What's new

A Great Restoration/Maintenance Aid

I bought this set of three nail punches yesterday, at my local Harbor Freight store; it cost a bit under $4.00 and is worth every penny -- now you don't have to suffer from loose pins, or worry about marring/cracking/breaking the scales!

proxy.php

This morning I used them to tighten-up the pins on several razors -- amazing! Of course, I placed the other end of the pin on a small jeweler's anvil, and used only light taps of my 2oz ball-peen hammer (the flat side). The great thing is that the "business end" of each punch is concave, so it fits over the "mushroomed" end of the pin and won't slip off.

The part number on the package is: 41988, and the description is: 3PC Color Coded Nail Punch Set. The sizes are: 1/32", 1/16", and 3/32".

Smooth shaving!

I was looking at those the other day and thinking of trying them out. I was worried it might transfer too much force or at a wrong angle and bend the pins

I was looking at those the other day and thinking of trying them out. I was worried it might transfer too much force or at a wrong angle and bend the pins

Quite true! For this reason, I make sure that the pin-head underneath is resting securely on the anvil (but no portion of the scales), and I only make one fairly-firm tap at-a-time on the nail punch.

Thanks for pointing this out!

Top Bottom