What's new

A newbie asks: Just how steep, exactly, was your learning curve?

Most newbies -- and I'm one -- tend to post experiences about their first straight shave. I suspect that the less said about my first one, the better. Chalk it up to having too much in my head at once, going too slowly, approaching the process too timidly, or just that I'd never done it before, but the results wasn't pretty. Second shave, on Friday, wasn't much better.

Today's shave -- the third one -- marked the first time where I see why people bother. I wouldn't call it a good shave. More nicks that I would have liked. I have a difficult time with the left cheek (I'm left-handed, doing it lefty feels awkward, and I'm not very dexterous with the right hand). I find that even harder than the chin, where I'm having all the normal newbie difficulties. BUT, the mustache area cleaned up nicely in two passes, and the right cheek came out very smoothly. Again, not a good shave -- far too uneven -- but for the first time I see promise.

Now, I've read enough here to know that there's a serious learning curve here, and that it takes a good deal of time before one shaves well on a regular basis. But I'm wondering how steep I might expect the learning curve to be?

First, how long did it take you to get *anything* right, to experience that first wide-eyed moment of understanding like I had today? Then, after that first insight, did you find that those kept coming, or did you plateau every now and again? In other words: should I be discouraged if I don't see regular progress like the progress made today, or are peaks and valleys on the way more normal?

Peaks and valleys are most definitely normal. My first two shaves went very well I thought - still rough patches and some awkwardness - but I was making progress. Then shave number three and I put a nice slice in my cheek that I was sure was going to leave a scar. Perseverance and patience will see you through. You'll have ups and downs - great shaves and pretty ordinary ones, but the "average" will slowly get better and better over time.

The learning curve is different for everyone. I achieved true BBS on my second shave, yet 6 months later I got my very first nik. You never know where where this is going to take you. Patience and practice are the key.

I've only done 3 shaves with my straight, but some things are starting to click for me, such as the blade angle and skin stretching. I'm still not very good at it, but it's getting easier and I'm getting less irritation.

Unfortunatly, I still couldn't tell you exactly what I changed how..but it's getting there.

it was a few weeks before I was getting "decent shaves", considerably much longer I would say a few months until I was getting if not BBS a DFS and with no major blood loss on a consistent basis

It clicked for me the first shave (the why people bother moment you mentioned). I had some nicks (quite a few), but I also got much closer than I ever had with a cartridge. By my fourth shave, I had figured out a lot more about blade angle and skin stretching. Shaving with my DE is easier, and I still get better results with it. However, I am confident that as I continue to improve my technique, that margin will shrink & reverse.

Besides, it is just fun shaving with that monster blade :cool:

Be patient and keep at it :thumbup1:

And welcome to B&B

Took about a week before I was getting good shaves, a couple of weeks before I got comfortable using my left hand and perhaps a month to fantastic shaves.

My first shave was amazing. Not a nick and BBS so close there was barely anything to shave the next morning. It took me about 3 months to do it again though, and about 6 months before I could do as a matter of course.

So far, each time I go at it.. I learn something new. I think the key is stretching and enjoying what you are doing! stretch and shave my friend..

I have read about the peaks and valleys and soon all you will see is peaks..
Keep up the faith!

You hear lots of great stories about folks who get it right in a few shaves. However, for me it was a learning curve that lasted at least four months before I got close to an acceptable shave. Probably six months before I achieved a BBS shave. After a few years have passed, it seems like it should not have been that hard but it was what it was. Take your time and enjoy the journey.

So far, each time I go at it.. I learn something new. I think the key is stretching and enjoying what you are doing! stretch and shave my friend..

I have read about the peaks and valleys and soon all you will see is peaks..
Keep up the faith!

Same here.

When I first started with a straight I had a goatee. So I didn't have the same problems as some one who was shaving their whole face. I got perfect results on my checks, the jawline gave me some problems. About 8 or so shaves into my straight shaving journey I said what the heck. I lathered up the goatee and shaved it off. I started having some problems then. The chin and upper lip were difficult to say the least. I watched a bunch of videos on straight shaving again and read everything I could in the forum then went at it again.

This morning I got perfect BBS on my chin, the upper lip is pretty close to BBS but I didn't get the corners of my mouth BBS. I'm getting my trouble spots at the top of my neck bottom of my jaw DFS. These are the same trouble spots I that gave me fits with my Slant.

One thing for me is that with each shave I am putting "it" all together. Some days better then other days. What I mean is that on each shave I learn something new and get BBS some place on my face, at the same time it seems like I am concentrating so much on a couple of areas that I only get DFS on the rest of my face. Or like this morning and the corners of my mouth, not quit DFS.

Concentrate on your stropping. My technique has improved and so has my shave.

Last edited:
One thing with for me is that with each shave I am putting "it" all together.

This is one thing I found so fascinating about straight razors. There is so much to learn, and though you can get a good shave within a month or so by grokking a few basic fundamentals, you keep learning and improving for years. For me the rate of learning slowed down after about 6 months, then every 3 months or so I'd have another "aha" moment and my shaves would improve another quantum. I didn't even realize the importance of the canvas side of the strop until I'd been doing this for a couple of years.

But even beyond those major quantum improvements, you gain a great deal of experience that you don't even realize. Then one day you realize that you just finished a hurried shave without any prep, using a razor that turns out to be distressingly dull, and yet you still got a BBS shave with no irritation. And one day in December you realize that it's been a year since you've gotten any sort of nick, and even that last one was only because your dog decided to lick your ankle mid-stroke.

this is my first post, and I should introduce my self first, so sorry!

Anyway, I've been straight razor shaving with a shavette I bought in t'internet (cheap) for about a week and a half. It's not quite the same thing, and I very much look forward to my true straight razor arriving. Anyway, I think it took about 7 days. The first couple of days I enjoyed the experience but I wasn't getting a completely great shave, no ATG pass.

That was with no help. By the 3rd and 4th day I was shaving after a shower, and doing ATG on my neck. Sure I was still getting nicks but I didn't worry too much about that.

By day 6 I was confident enough to do an ATG pass on my whole face, I had got comfortable with where I could stretch my skin sufficiently, and how to cut my chin and jaw line area.

I think the key is to read as much as you can and relax. I shave every day now (where I might have left it a week or more) and I'm enjoying it. Regardless of how 'good' your shaves are, if you enjoy it keep at it!

Top Bottom