What's new

34 years old and learning to shave

My journey toward a classic wet shave began many years ago, I just didn't know it. Like many others, I've bought every latest and greatest cartridge shaver in the hopes of finding a shave that did not irritate my neck and cause massive bumps and redness. At the same time, I'm very picky and want to be very clean shaven and having stubble really bothers me. I've also gone through plenty of quality electric shavers, but I still can't find anything that gives a close shave without wrecking my skin.

I truly hate two things - Mowing the Lawn and Shaving.

But then I bought an old fashioned reel lawn mower when my gas powered mower broke. I figured that since I had a small lawn, I could get away with a manual lawn mower - how bad could it be. To my surprise, the darned thing works so good that it put my old lawn mower to shame and my lawn looks better than it ever had. As a bonus, my alergies didn't bother me like they did when I mowed with my gas mower and it's so quiet I can mow early in the morning or late when the sun starts going down. All of a sudden, I was actually enjoying mowing my lawn because it was kind of fun watching the grass get cut up in all the spinning blades. I so was impressed with the quality of cut using the 'old-fashioned' reel lawn mower, that I started thinking that maybe old technology was good and some of the advancements I've grown up with really aren't what they were cracked up to be. Maybe I should look into my second least favorite task - shaving.

So I started lurking here and on other websites and found all sorts of wonderful information. My first switch was from using cold shave gel (Edge - sensitive skin) to a cheap boars hair brush, a mug, and Williams Mug Soap. I put the mug, brush and soap in super hot water while I take a shower and make sure I scrub my face and neck well. After I get out of the shower, I dump the excess water and make a nice warm lather that I work into my face for a good 45 seconds. First of all - this feels and smells really nice - so it isn't really a chore, it is a relaxing face massage. I then would use my Norelco 1150x electric wet/dry razor to shave. It did a much better job than just using it with the shave gel or dry. I still got some decent irritation on my neck though.

After a few weeks of this set up, I decided that I wanted to go back to a blade and try with that and the traditional wet shave set-up. I pulled out my latest cartridge razor which is the Schick Hydro 5. The first shave with that tore up my neck. But I tried again and again and started shaving with lighter pressure and just kept re-lathering and shaving with three or four passes. I'm able to achieve a really close shave and my neck is starting to heal up nicely. I also got some Nivea after shave balm which is supposed to help reduce ingrown hairs and it sees to be helping as well.

I still feel like there is room for improvement though, so I ordered my Merkur Classic 1904 razor and Feather blades yesterday. I'm looking forward to them coming in so I can try a DE shave with the classic wet shave method. I'm sure there will be some experimentation when it comes to the blades, but I'm looking forward to it. After about 15 years of shaving the 'wrong' way, I'm determined to learn how to do it right.

As for equipment, I'm sure there are those who will say the Williams Mug Soap and Boars hair brush are inferior, but since I don't have a higher point of reference, they seem to work great for me. I get a really nice lather from the Williams and Boar brush, and I'm a cheapskate when it comes to buying things and the price point is right. Perhaps it takes a bit longer to get a good lather than a better shave soap and badger brush, but I know what to ask for my upcoming birthdays and Christmas.

Well, son, you "saw the light" 20 years younger than I did! Don't let the opinions of others deter you from using things that work for you. We're all different and different things work (and don't work) for different people. You can bet that a product wouldn't be available for sale if it wasn't someone's favorite! :thumbup:

Lawnmowers are another thing we have in common. When I was a kid in Southern California, I used a push lawnmower. When the family relocated to hot, humid Louisiana, there's no way. It's harder to use a power mower in South Louisiana than it is to use a manual mower in California.

You can't be too much of a cheapskate; you've purchase some of the more expensive blades there --going for the feathers. A damn fine choice, too! ;) Feathers are my preferred blade.

This was a refreshing read. I think you are spot-on with you assessment of old technology being as good, if not better, than a lot of the newfangled contraptions sometimes. I guess it comes down to personal choice --what works best for you. If the lawn is looking better and is more enjoyable to mow, and shaving loses it chore status and because a time of relaxing pleasure, well then I think you've hit on something worth pursuing.

Be sure to report back with the details of your shave with the 1904. Take it lightly with little pressure.
Best regards & Welcome to B&B

Welcome to B&B. You are in for a nice journey.

While you are waiting for your gear to arrive it would be a good idea to read this post. The information there will direct you to where you can get answers to most of your shaving questions. Plus, it’s always a good idea to read the wikis and stickies. And, don’t forget; if you have any questions just ask. :smile:

I read a ton of the stuff on this website before deciding on the the Merkur 1904 DE. I plan on reading just about everything as I move forward. That's just how I am. When I find something new, I just research it for weeks.

Thanks.

That was a really enjoyable introduction, I hope you find what you're looking for in traditional wetshaving.

The 1904 isn't a razor that you hear a lot about on here, but I'm sure it'll give fine shaves. Concerning being a cheapskate, there's nothing wrong with that, but you might consider trying out a more well regarded soap all the same, if only to add another aspect of enjoyment to your shave experience, that of a truly appealing scent. When you consider how many uses you get out of a soap, almost any soap is good value.

Well, at any rate, I hope you keep us up to date on your shaving progress!

I was 46 before I saw the light.
Enjoy it!

(for cheapskatiness and performance - use Arko. accept no substitutes)

linty1

My wallet cries.
Agreed on the manual mower, it's nice not going to mow your lawn and realize you have no gas and now you gotta get gas. Anyways welcome to B&B!

Welcome Aboard!! I really enjoyed reading your post. Your equipment sounds like it is working out for you, and that is all that matters. As time progresses you might try other soaps/creams and might be shocked that your shave will get even better. Also make sure that you get a nice blade sampler pack.

If you come across a SS buy it. It is a great razor for a beginner. Also it is all about the angle and presure and take your time.

Welcome to B&B! I was thinking about converting from my gas mower. This may have pushed me over the edge. How does is cut compared to a gas mower? Does the lawn take any additional time?

Welcome. Be careful with those feathers. They are extra sharp, but nothing to be afraid of. Just exercise caution when you first put it to your face. A few months ago when I started wet shaving, I thought that I would just get one soap/cream, aftershave balm, a DE, brush, and blades and just stick with those.... Boy was I wrong. It seems every time I get on West coast shaving now I'm just trying to see what products I can combine to be right at or a little over the $80 dollars so that I can get free shipping. Your AD will come soon too, but embrace it.

Welcome, sir, from one newbie to another. Take your time. Learn what you like. Have fun with it. The way I see it, my 15 minutes a day shaving right is a better start to the day than my wife's 60-90 minute bath to finish her day!

Same here, welcome! Things I've learned... Face prep is key, Feathers will cut through your whiskers like butter, follow up with witch hazel (thayers), then mosturize (depending on skin type).

I have been really happy with the Reel lawn mower. The mow takes an extra minute or two, but you don't have the prep time of adding fuel or checking the oil so it works out to be about the same. If you can do 2-3 passes around the border of your lawn and then back and forth for the rest, it is really nice and easy. I'm actually looking forward to going home and mowing the lawn later today (something I never looked forward to with the gas mower). I'll also be posting about my first DE shave in just a minute.

Top Bottom