What's new

A Downhill Slide..

I know.. I'm sure you guys get a lot of "I'm getting worse, instead of better threads", but I'm getting exponentially worse with every shave. The first, 2 - 2.5 weeks ago, was ok, better than my Mach3 shaves. Well closer anyway, still had 3-4 little spots of blood afterward.
I've been shaving approximately every 2-3 days since (same schedule as before I tried the DE razor) and its been real bad. I don't think I could count the nicks from todays shave on account of the blood pooling on my neck/chin from all the cuts. It was embarassing, and painful. Razor burn like you wouldn't believe.

Typically I shower before the shave. Wash my face with a glycerin based peppermint soap that I like. Lather up with Proraso or Taylor of Old Bond Lavendar cream. Let that sit for a minute or two and then proceed to the actual shave. I'm using a Merkur HD with a Feather blade. Too slow and it feels like the razor is "bouncing" its way down my cheek, any faster and I get razor burn. Wrong angle? I've been trying to match the speed/angle I've seen in one of the videos on youtube that everyone links too. Last week or so I've been following with a Alum bar and Nivea sensitive skin ASB.

eh.. mostly I'm venting because my face hurts. I think I'm going to take a week off and let my skin recover.

- Andrew

Try a different blade is my first thought. Some people have found that the Feather blades are not for them---and maybe you're one. LetterK has a sampler. Try a Derby blade or an Israeli.

Try using some 100% glyercine as an every-pass pre-shave: rub it on your wet beard just before you lather, just a small amount (about 1/2 tsp).

Obviously, watch the angle, the pressure, etc., but you know all that. Use short strokes, though: makes it easier to keep the right angle and mind the pressure.

Duece
Thanks for checking in-
If your blade is bouncing it could be a few things.

Razor cap is loose- tighten it up.

Bad lather -need more cushion-work it more with more water
(or not a good choice for your face)

Dull blade-change (New ones are bad once in a while)

Poor prep- hair conditioner works for some, hot towel etc.

if you are getting razor burn and cuts you might want to read Kyle's post "what works for me"

The angle on Mantics video is not Representative to most razors.

Ty this, place the top of the razor on your face handle parallel to the floor lower the handle till the blade just catches your beard, thats your angle you can try it on your arm to get the feel.

More men will jump in here- so don't give up, keep posting!

Take care

Try using the 2 or three finger hold at the end of the handle in the "What Works For Me" post Jim mentioned above. Dont use too much pressure, and remember all the hair wont come off with the first pass (which I assume you know). I've been shaving with the HD for a week now and have had no cuts. Not trying to brag, just telling you its possible for a newbie! Also, try adjusting your angle. I tested it on my arrm by seeing what angle would cut the hair. You might want to try your upper thigh, like suggested in another thread, because I have a hairless patch near my wrist now! Also, if you arent already doing it, go back to only 2 N-S passes. It doesnt give the best shave in the world, but it helps to hone technique. I've even started doing diagonal and small against the grain passes on trouble spots (chin and the side of my mouth.) Hope things start going better for you.

Andrew,

You've receive some excellent advice. A few more tips:

When you shave, what is the noise level? Is the bathroom fan or a radio on? Shaving in a very quite room provides you with yet another important feedback, the sound of the razor cutting your whiskers. You'll quickly discern clean shaving compared to scraping.

You may want to add another day between shaves if work allows.

It will take a some time for you skin to toughen up to DE usage. One day you observe that it's been a long time since you had a nick.

Change the order of your shave. Do you shave before or after your shower. I used to shave after my shower with 90% of my shave above standard. I now shave prior to showering, a quick splash of water, and lather up. Four passes later result in a BBS shave. Hop into the shower and let your face soak in the hot water.

Finally pay close attention to Kyle's description of holding the razor. Allowing the razor to do the work does wonders.

Most important of all though is keep us up to date! You've taken the biggest step to the best shaves of your life. Have a good one!:smile:

Andrew,
First I've gotta say Welcome to B&B now to question:
You've gotten great advice so far. My immediate thought is that its the feather blade. I got a few samples the other day, I had been using Israeli Personnas with Merkurs before that, the Merkurs hurt, enough said. I was really happy with IPs but I wanted to see what else what out there. I have been shaving with a feather for 2 days now. I've never cut my face as much or had razor burn as painful. Tonight is my last feather shave. Some people here swear by them and others, me definately and maybe you, just can't handle them. I would definately try the Derby's and the Israeli's. They are much smoother and gentler. I personally recommend the IPs. Also make sure you check Kyle's post on grip too (mentioned in earlier posts). It looks silly but it works. I will keep your pressure light and that can save your face. And at least try some new blades. If you don't end up with a sampler from Letter K drop me a PM and I'll mail you some Israeli's, it's all I've got to share, but I'll give you a couple, they may help.

Best of luck.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Don't give up on the Feathers just yet- they give one of the closest shaves around. A light hand is certainly required, though, as they're not as forgiving as the Derbys or IP's. Before you toss them, make sure you try them in different razors, as they may shine with one razor and kill with another.

When you've tried all these things, maybe drop the glycerine soap on your face prior to shaving. I find glycerine soaps (like Pears -nice soap otherwise)quite drying on my face and causing considerable pull of the razor. Another tip: let the Proraso sit on your face another minute.

You might try getting your hands on a Gillette Tech razor. They are very gentle shavers. You might not get every whisker with it, but it will leave you with next to no irritation.

I had your exact same experience. Everything is going to be okay... I know how frustrating it can be to have all these new wonderful toys and lotions and nothing seems to be working.

What razor are you using? I started with the HD and found that I could not use it becuase it was a bit to aggressive for me. Using an adjustable helped because the setting could be dialed way back.

