What's new

Aftershave and Cologne interference.

Gents,

I prefer balms as my go to after a shave. I do not like using alcohol splashes on my face as I need moisture after a good shave. Actually I need moisture on my face even when I don't shave my as the skin is dry on my cheeks and neck. My favorite aftershave balm is Loccitane Cade. The smell is amazing and I have found nothing that moisturizes after a shave better. It is really #1 for me and second is a distant second. I would say Soap Commander Integrity which is non-scented is my second. Also like Baxter of California, which is lightly scented with lemon.

My question is, will an aftershave balm as strongly scented as Cade going interfere with my cologne? I usually wear cologne on work days and to church. However, I can't tell if the smell of Cade is interfering with my cologne. I think others around will be able to, but I simply never have been able to tell.

Can you tell on yourself or on others? What do you think, is it ok to use a strongly scented balm if you are going to use cologne? Should I forgo the stronger more moisturizing Cade for something I know won't interfere like an unscented balm?

I use cologne with Cade balm all the time and it doesn't interfere for me. The cade scent isn't that strong to begin with, and my girlfriend can't smell it on me at all after about half an hour.

Thanks, for the info MG31. I got a kiss on the cheek about 15 minutes after using some and the lady remarked how good it smelled, but I wasn't wearing any cologne that is why I wondered about interference.

If you fear clashing, see if you can find an after shave that has a matching cologne. Stetson does this for example and I know that isn't the only one. If you can't, just don't put cologne on that area and just spritz your wrists, elbows, knees and back of the neck. If I fear a clash, I do the latter as I to have sensitive skin.

Thanks mkpunk, there actually is a Cade cologne, oddly though I don't really think it smells very much like the balm or the shaving cream. While the shaving cream smells wonderful, it is more of a upscale clean soapy smell, while the balm has a heavy juniper note and the cologne has a darker oud note. Kind of weird how they don't all smell the same.

I get what you are saying though. I do enjoy layering a shaving cream, balm and cologne all from the same line. Sometimes they even have body washes. For me using all of the same product, really makes me feel clean for some reason.

Thanks mkpunk, there actually is a Cade cologne, oddly though I don't really think it smells very much like the balm or the shaving cream. While the shaving cream smells wonderful, it is more of a upscale clean soapy smell, while the balm has a heavy juniper note and the cologne has a darker oud note. Kind of weird how they don't all smell the same.

I get what you are saying though. I do enjoy layering a shaving cream, balm and cologne all from the same line. Sometimes they even have body washes. For me using all of the same product, really makes me feel clean for some reason.

I kind of know the feeling with using Axe and Old Spice. That said, I haven't with a cologne. The soap whether face or body will likely only be smelt by you. Maybe I'll do it with a Christmas giftpack in the future though. That said, it is a bit strange to see a variety of smells. Perhaps is it that the cologne and shave cream are not exactly the same. Say you have a 212 aftershave and a 212 VIP cologne. The notes maybe similar but a bit off and opens up the possibility to clash.

I think it comes down to the fact that the company had a successful brand under the Cade name, so they just put what they wanted to sell most under the Cade name.

I never combine two different scents post-shave, no matter how lightly scented I perceive them to be. I may not think one of the scents is strong enough to be noticed, but it may be very noticeable to some folks, which could result in a "clashing" of scents. I can't think of a single scented aftershave that I have ever used that would be totally undetectable. Many times I have applied what I felt was a very small amount of what I considered to be a fairly neutral scent of very mildly scented aftershave, only to have someone say "you sure smell good today" hours later as they pass or stand several feet away. Since no one wants to be the guy that drowns themselves in aftershave and/or cologne and people can smell clear across the room, I have learned that less is better, generally speaking, and that combining two different scents, even if I believe they are very mild, or worse yet, complimentary, is a bad idea.

This is my opinion, for what it's worth, and as we say, YMMV!

I never combine two different scents post-shave, no matter how lightly scented I perceive them to be. I may not think one of the scents is strong enough to be noticed, but it may be very noticeable to some folks, which could result in a "clashing" of scents. I can't think of a single scented aftershave that I have ever used that would be totally undetectable. Many times I have applied what I felt was a very small amount of what I considered to be a fairly neutral scent of very mildly scented aftershave, only to have someone say "you sure smell good today" hours later as they pass or stand several feet away. Since no one wants to be the guy that drowns themselves in aftershave and/or cologne and people can smell clear across the room, I have learned that less is better, generally speaking, and that combining two different scents, even if I believe they are very mild, or worse yet, complimentary, is a bad idea.

This is my opinion, for what it's worth, and as we say, YMMV!

Yeah I don't always do neck sprays unless I know either or are a light scent.

Interesting side note from the Internet about the strength of colognes, perfumes and after shaves. From "strongest to weakest":

Attar / Pure Perfume - Absolute pure perfume extract, with no water or alcohol. Found mainly in middle Eastern perfumery, Typically lasts over 12 hours.

Extrait de Parfum / Perfume Extract - The most concentrated fragrance and contains 15-40% pure perfume extract. It lasts easily over 8 hrs. Popular with women.

Eau de perfume / (parfum) EdP- This uses the same perfume essence but less of it and more alcohol and water. It has 10-20% perfume essence in Eau de Perfume and lasts 6-8 hours. It's especially popular with women's fragrances.

Eau de toilette EdT - Lighter still with more alcohol, so it will lighten up fairly quickly. Typically there will be 5-15% pure perfume essence, lasting 3-6 hours. It's the most popular concentration of designer fragrances for men.

Eau de cologne EdC - The most diluted version of the perfume. Typically 2-5%. These are rarely used in expensive perfumes, but tend to be more 'splash' kind of perfumes or fragrances for younger people.

Aftershave - The lightest concentration of perfume oil. Concentrated with 1%_3 of perfume oils. Typically, lasts less than an hour.

Last edited:
Top Bottom