What's new

A short essay on how straight razor shaving used to be

Thank You I'm glad that you liked it.

I think this is the real reason the antique shaving scuttles exist.

20200719_082815.jpg

common setting: large rural households with quite a few family members and relatives living under one roof.

this invention is man's way of escaping the madness. you can disappear to anywhere with a mirror and complete your shave without interruption.

due to circumstances, my house is realy full right now. this same escape luxury is still relevant today (revelation I had a week or two ago).

camo

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
like the grandmas way of thinking!!!!

Where most of us are accumulators (gajillion razors, strops, hones, soaps, splashes, balms… and more on the way!) and didn’t raise and slaughter the boar or trap and kill the badger or stuffed animal that provides are bristles (poor Flower didn’t stand a chance when I needed a synthetic brush), @RookieGuy ‘s grandmother would probably write us off, too

I think this is the real reason the antique shaving scuttles exist.

View attachment 1146908

common setting: large rural households with quite a few family members and relatives living under one roof.

this invention is man's way of escaping the madness. you can disappear to anywhere with a mirror and complete your shave without interruption.

due to circumstances, my house is realy full right now. this same escape luxury is still relevant today (revelation I had a week or two ago).

camo

I think the reason they existed was lack of running water, let alone running hot water. They would go to the kitchen stove and fill it from the tea kettle and go back to the bathroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the last times I saw my grandmother, she was over visiting. Baltimore is halfway between Boston and Tampa. Anyways, she saw my shaving kit on my sink. She remarked how the diamond pattern razor looked like her late husband's. She actually asked how I got it.

Anyways, during the discussion, I asked her about her father's shaving habits and schedule. She was born in 1923, which would put him born somewhere just before the turn of the century. Her dad shaved every Wednesday night and Sunday morning. Once a month, he'd take the razor, edged tools, and all knives to his wood shed and sharpen everything. Put the kettle on the (coal fired) stove to boil and strope until boiling. Lather in a hammered copper mug, and use Mother's mirror from her vanity. This was all done at the kitchen table. Any blood was the automatic fault of whichever child was in the room.

Interestingly enough, my great grandfather has never shaved with a safety razor from 1900 to 1971. My grandmother's words: "What kind of [bad words] needs one of those [bad words] pansy-assed [word I've never heard before so I'm not taking chances] when all a man needs is one good straighr razor? This is just a waste of good money!"

@RookieGuy I love this post, the last sentence with the "pansy-assed" really made me ROFL 😂 😂 😂

That said, I'm positive the old man didn't used he expression straight razor. In his day the SR was simply called razor, as it was THE razor that men used. I doubt he would've called it a "straight".

AFAIK, the addition of "straight" is a modern age invention, to differentiate it from the SEs and DEs.
1598714846561.png

@RookieGuy I love this post, the last sentence with the "pansy-assed" really made me ROFL 😂 😂 😂

That said, I'm positive the old man didn't used he expression straight razor. In his day the SR was simply called razor, as it was THE razor that men used. I doubt he would've called it a "straight".

AFAIK, the addition of "straight" is a modern age invention, to differentiate it from the SEs and DEs.
View attachment 1146985
So right

I think the reason they existed was lack of running water, let alone running hot water. They would go to the kitchen stove and fill it from the tea kettle and go back to the bathroom.

agreed on this.....although with no running water some rural areas may not have had a "bathroom." outhouses were still common. wife remembers that her grandma (right down the road) still had an outhouse even as she was a child.

access to water is valid as well as my proposed sanity break.

camo

agreed on this.....although with no running water some rural areas may not have had a "bathroom." outhouses were still common. wife remembers that her grandma (right down the road) still had an outhouse even as she was a child.

access to water is valid as well as my proposed sanity break.

camo

Not in all cases. They had bathrooms without toilets. It’s where they took baths, hence the name. They didn’t bathe in the outhouse.

Sanity breaks are good uses today!

