What's new

A journal of a Cajun's life wet shaving

Mail callllllllllll!!!!!!!

IMG_3136.jpeg

Pure Pens order shows up. Amazing I can order from England and get it here in a week, yet a letter mailed off Thursday morning hasn’t traveled 300 miles to my mom’s house in Louisiana. Anywho. Two red Preppies to use at work. A Kaweco Sport, blue and red Kaweco ink, LAMY nibs in M, Broad and 1.1 sizes and some inks described below.
IMG_3137.jpeg

Boris (@blethenstrom) I hope you’re proud of yourself, you dun got me writing in brown ink. Which a few months ago I would would have bet a late sum of money that it would never happen. Haha.

I found it to be quite similar to the Wizamet, but to your point, a bit pickier. I ended up stocking up on Wizamet's (a lifetime supply for someone half my age), so I use the Rapira's just for a change of pace.
Don't say that! I've never tried a wizamet, I'm saving that purchase as a treat to myself if I manage to get through this annual restraint.

If I ever fall down the fountain pen rabbit hole it'll be for a kaweco. That is a sharp looking blue!

Flanders

Stupid sexy Wing Nut
If I ever fall down the fountain pen rabbit hole it'll be for a kaweco. That is a sharp looking blue!
Whatever you do, don't look at this new pen. :devil:

I would have it ordered already, but it's just above my impulse purchase threshold.

Mail callllllllllll!!!!!!!

View attachment 1845844
Pure Pens order shows up. Amazing I can order from England and get it here in a week, yet a letter mailed off Thursday morning hasn’t traveled 300 miles to my mom’s house in Louisiana. Anywho. Two red Preppies to use at work. A Kaweco Sport, blue and red Kaweco ink, LAMY nibs in M, Broad and 1.1 sizes and some inks described below.
View attachment 1845848
Boris (@blethenstrom) I hope you’re proud of yourself, you dun got me writing in brown ink. Which a few months ago I would would have bet a late sum of money that it would never happen. Haha.
That is a nice pen haul there my friend. Yep I am very proud of myself. Pure Pens is a great store in the UK. They are certainly quick. That is what fountain pens and ink AD does to you. I like browns, greens, reds........ nowadays. Yep I would never have dreamt of that either. I was a black pen guy before, not even blue. Times changes. Now you got R&K Salix I see. That is a nice iron gall ink that will resist water. It is also quite good on poor paper. That may be another potential ink for work. Iron gall is cool because it darkens as it sits on the page. Most ink goes on dark and lightens. Iron gall is the opposite.

True iron gall ink is not suitable for fountain pens due to its high acidity, but modern formulations is fine. Iron gall inks are very very old and was the choice when writing with quills and such due to its resistance to water. Actually the declaration of independence and the bill of rights were written in iron gall ink. It actually "etches" the paper and that is how it is permanent. It will eventually "eat" the paper due it its high acidity, but as we know with the declaration of independence that takes a while. Great ink along with it's sister R&K Scabiosa which also is an iron gall. Another color I would not think I would like.
1715686000343.png

Credit: mountain of ink Ink Review #2422: Rohrer and Klingner Scabiosa — Mountain of Ink - https://mountainofink.com/blog/rohrer-klingner-scabiosa?rq=scabiosa

Whatever you do, don't look at this new pen. :devil:

I would have it ordered already, but it's just above my impulse purchase threshold.
You have to work yourself up to it.......

Excellent, I just received my order from Pure Pens as well. Yep about a week. I did the 1.1 and the 1.5 nibs. I like the 1.1 but the 1.5 might be a bit too wide.
Yeah the 1.5 mm is harder to use. You have to write pretty large for it. It is a struggle to use it on college lines paper like I did in my letter. It is easy for the letters to flow together. 1.1mm is a great size. I think I have a 1.1mm in Lamy, Pilot Plumix and TWSBI GO. I like actually the 1.1mm in the Pilot the best since it is the sharpest, but it require you to adjust your angles while writing so you do not catch the corners of the nib on the paper. The TWSBI GO 1.1mm is almost like a stub 1.1 so very rounded corners of the nib.

Don't say that! I've never tried a wizamet, I'm saving that purchase as a treat to myself if I manage to get through this annual restraint.

Did you see this one?????

LAMY Studio.

IMG_3103.jpeg

Now that one is on the radar. After some use and patina buildup that would be perfect.

I like the "small" pens too. I got the Travelers Company brass pen mainly because it has a clip on it as well. Which you can take off if you want. It also has a ring on the top if you want to attach it to a lanyard as well.

View attachment 1846170
Yeah on the Kaweco Sport brass you have to buy the clip separately and I did get one for mine. I like how the brass pens are like tanks. You can just stick it in your pocket and not worry about them.

