What's new

A Shave Outside The Surly Bonds Of Earth

Traveled to Huntsville, AL for business last Wed (still here). Never been here before, so I pop the destination address into Google Maps and head off from the airport, entirely unfamiliar with every inch I was about to drive over.

As I’m driving I’m (stupidly) trying to, between rapid glances, figure out how to adjust the side mirrors on the rental; the rental has Florida plates so if anything should happen I figure I at least have a decent head start on an excuse/rationalization. A few minutes later I give up deciding, much more logically, I should pay strict attention to the road.

Off to my right, in the distance, I see looming what looks to be a rather odd church steeple, most peculiar by its lack of a cross on the top and its distinctive shape. Remember, I haven’t the slightest idea where I am except that I’m in the ‘south’, and the only places outside Utah and Texas that love them some Jesus more than perhaps other states is most anyplace in the Deep South, so a church steeple wasn’t out of the question.

As I got closer it became more and more evident it wasn’t a church steeple, but I couldn’t figure out what it was. Now, I have often said I am most certainly not always the smartest guy in the room, but I consider myself to be fairly intelligent. But that Wednesday afternoon on I-565 I learned just how drooling stupid I could be.

My attentions are not, at this point, wholly on the road, rather vacillating between the road, surrounding traffic, and rubbernecking at what was now clearly the top of a huge rocket. My inner geek took over, kicking the adult completely out of the way, and gawked at the ever-looming, huge, so-totally-cool rocket just off the side of the freeway—with big, red “USA” letters running vertically on its side. I’m sure Ad Astra already knows what I’m talking about, but I hadn’t any idea . . . yet.

Fortunately I had my guardian angels watching over me and I was in a kind of traffic-less bubble, no immediate vehicles around me, which was good because I was staring, wide-eyed at this beautiful monster and declaring aloud. “Cooooooool!” I didn’t learn until a couple days later that Rocket is a Saturn V replica housed at the U.S Space & Rocket Center here in Huntsville, home of Space Camp.

IMG_3095.jpeg

Yesterday I went to the Center to let my inner child out to play for a bit. The Davidson Building houses an actual Saturn V rocket separated into its three stages and suspended above the floor. ‘Awesome’ does not do it justice. Below is the business end of the 1st stage from two perspectives . . .

IMG_3102.jpeg

IMG_3111.jpeg

And the 3rd stage--For scale, look at the guy in the red shirt sitting down jsuts below it; he was a big boy and yet he's still tiny compared to the smallest stage . . .

IMG_3112.jpeg

Lots of great history and information on the evolution of the engines beginning with Wernher von Braun, through Redstone, the LH1 (liquid hydrogen) and F-1 engines—just soooo much fascinating stuff.

They had the Lunar Lander and the Lunar Rover, as well as a small piece of moon rock on display. Also, pictured below, was the Apollo 16 Command Module.

IMG_3118.jpeg

Now, gentlemen, I didn’t tell you all this just to expound about my experience here in Rocket City. You see, alongside the display of the CM were some window displays of artifacts which the astronauts used while on their missions. Take a look at the picture below . . .

IMG_3119.jpeg

A wind-up shaver?! I knew about the Techmatic from Ad Astra’s post some time ago about his Moon Mission Tribute Shave. But this device looked to be more at home in a display of medieval torture devices than something to remove stubble with. Thought some of you might like a better look at it.

There were a sizeable portion of Skylab and a simulated walk through part of the ISS, which was all super cool. but this wind-up shaver was the most unexpected thing I saw there--and of course I figured you all would like to know about it.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Traveled to Huntsville, AL for business last Wed (still here). Never been here before, so I pop the destination address into Google Maps and head off from the airport, entirely unfamiliar with every inch I was about to drive over.

As I’m driving I’m (stupidly) trying to, between rapid glances, figure out how to adjust the side mirrors on the rental; the rental has Florida plates so if anything should happen I figure I at least have a decent head start on an excuse/rationalization. A few minutes later I give up deciding, much more logically, I should pay strict attention to the road.

