What's new

A post in the barber shop about...BARBER SHOPS and the lack of a decent one!

I understand that part of the problem in this province is the licensing requirements. It is apparently not possible to qualify simply as a barber. It is necessary to take a full beauty course and, of course, there is more money in the types of operations described above.

Do you have a barber school in your area? If so, go to it a few times--the instructors should make sure you walk out looking good. If you find a student who is graduating soon and that individual gives you a good cut, shave, etc., find out where s/he will be working and follow the student there.

For the guys in the Chicago burbs, you've gotta check out Esquire Barber Shop on St. Charles Rd. in Lombard. It's a s close to an old-timey shop as I can imagine. It's even better if you are a fan of NASCAR and/or Harley-Davidson. http://mensesquire.com

I've wondered if a guy would have an easier time of finding one in Smalltown, U.S.A or whether it's easier in big cities. I think that it might be easier than you think in some areas of the country.

Yes, it's easier. I live in the Midwest and I grew up going to a traditional barbershop in Urbandale, IA, that is still there. And I now live in the far western suburbs of Minneapolis and there's one here too. Seems like in the Midwest in the outer suburbs of cities or in the smaller towns you can still find them. You and I might differ on the "straight razor on the back of the neck" criteria, because that seems to have been relaxed, but they are pretty traditional barbershops in all other respects.

Top Bottom