What's new

Aftershave recommendation

Brut balm is incredible, feels good, smells good, lasts long time. Of the alcohol based ***, AV is my favorite.

So far I have only come in contact with three of the many Bay Rums, and yes I think Pinaud's is the best so far. To me PCVIBR contains everything a good aftershave should: burn, soothing & healing properties, and a great scent.

Yes, Pinaud's comes in a plastic bottle, but I deal with it. Eventually, I plan to either find a vintage glass bottle or just get a glass bottle that I will decant into. I also like Vi-Jon's Ivy Club Spice, and I decant it into a glass bottle since it only comes in a plastic bottle.

Good suggestion about the decant thing. Do you (or does anyone reading this) know of a good web site to buy empty glass bottles that would be appropriate for decanting aftershave? I suppose I could keep my empty bottle of Aqua Velva, soak off the label, and siphon some new stuff into the AV glass container.

Good suggestion about the decant thing. Do you (or does anyone reading this) know of a good web site to buy empty glass bottles that would be appropriate for decanting aftershave? I suppose I could keep my empty bottle of Aqua Velva, soak off the label, and siphon some new stuff into the AV glass container.

Some guys buy off eBay, others find them in antique stores, and then some specialty stores, like Hobby Lobby, actually carry decanters. I have even thought about cleaning up Worcestershire bottles....LOL Other used after shave bottles would work as well. Of course, with PCVIBR you need a bigger bottle since you mainly find it in the 12oz. bottles.

I want to thank everyone for some very helpful responses. I found it interesting that some of the big name fragrance houses like Polo, Taylor of Old Broad Street, Truefit & Hill, etc. didn't get named. Perhaps they're better known for their colognes than for any real expertise with aftershaves. Any thoughts here? One idea brought up in these responses that really interests me is the great line by St. Charles Shaving. I think I'll have to get to know this Sue you speak of. The idea of using a milk aftershave product seems to be an ideal compromise between a balm and a splash, and a nice complement to bring into my rotation. All her milks looked intriguing, but the one that interests me most I didn't see reviewed on B&B . . . it's Bay Rum with a Twist. (a twist of Lime with the Bay rum). It's a tall white bottle. Does anyone have any experience with this product? Also, the Mediterranean Citrus got killer reviews in the B&B review section. I think I'll definitely try some of that. Seems like a great product at a great price.:001_smile

I'm a little late but count me in the Musgo fan club. This stuff makes my face smooth like buttah. It takes the sting out of my worst shaves. Smells great too. Make sure you get the classic splash. The others are colognes.

I want to thank everyone for some very helpful responses. I found it interesting that some of the big name fragrance houses like Polo, Taylor of Old Broad Street, Truefit & Hill, etc. didn't get named. Perhaps they're better known for their colognes than for any real expertise with aftershaves. Any thoughts here? One idea brought up in these responses that really interests me is the great line by St. Charles Shaving. I think I'll have to get to know this Sue you speak of. The idea of using a milk aftershave product seems to be an ideal compromise between a balm and a splash, and a nice complement to bring into my rotation. All her milks looked intriguing, but the one that interests me most I didn't see reviewed on B&B . . . it's Bay Rum with a Twist. (a twist of Lime with the Bay rum). It's a tall white bottle. Does anyone have any experience with this product? Also, the Mediterranean Citrus got killer reviews in the B&B review section. I think I'll definitely try some of that. Seems like a great product at a great price.:001_smile

Actually I love the TOBS aftershaves, but they don't have a lot of goodies in them other than good ol' alcohol (in the OP you mentioned liking skin goodies). TOBS No. 74 Original is one of my faves, as is Mr Taylor. I also have a Grey Flannel aftershave that nicely compliments, you guessed it, grey flannel edt

The Shave Den aftershave milk should fit the bill. Here's the ingredients list:

Hydrosol Blend (Rose, Hibiscus, Jasmine), Jojoba Oil, Water, Witch Hazel, Shea Butter, Lecithin, Allantoin, Vitamin E, Glycerin, Aloe Vera, Potassium Sorbate, Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid.

I have a bottle of Oak Leaves and Acorns scent which lasts from morning until afternoon. The cost is $15 plus shipping.

The Shave Den aftershave milk should fit the bill. Here's the ingredients list:

Hydrosol Blend (Rose, Hibiscus, Jasmine), Jojoba Oil, Water, Witch Hazel, Shea Butter, Lecithin, Allantoin, Vitamin E, Glycerin, Aloe Vera, Potassium Sorbate, Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid.

I have a bottle of Oak Leaves and Acorns scent which lasts from morning until afternoon. The cost is $15 plus shipping.

That sounds awesome, Danny; I learn something new all the time here. Tell me about this Shave Den of yours. I went to the web site and it looks like a shaving forum similar to this one. Once there I couldn't figure out how to get to any kind of product listing showing the aftershave milk you described. Could you tell me what to click and how to get there? Thanks.

That sounds awesome, Danny; I learn something new all the time here. Tell me about this Shave Den of yours. I went to the web site and it looks like a shaving forum similar to this one. Once there I couldn't figure out how to get to any kind of product listing showing the aftershave milk you described. Could you tell me what to click and how to get there? Thanks.

ShaveDen Store: Aftershaves

Top Bottom