What's new

Above the Tie X1 Slant - First Shave

The other day I used my X1 with a spectacular Feather Super blade! The Super is a touch wider than the Shick or the Feather Pro, giving the X1 more blade feel and improving efficiency. I would still call the overall shave mild, but a step up from standard artisan club blades. I was a bit nervous about how the wider blade would perform, but it only took a couple of seconds to adjust, and it exceeded my expectations.

After going through several Feather Super blades, I thought an update was in order. While I still love the first shave with a Super, they dull back noticeably quicker than the Shick or regular Feather blade. Since I like both of those blades better after five or six shaves than the Super with the same amount of use, I will not be buying any more Feather Supers once I am finished with my supply.

I have used my X1 Slant and the Feather Super Blades exclusively for a few months. While the Super is not my favorite blade, which would be either the regular Feather or the Shick P-30, it still gives a great shave. Since I have a stock of the black box Feather blades and the Shick blades on hand, I plan to use the Super Blades until my supply is exhausted. I still love my original double edge Above the Tie razors, but the X1 is incredibly good and could easily be my one and only razor. While I have an open comb DE head, a slant DE head, and my original 2013 R1 head from ATT, I tend to stick with what I like and grow accustomed to. Especially since I get 10-12 shaves from my SE blades compared to two with any DE blade. I know there are many fantastic options available, but after ten years of only using ATT (or the rare shave with my vintage Gillette Fat Boy) I will continue using ATT razors for all my remaining days. I tend to be more interested in different soaps or rotating through my modest selection of brushes than changing my razor. Between SE and DE blades, I have enough on hand to last me a decade or more, so enjoying my stock and exercising some razor-restraint is in order! With several soap options and a few brushes I love, my expenditures seem to go towards more fragrances these days.

I had my first shave with the X1 a week ago. I've been using the Vector since August 2023 with KAI Protouch MG blades. I must say, the X1 is an incredible razor. It's definitely milder than the Vector, but still incredibly efficient. However, what truly amazed me was after my first shave with X1, when I used 4711 a cologne/aftershave. I didn't feel it at all guys - the splash, which has a lot of alcohol, didn't feel on my skin! Wow!

I’m jealous of everyone with their beautiful X1 Razors. I always planned to buy one and was absent for awhile and didn’t know ATT was closing shop until it was too late.

I’d have loved to try their other offerings as well since I like my R1 but the X1 was at the top of my want list. I’m hoping to find one someday.

The SE razors have recently grabbed my attention. I just have to figure out what to grab instead of the X1.

Anybody here have any other SE razors they found better then the X1? I like less blade feel but efficient with my favorite DEs being GC 84p, EJ 3one6, ATT R1, Feather AS- D2, Lupo 95, Gillette Red Tip… etc.

I’m jealous of everyone with their beautiful X1 Razors. I always planned to buy one and was absent for awhile and didn’t know ATT was closing shop until it was too late.

I’d have loved to try their other offerings as well since I like my R1 but the X1 was at the top of my want list. I’m hoping to find one someday.

The SE razors have recently grabbed my attention. I just have to figure out what to grab instead of the X1.

Anybody here have any other SE razors they found better then the X1? I like less blade feel but efficient with my favorite DEs being GC 84p, EJ 3one6, ATT R1, Feather AS- D2, Lupo 95, Gillette Red Tip… etc.
La Faulx by a country mile.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
La Faulx by a country mile.
I second @gdawg55 recommendation. As much as I like my X1... and I do like it a lot... The La Faulx just might be the best razor I've ever used. I don't have any of the razors you listed.... Most of them seem to be in the middle or upper efficiency zone, other than your AS-D2. I bought the Classic base plate, but others have had excellent shaves with the + and ++ as well.

The La Faulx Classic in premium polished bronze and stainless steel polished are both equally amazing. I get 12 hour shaves with both of them... but my razors fall into that upper mild to lower medium efficiency zone.... and I don't know the crossover point for people who need to step up the efficiency.

Thanks, I already had the La Faulx up there on my list but it’s hard to figure out what plate to go with. I’d imagine a + or ++ would be right for me. But I also read some other posts about how the gap was mostly the same and the blade exposure was the biggest difference in gap sizes and that the Classic felt best with a more aggressive blade. I have a lot more reading to do.

A shame their shipping is so high or you could order an extra baseplate later after testing the first. But at $40+ shipping I’d rather buy an extra baseplate the first time. But their other razor offerings interest me as well like their GEM razor.

Do any of you have a cheaper SE you liked quite a bit that would be a good starter? I’ve been seeing a lot of love for the Yaqi Romulus/Remus.

Thanks, I already had the La Faulx up there on my list but it’s hard to figure out what plate to go with. I’d imagine a + or ++ would be right for me. But I also read some other posts about how the gap was mostly the same and the blade exposure was the biggest difference in gap sizes and that the Classic felt best with a more aggressive blade. I have a lot more reading to do.

A shame their shipping is so high or you could order an extra baseplate later after testing the first. But at $40+ shipping I’d rather buy an extra baseplate the first time. But their other razor offerings interest me as well like their GEM razor.

Do any of you have a cheaper SE you liked quite a bit that would be a good starter? I’ve been seeing a lot of love for the Yaqi Romulus/Remus.
From the other razors you’ve listed I would suggest at least the +. I have the Classic, +, and ++ and I like the ++ best. I’m a daily shaver and it rocks my world.

