What's new

ACTIVITIES & ATTENDANCE

Folks, I occasionally read through these invitations for shaving get-togethers, and I have some questions. I don't think I've seen many post event reports of how the events have gone.

What do you do, show off your razors and drink beer? How big is a typical attendance? I would like to attend one sometime, but I have no idea what I would do once I arrived.

My questions are serious, not facetious.

While I haven't been to any of these myself I have seen some feedback on them. It appears to be an opportunity to speak with some vendors and get to know some fellow wet shavers. You can see and purchase some of their products. There may be demonstrations like brush handle making. There may be special event only items like special soaps or brushes. Sometimes you'll find some free samples, a PIF table, and product give away items as well.

BigShaveWest is literally 30 minutes from my house in the city that I work in. So I've was tempted to attend this past year and I may attend the event next year. My understanding is that they offered activities to attend like a baseball game and some trips to some local attractions (like Tombstone). So if you were visiting from out of town you could sign up for these activities. Since I live here I've done most of these activities already and would probably just attend the designated shaving event part of it.

Problem for me is that I'm very particular and pretty set in the products that I use. So I'm not really into all kinds of new stuff to try. Still it might be nice to get to know a few people and put some faces to names.

I go to a lot of these. Only one of which I've attended was commercial and one other did have a single soap vendor. The other ones that I have been to were mostly straight razor centric so a lot of honing is usually going on, trying stones, strops, etc. DE guys are always welcome and we all use soaps and brushes. Meeting people in person from the forums is great and since a lot of the same people attend many of the meets, long term friendships are often formed. Most of the meets have raffles where people either bring things to give away or actually purchase something for the giveaway. People also trade things. Oh yeah, beer and pizza is common. Actually many of the meets that I go to are 3-5 day affairs with barbecue meals and a fair amount of bourbon being available. Been seeing a lot of the same people five years running.

I attended the commercial meet in Phoenix that David spoke of and plan on attending again in 2020. That one had around 20 vendors, mostly soaps, creams, aftershaves, prep, etc. It was very well attended with about 200 people coming though.

Last edited:
I should add that the multi day meets are normally in a shop type venue with the 5 day event being a razor makers meet being held in a full blacksmithing shop with several forges and grinders. So it's not ALL just eating and drinking.

Top Bottom