What's new

A New Generation 4 Synthetic Brush - Introducing the Frank Shaving Pur-Tech

Thanks for the clarification, Gary. I just took a close look at my brush and there's definitely no glue bump. I can't say that none of the FS brushes will have it, though. Who knows what kind of quality control they have there? Maybe I just got lucky!

All I know is I really like the brush and it quickly made it's way into my rotation.

GDC, Last fall quite a few of us ordered the "Samjax" brush due to his pleasure with it and it then being "Finally a Synthetic Winner". I ordered a few and have had no complaints with them. Do you know which generation the Samjax knots were and how they compare to the new Gen-4.

Did you ever use the Samjax brush? I know you were quite put off by the ordered loft and received loft discrepancy. But this new generation has loft differences also. How do the two compare, since the Samjax is the only other synth. I own?

I guess this question is directed to anyone that has used both the Samjax and the new synth. brush.

Thanks.

GDC, Last fall quite a few of us ordered the "Samjax" brush due to his pleasure with it and it then being "Finally a Synthetic Winner". I ordered a few and have had no complaints with them. Do you know which generation the Samjax knots were and how they compare to the new Gen-4.

Did you ever use the Samjax brush? I know you were quite put off by the ordered loft and received loft discrepancy. But this new generation has loft differences also. How do the two compare, since the Samjax is the only other synth. I own?

I guess this question is directed to anyone that has used both the Samjax and the new synth. brush.

Thanks.

You remembered. I was more than put off with was FS trying to act like a custom house when what they would deliver a brush that was off the shelf 58 mm loft. How they conducted business and treat "custom" customers was truly off putting after they went to so much discussion to position themselves as such. They were not prepared to behave like a custom vendor in any way. When they decided to challenge Muhle and say their fibers were as good, I groaned, and realized I would have to see if they were being factual or not. So off I went to deal with them again and the first posting is the results of that testing.

Putting that aside. I glad I had saved my "Samjax" brush so I could compare it to some other brushes. It used the same fibers as the TGN 23 mm nylon that has been around for years and my 3 year old FS brush that I use for travel. The "Samjax" brush a very early generation 3 fiber. Later Generation 3 fibers such as those used in the TGN 3 Band and the Kent are much better than this older Gen 3 fiber. The Pur-Tech has more usable backbone than the earlier brush because the fibers are set apart and flared more so that the brush flexes more and is easier to move on the face. In addition the softness of the tips of even later Gen 3 fiber brushes is better than the earlier Gen 3 such as the "Samjax" and the Generation 4 is even better than later Gen 3 brushes. The Pur-Tech is far softer and in reality was what was desired from FM Brush/Artist Brushstrokes and the early versions H.I.S. brush. The H.I.S. brush had the Gen 4 fiber first, but failed to create a handle and loft like Muhle did with their V2 STF and now FS has done with the Pur-Tech.

Tom (Samjax) was working with FS at the same time I was working with FM Brush/Artist Brushstrokes (H.I.S.) to try to bring more choices to the market. I had even completely disassembled a H.I.S. brush, even down to taking the fibers out and building a new 25.5 mm knot with a shorted loft to prove that the fiber needed to be used in a medium range loft and conventional handle. FM Brush/Artist Brushstrokes (H.I.S.) continued with their original handle which is why no one discusses them much any more. They simply refused to understand the traditional shaving market and consumer based.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/320171-I-Shrunk-The-H-I-S-Brush-Modification

Muhle who was well aware of the potential of this fiber, took up the challenge and delivered on Gen 4 synthetic brushes. Now FS seems determined to go toe to toe with Muhle at least with fiber technology to stay competitive. So now we have a higher and lower end choice for these brushes.

The Pur-Tech is far better than the Samjax brush simply because of the better fiber that is used. That does not mean the earlier brush is bad, it is that later Gen 3 and now Gen 4 fibers are better. This does not change the business model that FS uses so remember that they are still make lofts levels that are not as advertised and thinking that they make custom brushes on a consistent basis. With FS you will simply pay less and have to live with a wider range of manufacturing tolerances.

P.S. The one thing that people need to understand is that the manufacturers that are really into producing products directed to Traditional shavers pay attention to these forums whether they are members or not. They do take notes as to what "standard make", "customized" or "semi-customized" products are being heavily used or worked by members to see if these ideas will work for them. So I applaud Tom (Samjax) as well as other forum members for making contributions to advance the cause of Traditional shaving.

