What's new

A favourite, but not my top choice

I've had these sitting in my drawer for quite a while. They're very good, but not my top choice. It's going to take me a long time to get through them all!

Attachments

• IMG_9025.jpg
    IMG_9025.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_9027.jpg
    IMG_9027.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
You committed a huge foul by not stating .... (missing ingredients here.. fill in the blank...)

My favorite foul (missing obvious statements of fact) in this entire BBS is the thread called "One and Done". In the dozens of pages and hundreds of posts not one of them states the answer to the obvious question :Why would you use a blade only once that may have many cycles left in its life time, or worse yet, might get better with each use as various 'coatings' wear off. ???

My favorite foul (missing obvious statements of fact) in this entire BBS is the thread called "One and Done". In the dozens of pages and hundreds of posts not one of them states the answer to the obvious question :Why would you use a blade only once that may have many cycles left in its life time, or worse yet, might get better with each use as various 'coatings' wear off. ???
I think we know. Most important is the desire to use something new, fresh, virginal, every time. There are practical aspects that include consistency, and knowing the blade is never going to show any meaningful sign of deterioration.

Among these, consistency is the only one that actually makes any sense to me. We know that the lack of degradation is not actually an issue in the first several shaves with most blades and faces.

I am doing some measurements of my own blades, and I know for sure that the actual dulling of the blade has been very slow for me with an Astra SP this week. After the first, second, third, and fourth shaves, the measured sharpness is close enough that it is unlikely anyone could actually tell my 1x, 2x, 3x, or 4x blade apart in a blind test. The new blade is noticeably different, though.

Yeah, some of the blades I use are remarkably consistent for multiple use. For instance, the Personna Comfort Coated or Dorco Titan and Primes, even the Kai blades. But there are some blades that drop off quickly, like the Feather. The only "rational" explanation would be because you've over-bought so many blades, for multiple lifespans, that you need to use them up. :) I'll give them a little slack though. Everyone has their own priorities when shaving. I strive for comfort. Some like to test the limits of aggressiveness. Some just like a fresh blade. And everyone is open to shaving change at some point. It makes this hobby sort of fun.

First choice:Nacet.
Second tier: Lord Platinum, 7'oclock Green and Yellow Russian, Gillette Wilkinson Sword India, Gillette Platinum, Polsilver, Rapira Platinum, Gillette 7 o'clock India. Crown. Bic Chrome Platinum
Third tier: Ladas, Lord Stainless,

Top Bottom