What's new

a observation and some questions about the razor i honed yesterday

so i had to redo the razor that i honed yesterday cause i think i curled the edge. took it to 8k then back onto the vermont blue, there seems like there is a noticeale differentce in sharpness at the toe i noticed this cause when i shaved with the center and heel of the blade it cut right through it with no issues but i did notice it would take a few more swipes with the toe to clae off some stuff where as the middle got it off usually in the middle. i wish i could fix this without having to go all the way back to bevel set. also does anyone else have a place on their face that a razor will absolutely not get all the stubble i found it in a small pach just on the jaw line

Sounds like you need to add rolling x strokes when honing this razor. I would suggest going to 8k then the blue again adding the roll. If that fails then a new bevel will be needed.

Most of my stones are 3" wide which allows me to keep the entire length of the blade on the stone at all time. If you are using narrower width stones, there is a tendency for the center to have more blade contact than the heal and toe. When using such stones you have to insure the heal and toe get their share of stone contact by adjusting the pressure along your stroke.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
.... also does anyone else have a place on their face that a razor will absolutely not get all the stubble i found it in a small pach just on the jaw line
I had the same problem when I was starting out in this gentlemanly art, particularly on the jaw line. What eventually fixed the problem for me was using the keenness of edges, paying particularly attention to the shave angle (keeping it very flat) and proper skin stretching in that area (stretching by pulling against the grain direction).

It took me months (years?) to get it all together but it can be done.

I had the same problem when I was starting out in this gentlemanly art, particularly on the jaw line. What eventually fixed the problem for me was using the keenness of edges, paying particularly attention to the shave angle (keeping it very flat) and proper skin stretching in that area (stretching by pulling against the grain direction).

It took me months (years?) to get it all together but it can be done.
well with the edge i put on my gold dollar yesterday i am able to get it effortlessly the last one i put on my gold dollar is lightyears farther than what i have ever done before especially now that i know what im supposed to be looking for when it comes to the thumb nail test

S&J,

a low cost digital microscope that plugs into a computer or phone is an invaluable tool. Look online.

$30 - $40 is plenty good enough.

When you say "curled the edge" do you that you put a hint of a smile on edge's shape? I often need to use rolling x-strokes to reach that last few mm of heel and/or toe.

Top Bottom