What's new

All Natural Soaps

Hello all,

Recently I have had the pleasure to get to use some all natural soaps; of which includes a local soapmaker, Mike's, and Ogallala soaps. They have far outperformed my Lever2000 soap that I had been using over the years. Out of those three the Ogallala seems to lather up the best and combines to be a shampoo bar. Now I was thinking since I have gotten into the whole "natural" soaps that it would give me an opportunity to ask the community for some more recommendations. I would prefer that these be more home grown businesses rather than Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, etc. Maybe if your local soap maker has a website I could order from I will defiantly give it a shot. I know I sometimes see some Esty links floating around from members on here. Eventually I hope to have a good amount of soaps to sample and give back to the community of what the soaps are like for me.

Reviews coming soon!

How I will sample each soap: For overall the lower the number the more important.

Name/Scent: Name of the company "Scent being evaluated"
Ingredients: All of the ingredients shown either on the package or the site
Overall Rating: Smell(4) X1 + Lather(2) X3 + Value(3) X2 + Lastingness (1) X4 = Highest score being 100.
Smell: How the soap smells when being applied to the skin and post application
Lather: How well the soap lathers on me, full of suds or full of watery soap.
Value: Price divided by amount of soap in grams
Lastingness: Size of soap bar divided by how many days until fully disintegrated.
Where to Buy: Where you can purchase the bar of soap.

Controlled Variables:

Height of my body from sole of foot to top of the head is 74 inches.

Soap will be kept in a 94 inch long X 58 inch wide bathroom with sheetrock walls on a 10 inch X 2.5 inch ledge housed on a fiberglass one-piece unit shower.
The bathroom will be closed by a solid wooden door

Vinyl curtains that keep privacy in the bathroom will be fully closed

Each time I shower I will be in the shower for exactly 7 and a half minutes. As soon as my shower is done I will then place the soap on the holder and open the door to release the heat/humidity.

The temperature will be measured shortly in my bathroom using a temperature gauge at 4 and a half minutes with the gauge being right on the ledge where the soap will go.

To test the soap I will swipe the soap five times starting from the top of my left temple, down my leg, and ending at my right temple. Two swipes along each arm.

Will take two showers daily.

Uncontrollable Variables:
House temperature. It will be nearly impossible to control what the rest of the house will be day by day.

Humidity in the bathroom

How fast I swipe my soap

What time I take my showers. I work different hours sometimes, sorry guys.

Some questions and answers:

So you are sampling soap to judge their lastingness, yet you don't want to use a soap dish, soap net, or (name product here). What give's?

My goal is to have consistency in my experiment, and with soap dishes, nets, and other supplies could be impacted because the product is outside of the shower, gets loaded (unloaded) in a different style, has residue from other soap, and most of all my time! I can't take 3-4 months to review each single soap, and this helps speed up the process. That is not to say that you shouldn't use these supplies, you defiantly should! It will likely improve how long the soap lasts by a longshot.

Here's what I have to sample (and review) so far: [Green= Ready to Sample, Orange= Ordered and on way, Red= Waiting to be Ordered]

Ogallala Toiletry Company:

Ogallala Bay Rum "Original" Soap/Shampoo bar
Ogallala Bay Rum "Sandalwood" Soap/Shampoo bar
Ogallala Bay Rum "Sage and Cedar" Soap/Shampoo bar
Ogallala Bay Rum "Limes and Peppercorn" Soap/Shampoo bar
Ogallala Bay Rum "Lemongrass" Soap/Shampoo bar
Ogallala Bay Rum "Sweet Orange" Soap/Shampoo bar

Mike's All Natural Soaps:

Lavender, Peppermint, & Tea Tree Shampoo Bar
Barber Shop Shea Butter Bath Soap
Orange, Clove, & Cinnamon Shea Butter Bath Soap
Pine & Cedarwood Olive Oil Bath Soap
Lily of the Valley Kokum Butter Bath Soap

Captain's Choice Soaps:

Olive Oil Based "Cool Mint"
Olive Oil Based "Citrus"
Olive Oil Based "Pacific Seaweed"
Olive Oil Based "Almond Mist"

BayFrontTreasure's:

Bay Rum
Beach Walk
Midsummer Night
Neem Oil Based Soap "Healing powers"

NancyBoy:

Signature
Spa
Replenishing

Queen Charlotte Soaps:

Tallow/Shea Butter: "Almond"
Tallow/Shea Butter: "Clean Cotton"
Tallow/Shea Butter: "Green Irish Tweed"
Tallow/Shea Butter: "Desert Sands"
Vegan/Shea Butter: "Tea Tree"
Vegan/Shea Butter: "Caribbean Coconut"
Vegan/Shea Butter: "Spiced Chai"
Vegan/Shea Butter: "Vanilla Lavender"
Specialty: "Goat Milk Honey and Oats"
Specialty: "Kitchen Coffee"
Specialty: "Lemon Salt Bar"
Specialty: "Volcano"
Shampoo Bars: "Cafe' De Amande"
Shampoo Bars: "Peppermint Eucalyptus"
Shampoo Bars: "Ylang Ylang Tangerine"
Shampoo Bars: "Orange Spice"

Reviews:
1) Name/Scent: Ogallala Bay Rum Company "Original"
Ingredients: Coconut oil, Palm Oil, Castor Oil, Safflower Oil, Glycerin, Purified Water, Sodium Hydroxide, Sorbitol, Shea Butter, Sorbitan Oleate, Soybean Protein, Titanium Dioxide
Overall Rating: 8 + 22.5 + 13 + 24 = 67.5/100
Smell: 8
Lather: 7.5
Value: 6.5 144/$5.25 = 27.43oz per $
Lastingness: 6 144/11= 13.09g per 2 washes
Where to Buy: Ogallala Bay Rum Official Store + Amazon + West Coast Shaving

Last edited:
I have been loving Stirling bath soaps. He makes both veggie and tallow based bath soaps, of which I have only tried the tallow - which are great. I think it's worth a shot for you, especially if you like tallow. But I'm sure the veggie ones are great, too.

Great project, hilarious post setting out the parameters!
I can think of two things to suggest --
1) Maybe you can order some Strop Shoppe soaps, too. They're not local to me, but they're on the same playing field as Mike's or Ogallala in that regard. I bought their Black Tie bath bar, myself (still unopened).

2) In the case of Mike's Barbershop scented bath bar, the ingredient list on the website ("vegan") did not match the ingredient list on the label (which had the first ingredient as "saponified tallow"). Just pointing out something further down your list to be aware of.

Thanks for doing this!

Sorbitol?? Titanium dioxide?? Doesn't sound very natural

Sorbitol occurs naturally in many stone fruits and berries.
As previously stated Titanium Dioxide is a natural mineral.

The Sorbitol would be used as a humectant, and typically Titanium Dioxide is used in soap making to whiten the color of the bar.

The only non-natural components generally found in craft made soap is fragrance oils, and they would appear at a rate of anywhere between 3-5% typically. Some makers use essential oils although many do not due to the cost.

Top Bottom