From the other razors you’ve listed I would suggest at least the +. I have the Classic, +, and ++ and I like the ++ best. I’m a daily shaver and it rocks my world.
Thanks for the tip. I sometimes like nice mild razors if I’m shaving every day over a long period and like the GC .68p, AS-D2, Tech, R89, etc. But usually I shave every 1.5-2 days and go for a medium aggressive razor like the .84p.

I remember the .84p feeling a bit aggressive when I first started using it but since I’ve been wet shaving 2-3 years now the .84p feels like butter and I’m tempted to give the .105 a try before long. The biggest shaving improvement I ever made was probably when I realized not to apply any pressure to the razor when shaving and let the razors weight do the cutting.

Did you ever try any other Atelier offerings like the Gem style razor they offer? I have a good bit of Personna GEM blades so a modern GEM would also be great.

I also really wonder how the Wolfmans compare to the Atelier razors. The prices aren’t that different once you account for shipping costs if you get the razor head only like I would. I use my RazoRock handles on everything and wish every razor was sold head only for cheaper costs.

Hopefully Shane will bring back the X1 in some form when the "new" ATT relaunches. It's excellent if a little heavy compared to the likes the AD La Faulx -- which can be head heavy depending on handle choice. Not quite as smooth as La Faulx but not many AC razors are.

Thanks for the tip. I sometimes like nice mild razors if I’m shaving every day over a long period and like the GC .68p, AS-D2, Tech, R89, etc. But usually I shave every 1.5-2 days and go for a medium aggressive razor like the .84p.

I remember the .84p feeling a bit aggressive when I first started using it but since I’ve been wet shaving 2-3 years now the .84p feels like butter and I’m tempted to give the .105 a try before long. The biggest shaving improvement I ever made was probably when I realized not to apply any pressure to the razor when shaving and let the razors weight do the cutting.

Did you ever try any other Atelier offerings like the Gem style razor they offer? I have a good bit of Personna GEM blades so a modern GEM would also be great.

I also really wonder how the Wolfmans compare to the Atelier razors. The prices aren’t that different once you account for shipping costs if you get the razor head only like I would. I use my RazoRock handles on everything and wish every razor was sold head only for cheaper costs.
Yes I have a ++ Vestige. I don’t like it as well as the La Faulx. It’s a good shaving razor but I just might not be a GEM guy.

Yes I have a ++ Vestige. I don’t like it as well as the La Faulx. It’s a good shaving razor but I just might not be a GEM guy.
Is it not as smooth, or more blade feel? Maybe a + plate would work better on the Vestige?

I’ll likely just get the La Faulx but if I ever see a good deal on the Vestige and have the money I’ll probably give it a try as well.

And I always liked the heft of ATT razors. To me the heavier the razor the better because I apply NO pressure and let the razors weight do the cutting. That’s much harder to do with lightweight razors and I’m more likely to apply slight pressure which causes more irritation. I am a big believer in no pressure on the razor when shaving but it’s hard to break the habit at first.

Well, I'm a GEM guy and I would point you in the direction of the Vestige + plate but it is a very lightweight razor. If you prefer a heavy razor the Wolfman WR3 may be more to your liking. As much I enjoyed the prototypes and trying all three Vestige plates, I love the sheer mass of the WR3. Like the lightweight Vector I'm prone to add a little bit of pressure with the Vestige. Of course the La Faulx is plenty heavy enough with the original handle if you prefer AC format.

Check out the La Faulx, Vestige and WR3 threads for my impressions (and others).

Is it not as smooth, or more blade feel? Maybe a + plate would work better on the Vestige?

I’ll likely just get the La Faulx but if I ever see a good deal on the Vestige and have the money I’ll probably give it a try as well.

And I always liked the heft of ATT razors. To me the heavier the razor the better because I apply NO pressure and let the razors weight do the cutting. That’s much harder to do with lightweight razors and I’m more likely to apply slight pressure which causes more irritation. I am a big believer in no pressure on the razor when shaving but it’s hard to break the habit at first.
Nope the ++ is perfect for me. The Vestige shaves very well but it is a lightweight razor. The GEM blade is narrow compared to AC and maybe even DE. I’m just used to covering a larger area I guess. Definitely nothing wrong with the way it shaves.

I got my X1 shortly before ATT closed their doors. I happened upon one of Kim’s posts and decided to jump in. Besides, their closeout prices were insane. I concur with the preceding contributors. The razor does provide a very comfortable shave. I'm happy I have one in my den. That said, I find myself reaching for my Vector most of the time. There’s something about the weight and maneuverability of the Vector that I really like. I’ve heard many good things about the La Faulx and it certainly makes my RAD itch, but my creditors have imposed a razor moratorium until sometime next year. Either that, or I will have to thin the herd. I don’t have the moral courage needed to carry out the decimation to generate the funding.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I got my X1 shortly before ATT closed their doors. I happened upon one of Kim’s posts and decided to jump in. Besides, their closeout prices were insane. I concur with the preceding contributors. The razor does provide a very comfortable shave. I'm happy I have one in my den. That said, I find myself reaching for my Vector most of the time. There’s something about the weight and maneuverability of the Vector that I really like. I’ve heard many good things about the La Faulx and it certainly makes my RAD itch, but my creditors have imposed a razor moratorium until sometime next year. Either that, or I will have to thin the herd. I don’t have the moral courage needed to carry out the decimation to generate the funding.
I’m there too. I’m selling off a few razors that aren’t seeing any use. I set aside some money every month for shaving gear or whatever. My wife saves most of hers. She’s the smarter one, that’s for sure.

Top Bottom