Thank you for the great article. I was born in 1971 and raised in the countryside of Northern Germany. Life was still very primitive in some cases in the rural parts of my homeland. People were still having some lifestock for meat supplies like a pig, ducks, goose, rabbits alike, the smaller meadows were mowed with the scythe and not every household had a telephone, a washing machine or central heating. But the everyday problems were the same and I often admire the genuity our forfathers to solve their problems without having our technology. I think we can still learn a lot from our forfathers just by taking a look back. I taught my kids how to chop wood, use a scythe, to prepare meals from scratch and some other things, because I don't want them to take all nowadays luxuries for granted. My forfathers were refugees from the eastern parts of Germany and they had to learn the hard way that the only things you can keep with you are your knowledge and your skills. Of course me and my son use straight razors and safety razors. With a straight razor you have a whole lot of things to do before you're ready to start. This trains your skills and you learn to appreciate simple things and to take your time. For me this is a worthy thing in our rushed times.

Same age here, and similar perspective although from a different background. I’ve always been fascinated by skilled trades and ingenuity, whether Yankee ingenuity or any other. If an activity connects one to the past, then I’m all for it, whether it’s the wind-up wristwatch, the Goodyear welted shoe sole, the sound and smell of a block plane over wood, or the straight razor, I get a kick out of all of them. I appreciate the value and meaning of hard work, and the calming and meditative quality of hand skills. I am by no means opposed to technology, and make my living by it, but technology for its own sake is hollow and without soul. If a straight razor can do a better job, then I use it, and it does, in many respects.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Household running hot water is still rare in many countries, particularly in the tropic. Here in the Philippines, I live in a new (5yo) subdivision of about 200 houses of middle class residents. None of the houses have running hot water.

Mind you, our running cold water comes out at about 26deg C so it's not too bad.

Your essay reminds me of this poem from a great book called "The vanishing American Barber shop by Ronald S Barlow"
View attachment 1155959
Here we see Pa having his weekly shave in the kitchen before going to Church.
This reminds me of something I was reading a few days ago from book:
Dictionary of Americanisms. A glossary of words and phrases, usually regarded as peculiar to the United States by Bartlett, John Russell, 1805-1886

On page 295 it gives this definition:
SHAVER.
A shaver is a boy, a lad, one just beginning to shave; or else on the lucus a non lucendo principle, one who does not shave, but would if he could! Comp. Skin-flint.
The term is often humorously applied here, as in England, to boys who ape the behavior of men.

This reminds me of something I was reading a few days ago from book:
Dictionary of Americanisms. A glossary of words and phrases, usually regarded as peculiar to the United States by Bartlett, John Russell, 1805-1886

On page 295 it gives this definition:
SHAVER.
A shaver is a boy, a lad, one just beginning to shave; or else on the lucus a non lucendo principle, one who does not shave, but would if he could! Comp. Skin-flint.
The term is often humorously applied here, as in England, to boys who ape the behavior of men.
Interesting

WRITING ESSAYS – SOME FACTORS TO CONSIDER

Writing essays is a skill closely connected to the skill of making good notes. In note taking you look for structure of the article or chapter, in essay writing you are the creator of the structure.

Remember the purpose of the essay is to communicate to the reader what you know and understand.

The following suggestions may seem to you to be ‘common sense’.

REFLECTING, READING AND RESEARCHING

1. Read the assignment brief until you understand what it is you are

being asked to do.

Look for key words e.g. describe, compare, analyse, evaluate etc.

If you are not sure – check with your teacher.

2. Reflect, read and make notes

Make a full note of the reference sources you have used.

STRUCTURING THE ESSAY

3. Always map out a plan of how you intend to answer the question/ assignment. This plan may follow the simplest structure:

3.1 INTRODUCTION

The introduction tells the reader exactly how you intend to tackle the question. For example:

• Provide an overview of the assignment – be clear and concise.
  • Clear up any confusion such as terms that need defining.
  • Arouse curiosity and interest – gain attention.
3.2 MIDDLE

The middle should be effectively organised into sections. Check the assignment title to identify the key factors or issues to be discussed within the essay.

General points of essay writing apply i.e.

• Start each section with a new paragraph, or if preferred it may be acceptable to use headings & sub-headings in your account.
  • Link the sections logically and cohesively – this may warrant re-shuffling/cutting and pasting.
3.3 CONCLUSION

The conclusion should ‘pull’ the issues discussed together. No ‘new’ information should be included here, although you may be able to add a different perspective or idea.

For example:

• Summarise.
  • Avoid generalisations – remain objective.
  • Avoid tailing off…
  • Avoid repetitiveness.
Essay buy - buyessaycorp.com
I think you might be in the wrong forum, Polarbeard wrote a great essay on straight razor shaving. Anyway welcome

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
WRITING ESSAYS – SOME FACTORS TO CONSIDER

Writing essays is a skill closely connected to the skill of making good notes. In note taking you look for structure of the article or chapter, in essay writing you are the creator of the structure.

