What's new

Ahhh! The blood! The blood!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Thanks for the input. My razor is a Merkur 38C and I've tried almost every blade, but the ones that seem to work best for me are Iridiums, Astras, and Gillette yellows. I have a Vulfix pure badger brush (I forget the model number) and use D.R. Harris soap and TOBS avocado cream. Also, the hair on my neck grows in all different directions and I thought I had it mapped out pretty good. How long does it take to get a good technique down? I'm sure it's different for everyone, but shouldn't I be getting better shaves after 6 months?

It depends how often you shave. If it's once a week vs every day. If you shave every day, then, you should get results that approach consistent DFS after 1-2 months.

Thanks for the input. My razor is a Merkur 38C and I've tried almost every blade, but the ones that seem to work best for me are Iridiums, Astras, and Gillette yellows. I have a Vulfix pure badger brush (I forget the model number) and use D.R. Harris soap and TOBS avocado cream. Also, the hair on my neck grows in all different directions and I thought I had it mapped out pretty good. How long does it take to get a good technique down? I'm sure it's different for everyone, but shouldn't I be getting better shaves after 6 months?

What do you mean by "work best for you"? Does that mean no weepers or does that mean only 4-6 weepers?

If it is the latter, then I would begin to suspect your razor. Or your pressure.

Try this: Using as light of pressure as you can possibly manage yet still controlling the razor do a South to North pass on your neck. Re-lather. Then, on the right side of your neck go from SE to NW then on the left side go from NE to SW. Re-lather. Do a pass straight across from East to West, i.e. from your right shoulder to your left.

Are you chasing BBS? The best advise I can give is pretend you're starting over from scratch - work on a getting a good lather, and restrict yourself to 2 strictly WTG passes.
No, it won't be the closest shave, but you're aiming for smooth and consistent here. Don't try to get any more aggressive until you perfect that basic shave.

Also, Kyle's prep is, IMO, total overkill - you might be overstressing your sensitive skin. Wash your face with warm water, lather up, let it sit there for 3 minutes, then start shaving.

Top Bottom