark Ages...Bruce

Bruce, welcome to B&B.

As for a new brush....get a nice badger brush. The C&E badger brush is not real expensive... $35, and is pretty decent

Or you could try www.emsplace.com and see what brushes Emily has...she is really good to deal with.

Or try www.vintagebladesllc.com and see what Jim has to offer on brushes. He is also a joy to do business with.

Then there's also the B&B Essential brush...which is hopefully coming out very soon.

I'd say you could go big and get a Simpsons, Rooney, or Kent....but I don't want to give you a heart attack..$$$$$$$$$$

If you like boar brushes, you could go for an Omega

Well, I have put out some strong hints to the wife and kids about Christmas coming up. My oldest is a Navy doc stationed in Sicily, so no telling what he might find there.

Until then, I dug up my grandfather's shaving mug and brush. I know the mug is about 100 years old, he probably had it made when he came to the USA from Austria in 1907 and the brush is older than I am, but still in better shape than mine. The butt has 100 on it and what appears to be RREG stamped in the bakelite, no other markings, except EverReady Guaranteed. Worked well, although I was rather gentle with it, but it only has to last another week before being put back in the safe for posterity.

Welcome! The only shaving product I inherited from my dad was a can of Foamy and a disposable Bic. I often remind him how much I appreciated that start into shaving. :001_rolle As a form of payback he is building me a razor and brush stand to display my current collection.

My dad used Blue Blades for many years. I can recall him saying in the 70's, regarding blade quality, "They [Gillette] are trying to fool the people! I'm using Wilkinson swords from now on!"
In retrospect that sort of competetion is probably what drove Gillette out of the DE business.
I never knew what those little slots in the medicine casbinets in old homes were for until I read here that they were for the old blades.
Welcome!

Top Bottom