What's new

2014 Badger & Blade Awards - Pilot Custom 823

The only thing I find worrying about the "award" items is that I'm hearing about new high quality things I didn't realize existed but somehow "need" now. This could be bad.

-Andy

luckly for me the thing that really grabbed my attention was the Salter Cream lol, ive had one of their creams in a cart at some point or another so many time and ended up grabbing something else instead, I now have to get one, but heck yeah its not that expensive lol

the brush on the other hand, my goodness ive been eyeballing one of them for so long, since joining in fact,... it may just have to get on a list purchase list

The clear is only offered from one Japanese pen seller as a SE for them, i forget the name but it has Quills in that name, i xan google it later, they also have a unique Vermilion (red) 845 no one else has

Is Pilot still producing the clear version, or does Tokyo pen shop just have a NOS type thing going on?

The only thing I find worrying about the "award" items is that I'm hearing about new high quality things I didn't realize existed but somehow "need" now. This could be bad.
Makes me glad that I don't use straights or strops or hones, and all my brushes are rescues from the flea markets that I've restored with new knots. Pens are bad enough...I don't need any more expensive hobbies. :tongue_sm

Is Pilot still producing the clear version, or does Tokyo pen shop just have a NOS type thing going on?

Its their exclusive version I believe, not sure how many more they will sell, but that and the red 845 were made for Quill as far as I know. but I would get it sooner rather then later as it can disappear at anytime.

went with the "B", timeframe didnt let me choose one of the special order ones, and I have lots of fines and EF nibs so I thought it would be nice to go with something different, and it so far was a good choice,

I wish I knew where to get Pilot nibs. I know that the nibs are friction-fit and, even with how relatively cheap the pens can be from Japanese sellers (in some cases, $100 less than stateside), I'd still like a few spare nibs on hand for my Custom Heritage 91 (which has a SFM nib), my Custom 74 (SF), and my 823 (currently M) without having to buy the complete pen.

If I had a Soft Medium and a Broad nib in the #5 size, and a Broad in the #15 size for the 823, I'd have my bases covered.

And it would be fun to have a SU nib, music nib, and a PO nib too. I know Pilot doesn't sell nibs loose, but I have to think there's a seller out there who would accommodate a request.

Last edited:
Taizo at Engeika offered to get me a couple, I know the FA nib on my 912 was almost 140 bucks though. there is Pisuke on ebay, he is pretty accommodating as well, and I would imagine the Quill shop would also do it for you since they already offer some odball nibs in pens that dont usually come stock with them for Pilot

If only in came in something other than a demonstrator.:mellow:

I haven't seen a black one in person, but it looks significantly less of a demonstrator than the others, especially when it's full of ink. But I do understand what you're saying.

From that point of view, there is no point bringing up a pen everyone already has, it offers nothing to the community, bringing up a pen we know to be good but not to many has helps bring in a new conversation to this area. that I believe is a great thing.

Then it should be called something like "best hidden secret", not "pen of the year". Not complaining, just all of these took me by surprise as well. And I'm wondering what happens in the years to come, as many of these as considered so far ahead of competition that in the future we're going to have the same winners ;) I'm of the same camp that these represent to the world what we believe and likely should have been asked.

Either way, it's fine tho.

Last edited:
I have a question about this pen as I have very little knowledge about fountain pens.

How would it compare to a Mont Blanc Meisterstuck?

The reason I ask is that many years ago I was gifted a Mont Blanc rollerball pen and ball point pen. I was thinking about adding a fountain pen to round out the set but th price of the Mont Blanc fountain pens is pretty steep. Of course the Pilot pen would not round out the set, but if it is a great pen for the price, I might just forego rounding out the set and just get a nice nib pen.

I have a question about this pen as I have very little knowledge about fountain pens.

How would it compare to a Mont Blanc Meisterstuck?

The reason I ask is that many years ago I was gifted a Mont Blanc rollerball pen and ball point pen. I was thinking about adding a fountain pen to round out the set but th price of the Mont Blanc fountain pens is pretty steep. Of course the Pilot pen would not round out the set, but if it is a great pen for the price, I might just forego rounding out the set and just get a nice nib pen.
Unless you are dead set on rounding out your set (which sounds to be a nice set at that) I am fairly positive that you will receive MUCH more pen for your dollar with the 823.

This is not to say the MB wouldn't be high quality; it would, but much of what you pay for the MB would be wrapped up in the name and perceived prestige that goes along with it.

FWIW, I have 2 MB pens. Both are high quality pens that I enjoy using, but I have other high quality pens that I enjoy just as much if not more, and those other pens cost me a fraction of the price.

However, if you are dead set on rounding out your set, you might as well purchase the MB and get it out of you system (and then move onto buying more pens when your budget allows:001_tt2:)

Unless you are dead set on rounding out your set (which sounds to be a nice set at that) I am fairly positive that you will receive MUCH more pen for your dollar with the 823.

This is not to say the MB wouldn't be high quality; it would, but much of what you pay for the MB would be wrapped up in the name and perceived prestige that goes along with it.

FWIW, I have 2 MB pens. Both are high quality pens that I enjoy using, but I have other high quality pens that I enjoy just as much if not more, and those other pens cost me a fraction of the price.

However, if you are dead set on rounding out your set, you might as well purchase the MB and get it out of you system (and then move onto buying more pens when your budget allows:001_tt2:)

Good advice. I just need to decide if having the MB set is important to justify the cost. Thanks for the feedback!

All I can say is that you get one hell of a pen for ~$233-$250 (or even $288 if you order it from the US) with the Custom 823. It's very well made. I don't own a Montblanc yet so I can't compare, but I will say that while I don't doubt that Montblanc makes wonderful pens, I have trouble justifying their price when new. Used is a different story...but is a MB 146 or 149 3x-4x better than an 823 considering what they go for new? I don't think so.

MB makes iconic pens. If you have a set that you'd like to complete, a nice used MB would be worth a shot IMO. But if you want pure bang-for-the-buck performance and quality, you can't go wrong with the 823.

Yup id see what you could find a used MB for, they do make nice pens, but if the money doesn't make sense for you, a brand new 823 with a nib suited to you is also a great option you would get a life time of use or of

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
All I can say is that you get one hell of a pen for ~$233-$250 (or even $288 if you order it from the US) with the Custom 823. It's very well made....

I own a couple Custom Heritage 92's, so I can agree on Pilot making a great pen!

I doubt I'll get a 823, though, as the "twist open the back to write" thing is a turn-off for me. Otherwise, though, it's great. (And that amber model looks dang stunning!!)

I own a couple Custom Heritage 92's, so I can agree on Pilot making a great pen!

I doubt I'll get a 823, though, as the "twist open the back to write" thing is a turn-off for me. Otherwise, though, it's great. (And that amber model looks dang stunning!!)
Yeah, that feature isn't for everyone, but you only need to unscrew the end if you plan to write a lot...like, more than an A4 page. And it's all because of the internal seal that keeps ink from spurting out due to pressure changes. But Brian Goulet has a video that shows you how to remove that seal if you have a TWSBI wrench, so you don't have to unscrew the back.

I don't have a TWSBI wrench. It doesn't bother me much anyway.

Top Bottom