As some have suggested different blades work for different people. I have the best luck with the Merkur blades and the worst with the Derby. Many here would argue that so you'll have to find a blade that works for you.

Prep is the most important key that goes overlooked a lot. The 2-3 minute warm towel / proraso pre/post method does wonders.

You might try to eliminate all the variables by keeping things simple in the beginning by shaving with the grain for a couple of weeks using the same cream or soap.

Finally I found that washing the face with cetaphil and following up with some aloe helped the razor burn to heal better.

All the advice on these threads is good but there are themes so choose what works best for you. You will get better shaves it takes some adjusting to though... trust me.

ouch said:
Don't give up on the Feathers just yet- they give one of the closest shaves around. A light hand is certainly required, though, as they're not as forgiving as the Derbys or IP's. Before you toss them, make sure you try them in different razors, as they may shine with one razor and kill with another.

I completely disagree.:eek: Put the Feathers in the drawer and try a less agressive blade until your technique has improved and you have a little more experience. Once you are getting good shaves with a Derby or Merkur, then go back to the Feather.

While it sounds like you may be having some lathering issues, the sharpness of the Feather is only going to compound the problem. A more forgiving blade will let you work out all the other issues without the bloodletting (or at least as much).

sound to me like you just have "2 week syndrome" same thing happened to me and im sure many here will vouch for it. what happens is that after 2-3 weeks you see that your shaves can be better and start trying harder. you start to try too hard and get irritation. my advice start over at square one. two with the grain passes and dont worry if you dont get all the stubble.

matthew

1 blade(probably not the feather to start)

1 brush, 1 cream/soap

1 month

However, since your face is in bad shape, let it rest for 3-4 days b4 you attempt to shave again following the advice given in earlier posts. Patience, young skywalker- you must open yourself up to the force instead of fighting it.

Marty

Wow! Thanks for all the advice! I never expected this kind of response. Don't worry, I'm not giving up. Just taking a few days to let my skin heal up. I'll definitely try out the suggestions in a few days when I decide I've healed sufficiently. At the moment all I've got available is Merkurs, Feathers and Kroger brand razors (I think the kroger are American made personnas?). One other question, anyone here shave better with an older blade? I ask because when I was using a mach3, the first two or three shaves on a new blade would be really hard on me, after that it seemed like I didn't get as many nicks or razor burn.

- Andrew

Andrew,

Not sure about the older blade thing. I sort of feel that way about Feathers, maybe, but not sure.

Frankly, Feathers do give a great shave, but if you are tearing up your face like you describe, go with the Merkurs. And STICK WITH THEM. Even if you decide to go with the Feathers, STICK WITH THEM. Using the same setup without much variation really helped me, and I think it might help you.

If the razor ever feels like it is bouncing, something is very wrong. I had this happen a little early on, and it was not a good thing for my face. Two things I think are likely to be the cause.

1) Lather. Those are both good/great creams, so they should lather up very well. There are lathering tutorials around here somewhere. Find the creams one and study it a little. Make sure that is the kind of lather you are getting. Too much or too little water has caused me the skipping and sticking problem you describe.

2) Angle. Following the YouTude video on angle is likely to get you in trouble, just because of the razor he is using, I think. He does describe how to find the correct angle though, I think. Also, look for the last, shorter DE Part Two video. In that he demostrates how to get the right angle. The quick version is this though: Place the razor on your cheek so that just the rounded top of the razor is touching your face, NOT the blade. Then lower the handle slowly until the blade just makes contact. If you do this while moving the razor down your face, you will feel the blade start to cut hair when the angle gets right. That's the angle you want. Try to keep this angle of razor to skin everywhere through your shave. You can also do this experiment on your arm or a flat part of your hand, just to get a more direct, up-close look at the right angle.

Finally, make sure you keep the pressure light. And while I like to use brisk strokes, you might go for slow and steady, if you are having trouble. Also, keeping them short can help with keeping the angle and pressure right.

Finally finally, don't worry about the closeness of your shave, until you are getting a fairly comfortable shave. Just do downward/with the grain passes. If one isn't enough to look halfway presentable, do another, but don't try to go against the grain, or anything else close for now.

Edit: btw. letting your face rest for a few days, after being that beat up = good idea. If you start to get really irritated again after getting back into it, repeat.

Disclaimer: I am relatively new to this, so I am not offering the advice of years of DE experience. Rather, the advice of one who started a few months ago, had a downhill slide a few weeks in, and followed the above advice to turn it around and work toward the excellent shaves I get now. I my advice will also jive with the general consensus of the board. But it is just one person's advice, and a relative newbie's at that, so take with grains of salt.

As far as an older blade goes... I don't know but I do know that when you come across a good one that seems to provide endless great shaves until you pay for trying to squeeze one more shave out of it is just great.

I've have found that some blades seem to shave best on the third and fourth shaves. The first one or two shaves are no good and that fifth one will hurt you bad!

Rik said:
It will take a some time for you skin to toughen up to DE usage.

Rik, Does that hold true, even if you are transitioning from using a cartridge razor like a Gillette Mach 3 to a DE? I don't know, but I would think that someone transitioning from an electric :eek: would face a higher learning curve, on a DE, because the electrics I've had, are very forgiving. In other words, there's a lot of "hand holding"going on. But with a CR you can get some pretty nasty nicks.

I remember once 20 years ago? I didn't have time to shave at home, so when I arrived at our destination, I went into the public bathroom and shaved. When I came out you would have thought I was a casulty of the Vietnam War. It was so Bad, they said "What happened to you"? Not one of my better moments. :blushing:

I'm fairly certain, something like that, would not have happened had I used an electric razor.

Duggo

Top Bottom