What's new

9 Facts about Time that will make you look at your watch differently!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
[FONT=&amp]
proxy.php
[/FONT]
"The only reason for time is so everything doesn't happen at once". Albert Einstein

By John Hendrickson - 5 Nov 14

"We wear watches for style purposes, sure, but we also wear them for a sense of control. A watch is a symbol of comfort and routine when traveling in a foreign land. A watch does not require a cellular signal or antenna reception. A watch keeps ticking without needing to be charged. All a watch requires is a simple forward or backward wind whenever geography or calendars demand it. When this change occurs, as it did this past weekend, we're usually left with a renewed appreciation for the passage of time. Or at least, the illusion of such a passage.

Is your brain hurting yet
proxy.php

If not, spend a few minutes reading this interview with Tom O'Brian, official timekeeper at the National Institute of Standards and Technology in Boulder, Colorado.

Put more simply, O'Brian is in charge of America's Master Clock".

$Master Clock.jpg

In the above pic..."Strontium atoms floating in the center of this photo are the heart of the world's most precise clock. The clock is so exact that it can detect tiny shifts in the flow of time itself".

Read More: http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/smart-living/9-facts-about-time-that-will-make-you-look-at-your-watch-differently/ar-BBd9tk3

proxy.php
[FONT=&amp]"One must learn to govern time...not be governed by it". CBJ[/FONT]

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The accuracy of the now common GPS depends on relativity theory.

This was an amazing post! Thank you! That NPR article was a great read. Sometimes I wish I was a physicist. Economics is close though ;)

PBS currently has a series called How we got to now. These are hour long episodes, but the one called Time is an interesting story about the history of clocks, navigation, timezones, etc. You may know some of this history, but probably not all of it.

Time is pretty simple when you think of it this way:

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey... stuff. - The Doctor

I set my watches to NIST time. My Maurice Lacroix lost ten seconds....all year. It's a thermocompensated quartz movement.

I was once read that everything you see already happened. Essentially, in the fraction of a second it takes light to reach from that object, to your eye, to register in your brain that object is already in the future. You're always looking into the past. That blew my mind for a few days.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I was once read that everything you see already happened. Essentially, in the fraction of a second it takes light to reach from that object, to your eye, to register in your brain that object is already in the future. You're always looking into the past. That blew my mind for a few days.

It's not just a fraction of a second. You see the moon as it was one and a third seconds ago, and the sun as it was over eight minutes ago. The light from the nearest star left over four years ago, and light from the brightest star in the sky started its journey nine years ago. And that's just the beginning- light from the nearest of the other 100,000,000,000+ galaxies took over two million years to get here.

Top Bottom