Off to my right, in the distance, I see looming what looks to be a rather odd church steeple, most peculiar by its lack of a cross on the top and its distinctive shape. Remember, I haven’t the slightest idea where I am except that I’m in the ‘south’, and the only places outside Utah and Texas that love them some Jesus more than perhaps other states is most anyplace in the Deep South, so a church steeple wasn’t out of the question.

As I got closer it became more and more evident it wasn’t a church steeple, but I couldn’t figure out what it was. Now, I have often said I am most certainly not always the smartest guy in the room, but I consider myself to be fairly intelligent. But that Wednesday afternoon on I-565 I learned just how drooling stupid I could be.

My attentions are not, at this point, wholly on the road, rather vacillating between the road, surrounding traffic, and rubbernecking at what was now clearly the top of a huge rocket. My inner geek took over, kicking the adult completely out of the way, and gawked at the ever-looming, huge, so-totally-cool rocket just off the side of the freeway—with big, red “USA” letters running vertically on its side. I’m sure Ad Astra already knows what I’m talking about, but I hadn’t any idea . . . yet.

Fortunately I had my guardian angels watching over me and I was in a kind of traffic-less bubble, no immediate vehicles around me, which was good because I was staring, wide-eyed at this beautiful monster and declaring aloud. “Cooooooool!” I didn’t learn until a couple days later that Rocket is a Saturn V replica housed at the U.S Space & Rocket Center here in Huntsville, home of Space Camp.

View attachment 1147540

Yesterday I went to the Center to let my inner child out to play for a bit. The Davidson Building houses an actual Saturn V rocket separated into its three stages and suspended above the floor. ‘Awesome’ does not do it justice. Below is the business end of the 1st stage from two perspectives . . .

View attachment 1147541

View attachment 1147542

And the 3rd stage--For scale, look at the guy in the red shirt sitting down jsuts below it; he was a big boy and yet he's still tiny compared to the smallest stage . . .

View attachment 1147545

Lots of great history and information on the evolution of the engines beginning with Wernher von Braun, through Redstone, the LH1 (liquid hydrogen) and F-1 engines—just soooo much fascinating stuff.

They had the Lunar Lander and the Lunar Rover, as well as a small piece of moon rock on display. Also, pictured below, was the Apollo 16 Command Module.

View attachment 1147547

Now, gentlemen, I didn’t tell you all this just to expound about my experience here in Rocket City. You see, alongside the display of the CM were some window displays of artifacts which the astronauts used while on their missions. Take a look at the picture below . . .

View attachment 1147548

A wind-up shaver?! I knew about the Techmatic from Ad Astra’s post some time ago about his Moon Mission Tribute Shave. But this device looked to be more at home in a display of medieval torture devices than something to remove stubble with. Thought some of you might like a better look at it.

There were a sizeable portion of Skylab and a simulated walk through part of the ISS, which was all super cool. but this wind-up shaver was the most unexpected thing I saw there--and of course I figured you all would like to know about it.

Jeff; glad you liked it! There are three Saturn Vs, one in Kennedy Space Center, that one and another in Houston ... but Huntsville's displays edge out KSC, to me!

Lot to see there. Check out all the Von Braun stuff, and if possible, take the bus trip to the military side and see the ISS control center.

More time? There's an amazing military museum in Huntsville too. See it!

Hungry? Gotta get German food. Recommend Old Heidelberg. Part of the German rocket builder heritage.

Wish I was there! Enjoy.

AA

I'm really glad I went. On one hand it was fascinating to see, up close, the stuff I watched on the tube as a kid--and of course in the movies in the last decade or so. The history was (as it usually is) incredible when viewed through the lens of our current state of technology. The site itself could stand a face lift, seems the emphasis--fairly enough--has been put on the rocketry on display indoors. But there's a huge chunk of Skylab sitting outside and a shuttle with its external fuel tanks, and they look a little worse for the exposure.