Remember the purpose of the essay is to communicate to the reader what you know and understand.

The following suggestions may seem to you to be ‘common sense’.

REFLECTING, READING AND RESEARCHING

1. Read the assignment brief until you understand what it is you are

being asked to do.

Look for key words e.g. describe, compare, analyse, evaluate etc.

If you are not sure – check with your teacher.

2. Reflect, read and make notes

Make a full note of the reference sources you have used.

STRUCTURING THE ESSAY

3. Always map out a plan of how you intend to answer the question/ assignment. This plan may follow the simplest structure:

3.1 INTRODUCTION

The introduction tells the reader exactly how you intend to tackle the question. For example:

• Provide an overview of the assignment – be clear and concise.
  • Clear up any confusion such as terms that need defining.
  • Arouse curiosity and interest – gain attention.
3.2 MIDDLE

The middle should be effectively organised into sections. Check the assignment title to identify the key factors or issues to be discussed within the essay.

General points of essay writing apply i.e.

• Start each section with a new paragraph, or if preferred it may be acceptable to use headings & sub-headings in your account.
  • Link the sections logically and cohesively – this may warrant re-shuffling/cutting and pasting.
3.3 CONCLUSION

The conclusion should ‘pull’ the issues discussed together. No ‘new’ information should be included here, although you may be able to add a different perspective or idea.

For example:

• Summarise.
  • Avoid generalisations – remain objective.
  • Avoid tailing off…
  • Avoid repetitiveness.
Essay buy - buyessaycorp.com
I think you are in the wrong forum. This is about shaving.

1) Conclusion. Interloper.

Great post, @Polarbeard. I was just discussing this with my mother and dad recently. I have my paternal grandfather's old razor, a no-frills Geneva Cutlery Inc., which puts its age at around the late 20's based on name changes. Based on his age, it likely was his first razor. Ironically, Dad has no memory of him using it, he used a safety razor for many years, and it had very little hone wear when I got it, and still shaved after a quick strop. Grandpa was clean shaven as long as I knew him, though I believe he had switched to an electric by then. He always had a splash of Old Spice aftershave, though. My dad, on the other hand, has a very tough beard and has worn a beard most of his adult life. In fact he could only get through half his face on one blade! I guess when he switched to Schick blades he could shave his whole face in one go.

My maternal grandfather, on the other hand, shaved most days with a straight razor. Mom was the youngest and her mother had died shortly after she was born, so she spent a lot of time with him as a kid and she has fond memories of watching him go through the ritual of his morning shave. He drove a dray wagon when she was quite young; later he did some kind of business to business sales, so he needed to be presentable.

When I was back home visiting recently mom talked about how much I reminded her of him as she watched me lather up and strop and shave. He was born before the turn of the last century, fought in WWI and was a cleanfaced kid in the one photo I've seen of him in his doughboy uniform before he deployed. I sadly never met him as he died a few years before I was born but mom's cousins all talk fondly of him still.

It turns out I have a lot in common with him that I didn't know about besides just our tonsorial habits. When I was younger and dumber I used to smoke Lucky Strikes. I found out years later that he smoked that brand until the day he died. "And I inhaled every one of them," he used to say. We had similar taste in whiskey, too, mom's cousins tell me. Thing that really got me was last time I was home, I jerry-rigged a filter and a baking funnel to make myself a cup of coffee pour-over style, right into the cup (my folks aren't coffee drinkers). Mom got real quiet and then said, "I haven't seen anyone do that since Daddy was alive. He always made his coffee like that."

Anyway, sorry for the ramble, but thanks for the memories.

Forgot to add, my paternal grandpa was a farmer and very likely was not a daily shaver until the late 50s or early 60s when he was running his own farm supply store. Dad (born in '44) still recalls Saturday night being bath night "whether you need it or not," and especially during the spring, summer and fall, as Arne alludes, there would not have been time to shave or even fully bathe during the week. Not daily, for sure. My maternal grandfather was shaving daily at least by the late 40s, as mom recalls, but keep in mind he was in his 50s already by then and perhaps had the luxury of more time with many older children and his sister who lived with them, to keep up on household chores.

Top Bottom