What's new

6/8 vs 5/8

I am looking to get my first straight razor. I really like the 6/8 size but was wondering if there was much of a difference between a 5/8 and 6/8...I am having trouble finding a Spanish point or hook point in 6/8 and am considering going with a 5/8 to save money and not have to go the custom route. Any experiences with the 2 sizes would be Great! Thank you in advance!

Pretty much a matter of personal preference. I only own 2 razors in 5/8..the remainder are all 6/8..7/8.
I find the 5/8 blade just too diminutive. Usually 5/8 razors are also thinner along the spine, in all just a tad “light and dainty”. But, there are very many who prefer such.

My first razor was 6/8 and my second was 4/8 since then I have had a whole load of different sizes.
I like full hollow light razors best not so worried about the width, up to 6/8, nothing bigger though.

There is 1/8 of an inch difference, so hardly negligible when shaving. I have most of the popular blade widths. Once I’m shaving, I notice very little difference. I have round, mostly square, and barbers notch. One is no more save in my hand as the other .

All of my razors are either 5/8 or 6/8 and I rotate between both. For me the size difference is more of a "Today I feel like using...". If the choice is between getting style of razor I want but not 6/8, or getting 6/8 but not the style of razor I want, I choose style.

If you try enough razors, you'll find that there are razors the same size but feel bigger or smaller. I have a Dorko 5/8 that feels smaller than my other 5/8 blades.

There is 1/8 of an inch difference, so hardly negligible when shaving. I have most of the popular blade widths. Once I’m shaving, I notice very little difference. I have round, mostly square, and barbers notch. One is no more save in my hand as the other .
That is what is was curious about. If there is a noticable difference when shaving. Thank you!

All of my razors are either 5/8 or 6/8 and I rotate between both. For me the size difference is more of a "Today I feel like using...". If the choice is between getting style of razor I want but not 6/8, or getting 6/8 but not the style of razor I want, I choose style.

If you try enough razors, you'll find that there are razors the same size but feel bigger or smaller. I have a Dorko 5/8 that feels smaller than my other 5/8 blades.

Thank you for the input. I am looking between a Dovo and Wacker at the moment I figured it would be more of a style preference so if figured I put it out there for the experienced folks on this page!!

I enjoy saving with both 5/8 & 6/8 razors and most likely also enjoy 7 and 8/8 sizes. The 6/8 holds more lather/strokes between cleaning. Any well hone razor will shave fantastic. You will never know until you try. My vintage 5/8 Bengall is one of my favorite razors...

Thank you for the input. I am looking between a Dovo and Wacker at the moment I figured it would be more of a style preference so if figured I put it out there for the experienced folks on this page!!

I think what's most helpful in the community is getting lots of data points with an understanding of what's behind them. Especially in an arena where there is a high level of subjectivity along with the objective stuff. So much experience around here to draw from.

I think what's most helpful in the community is getting lots of data points with an understanding of what's behind them. Especially in an arena where there is a high level of subjectivity along with the objective stuff. So much experience around here to draw from.

Definitely for sure. A lot of great advice and perspectives!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I’m partial to 4/8 but I like all of them. Only you will find out what size is your favorite. They all shave well. I haven’t found the lather holding thing a particular bother. I can shave half my face with a 4/8 without wiping it. I believe the 5/8 has historically been the largest seller.

I’m partial to 4/8 but I like all of them. Only you will find out what size is your favorite. They all shave well. I haven’t found the lather holding thing a particular bother. I can shave half my face with a 4/8 without wiping it. I believe the 5/8 has historically been the largest seller.

Wiping what??:ciappa:

5/8 6/8 is personal preference, but I found 6/8 easier to hold angles with when I was starting out. Easier to strop also.

+1

I have 5/8. 6/8, 7/8 blades. While 1/8" does not seem like much difference from one to the other, I find it more difficult adjusting the shaving angle with a 5/8. Thus, I recommend 6/8 for newcomers.

Although there are experienced shavers that prefer 5/8" or smaller, I think 6/8 and higher is preferred by most, at least that is what you see in most shaving videos. Some people like small blades as they tend to be more maneuverable, especially shaving under the nose, or if you are trimming a beard. But for general shaving, the larger blades tend to be preferred. Small blades also load up with lather quite quickly and need to be rinsed more often. That is a minor inconvenience, but it still disrupts the flow of the shave.

As for 6/8" Spanish points, I have a Ralf Aust that was once of my first straight razors. It is still one of my favorites. I know Maggards carries them, but they are currently out of stock. You might join the waitlist if you are interested. Ralf Aust razors are well made and competitively priced - that is why they sell out quickly.

+1

I have 5/8. 6/8, 7/8 blades. While 1/8" does not seem like much difference from one to the other, I find it more difficult adjusting the shaving angle with a 5/8. Thus, I recommend 6/8 for newcomers.

Although there are experienced shavers that prefer 5/8" or smaller, I think 6/8 and higher is preferred by most, at least that is what you see in most shaving videos. Some people like small blades as they tend to be more maneuverable, especially shaving under the nose, or if you are trimming a beard. But for general shaving, the larger blades tend to be preferred. Small blades also load up with lather quite quickly and need to be rinsed more often. That is a minor inconvenience, but it still disrupts the flow of the shave.

As for 6/8" Spanish points, I have a Ralf Aust that was once of my first straight razors. It is still one of my favorites. I know Maggards carries them, but they are currently out of stock. You might join the waitlist if you are interested. Ralf Aust razors are well made and competitively priced - that is why they sell out quickly.
Thanks!

I've got a 4/8, 5/8, and 6/8. The 4/8 is nice for the lip area and tight corners, but a little light for a full shave. My 5/8 Thiers Issard is a round point and a 6/8 Spanish point from Portland Razor. When I bought my Portland Razor, I waited about 8 weeks. Unfortunately, it looks like they've retired their classic and artisan lines because waits had become too long. But looking at their website, the new Cascade lines are all sold out, too. I've heard great things about Ralf Aust and would choose one of those if I were in the market for a new straight.

One thing to note about the size of new razors, is that what they measure is not the width of the blade (as we all do for used razors) but instead the hollowed part. The spine is not counted. At least the European brands like Dovo and Thiers Issard still adhere to that standard. Hence, a new 5/8 TI would have the same width as a vintage razor sold to you as a 6/8 on eBay.
For that same reason, the Vintage Filarmonica 14 are considered to be 8/8 even though the 14 stands for 14/16. The 1/8 difference is the top to the spine.

That said, as many mentioned before, small variations in size do not matter much.
Shaving with a 5/8 is not that different than with a 6/8. And shaving with a 6/8 does not feel much different than with a 7/8. Now a 5/8 does feel different to a 7/8

Top Bottom