I think were are in the midst of a 'breather', a gap in tech and exploration. I know plans are being made, science being tested. I think in the very near future we will see another explosion much like the kind we saw in the 60s and 70s, but with greater reach. I fervently hope we can keep the Space & Rocket Center open to inspire future generations. It's a wonderful example of what mankind can do when it dreams and then achieves he impossible.

Jeff; glad you liked it! There are three Saturn Vs, one in Kennedy Space Center, that one and another in Houston ... but Huntsville's displays edge out KSC, to me!

Lot to see there. Check out all the Von Braun stuff, and if possible, take the bus trip to the military side and see the ISS control center.

More time? There's an amazing military museum in Huntsville too. See it!

Hungry? Gotta get German food. Recommend Old Heidelberg. Part of the German rocket builder heritage.

Wish I was there! Enjoy.

AA
I went to Houston almost 20 years ago and toured the NASA center. I was shocked that the Saturn V was just laying out in the weather at the mercy of the elements. It was a disappointing display.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I went to Houston almost 20 years ago and toured the NASA center. I was shocked that the Saturn V was just laying out in the weather at the mercy of the elements. It was a disappointing display.

That's what I heard. Of the three Saturn Vs, that's the only one I have not seen. But Huntsville has a beauty, horizontal, in air conditioning. KSC's is similarly preserved.

Huntsville also has a 365' vertical mock-up, which fools most people. It's seen for miles.

AA

That's what I heard. Of the three Saturn Vs, that's the only one I have not seen. But Huntsville has a beauty, horizontal, in air conditioning. KSC's is similarly preserved.

Huntsville also has a 365' vertical mock-up, which fools most people. It's seen for miles.

AA
It was 20 years ago. I hope they have done something to protect it since then.

Waaaaay back, years ago, I was in a high school rocket club that actually got to meet and chat with Von Braun at Huntsville, in his huge wood-paneled office (one of our group compared slide rules - I think his was a Nestler and we all had Dietzgens!). Probably the highlight of my teen years....

Been there a couple of times. Once to attend Space Camp. That was an amazing experience. I think I was around 10 or 11 at the time. Second time I was probably in high school. Was able to talk my parents into stopping as we passed through Huntsville on the way to gulf shores. Didn’t get to do as much the second time though

Very cool!!
Wish I could have done Space Camp back in the day.

My dad's mother moved them to H'ville in the mid'50's to go stay with her sister and her husband to escape an abusive marriage, so after my sister and I came along, trips to H'ville were part of the holiday experience, as were a few trips to the Space Museum.
Always enjoyed going there.
Spent my 15th birthday up there. Dad took me up for 2 weeks in July,1985. The theater behind grandma and granddaddy's (grandma remarried, and he treated my dad, my aunt, and my uncle, and us grandkids, as his own) house was showing Purple Rain. The big mall (2 story indoor mall) downtown opened, and Alfonso Ribeiro was the guest of honor, based on his appearance with Michael Jackson in the Pepsi commercials. Went to the flea malls with grandaddy, ate lots of good, homemade fried chicken, and all the different sweets she made. Took a Greyhound from Huntsville home.

I wish I could have bought their house after grandaddy passed. Grandma passed in 2001.
There is a Saturn Rocket at the Visitor Center when you come down 65 from Tn. See it every time I go visit my GF in Indiana. Need to stop in Huntsville on my way back on my next trip, and go visit Grandma, Grandaddy, and my Uncle David.

AA

They used to have 7 or 8 various rockets outside that showed the progress of the development that led to the Saturn V.

The Space and Rocket Center also has a real Space Shuttle to go with the real (not copy) Saturn V rocket, and they have a SR-71 Blackbird. Inside there is a theater, interactive displays, and more. They run a Space Camp for kids and teens, as well as a Robotics Camp. My father worked for Von Braun and worked on the Saturn V, including the first space station called Skylab.

There is a lot of stuff in and around Huntsville that surprises people.

Top Bottom