Well...I just bought a Muhle V2. Yeah, the FS might have a decent knot, but it sure comes in second when compared to the other (most obvious but less talked about) half of the brush, the HANDLE!!

You are not going to convince me the FS product is superior in F&F, quality of materials, and overall goodness when compared to a similar Muhle brush. I have owned both. Thata is my hallowed yet humble opinion.

Well...I just bought a Muhle V2. Yeah, the FS might have a decent knot, but it sure comes in second when compared to the other (most obvious but less talked about) half of the brush, the HANDLE!!

You are not going to convince me the FS product is superior in F&F, quality of materials, and overall goodness when compared to a similar Muhle brush. I have owned both. That a is my hallowed yet humble opinion.

No one is trying to.

I have versions of all major synthetics including 3 Muhles (V1 and V2) , 2 H.I.S., 1 modified H.I.S. and a variety of others with both custom and stock handles. So my postilion is to compare and contrast between them all with as little bias as I can so that the users can gain a better understanding of what is available.

FS has a silvertip badger brush for almost exactly the same price. Putting the novelty factor aside, would you spend the $60 on the synthetic or the silvertip?

FS has a silvertip badger brush for almost exactly the same price. Putting the novelty factor aside, would you spend the $60 on the synthetic or the silvertip?

If you are mentioning novelty as being the synthetic, then take a look a various threads on the subject. Each type of brush whether it be Badger, Horse, Boar or Synthetic has its own strengths and weaknesses.

Please read the following concerning the strengths and weaknesses and the end of the very first posting will give you my answer.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...sis-Generations-Updated?p=5206406#post5206406

Thanks to your generous information sharing I have added a Pur-Tech to my small Badger collection. It arrived today and is a Beast of a brush (this is a good term in New Zealand).
I loved the weight and feel of the handle. Whipped up a couple of different soaps and was amazed by the softness on the face and very easy to spread the lather out evenly (if that makes sense). I am still in my first year of traditional shaving and had no intention of getting a synthetic brush until reading this thread and am very pleased I did. For newer members like me this info is excellent.
I started with FS badger brushes and have nothing but praise for them and have never had an issue (7 so far)
Since my brother now lives in China I have gottten over my disrespect for their country and products.

Some of the prices are really crazy for the FS Brushes. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=161161104980#ht_816wt_1219 This guy just re-listed this brush at $110 + $6.95 shipping, OBO. His original price was $40.99 + $6.95 shippingOBO? Greedy or what? And to top it off the brushes are stated as not being perfect. Yellowing at the bottom of the knot. Guess it boils down to buyer beware.

That is annoying and silly. It a common practice on the Bay by some sellers to have a standard price listed and an inflated one too. Seems this guy has followed suit :bored:

Gary, excellent review, interesting comparison between the three brushes. Interesting test comparison would be with a silvertip badger vs a synthetic brush.

Gary, first of all let me thank you for doing this review. Very interesting info.

For those looking at synthetic knot brushes. Don't bother buying the Muhle brushes directly from Muhle or from most retailers. Buy it from Connaught Shaving. The prices of their V2 brushes there are very comparable to the Frank Shaving prices for their new generation fibres and the handles are far and away superior, in my opinion. I own a V2 Muhle 21mm brush in Faux Horn and really like it a LOT. Both for the handle and the performance.

proxy.php

Mine ,in action.

Gary, first of all let me thank you for doing this review. Very interesting info.

For those looking at synthetic knot brushes. Don't bother buying the Muhle brushes directly from Muhle or from most retailers. Buy it from Connaught Shaving. The prices of their V2 brushes there are very comparable to the Frank Shaving prices for their new generation fibres and the handles are far and away superior, in my opinion. I own a V2 Muhle 21mm brush in Faux Horn and really like it a LOT. Both for the handle and the performance.

Thanks for the information, great to know that.

Thanks for the information, great to know that.

Connaught long ago cleared most of their V1 stock so now they are showing V2 markings under their prime Muhle menu .
I still see that they have a couple of what looks like V1 Black Fibre brushes under the clearance section of the site as of 30 Nov 2013.

Top Bottom