300+ Shaves in 2024 125 of 300+
May 2024 GRUME 13/31
Shave Date 5/14/2024
Razor:
1967 Slim Adjustable TTO
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (5)
Pre-Shave: Razor Emporium Pre-Shave soap
Soap: Razor Emporium Heritage (4)
Brush: Zenith 507-BC Blue Cobolt boar
Post-shave: Alum Bock, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Mother Bear Winter Balm, RE Heritage, British Sterling Cologne
Rating: 27/30 9 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 8 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+++ neck.

Notes:
The Slim adjustable got the call for the last shave of the Rapira, it was ok but not as good as the Techs delivered. I started on level 5 on the initial pass (WTG) and I did feel the blade more, it was rougher than yesterday with the Techs. This feeling continued despite bumping down the aggression to 3 and 1 on the XTG and ATG passes respectively. I even rode the cap more on the WTG and XTG passes, whereas in the past I'd shave with a steeper angle for those two passes. I was able to get through the shave with no nicks, cuts, or irritation. No touch-up passes were done just the 3 normal passes, as the shave was on the verge of being too rough. The best razors I own for the Rapira are the Techs, which handle the blade great, with no issues whatsoever. British Sterling is a blast from the past scent of the day. I remember this scent in high school when I struck out with the ladies more than I did when I batted. Haha. The Good LORD didn't bless me with baseball skills, I had more basketball skills, but the Good LORD blessed me with being a short white kid also. But I am blessed, with my knees intact. The next blade up will be the Kai, I have not tried that one yet, I think that will complete all the blades I have to try, I'll have to search my box and see what I have in there I have not tried yet. We shall not mention how many open tucks I have, but maybe I set up a race of sorts, what do I 3017 first, my open tucks of blades, or the Heritage soap? I have no idea how long a soap will last, Heritage is a croap, so it would go faster than a hard soap. I had figured a year for a soap, but that may be off. I'd have to weigh the puck before and after loading to know what I used up, but my scale burnt out on me.

That is all for today, gotta go and prep for a new dispensing software installation, on top of all of the headaches with getting our various provider numbers updated, management had already decided to update our software. But I am blessed.

I wish all a blessed Tuesday, and may all your shaves be the best.

IMG_3143.jpeg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I was cleaning up some empty boxes in the garage yesterday and I stumbled upon a Gold Spot 63 page catalog.... My, Oh, My....

I can see how easily fountain pens would be such a draw. An old fashion catalog displays them so artfully..... more engaging that their website though it doesn't have their entire inventory.... But what beauty found in one little catalog. They sent it to me when I bought a few Caran d'Ache Fixpencil Mechanical Pencils, 3mm. I use them for fine carpentry work.... but man... all those lovely pens. They even have spectacular ballpoints, as I'm sure you know... I used to use the thick Cross pens when I was in sales....

Anyway... I just use cheap Zebra pens these days... Their tactical pens are nice enough for me now.

I was cleaning up some empty boxes in the garage yesterday and I stumbled upon a Gold Spot 63 page catalog.... My, Oh, My....

I can see how easily fountain pens would be such a draw. An old fashion catalog displays them so artfully..... more engaging that their website though it doesn't have their entire inventory.... But what beauty found in one little catalog. They sent it to me when I bought a few Caran d'Ache Fixpencil Mechanical Pencils, 3mm. I use them for fine carpentry work.... but man... all those lovely pens. They even have spectacular ballpoints, as I'm sure you know... I used to use the thick Cross pens when I was in sales....

Anyway... I just use cheap Zebra pens these days... Their tactical pens are nice enough for me now.
You have to tread very gingerly around the rabbit hole of fountain pens. Even the sides of the hole are not very stable and secure.
Rabbit Hole Omg GIF by Tubi

I haven't seen an open picture of your soap, but I am betting on 3 months. You can do it, let's call it end of August at the latest! 💪
I was making some progress on the Spartacus soap, I could see it dropping below the level of the label on the outside. If its 3 months per soap then I only have 10 years' worth of soap. The poor kids won't inherent any soap at that rate.

I did see that Lamy. I need super cheap, super easy and accessible if I were to buy one. It would probably be the LAMY Safari or the kaweco sport fine. Just as when I started wet shaving I got a super cheap merkur. So if I didn't enjoy the hobby I wouldn't feel bad about spending money on it to start

I did see that Lamy. I need super cheap, super easy and accessible if I were to buy one. It would probably be the LAMY Safari or the kaweco sport fine. Just as when I started wet shaving I got a super cheap merkur. So if I didn't enjoy the hobby I wouldn't feel bad about spending money on it to start
The Safari is an excellent pen. No problemos with mine. I prefer the Fine nib. The Lamy nibs seem to write a bit heavier than others.

Top Bottom