What's new

2 or 3 pins?

What is the difference and why?
I've seen razors with 2 and 3 pins. I understand that with the third pin (kind of in the middle) that the shank of the blade sits on it when closed but why do this? If the scales are properly spaced there shouldn't be a need for this, or am I missing something?

Thanks for enlightening me on this. I get lots of questions in my mind driving for hours and hours all day, every day. Ha.

Most of the time they are there to cause troubles.

The worst warped scales I see usually are the ones with third pins.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
I also like the look of three pin scales. It is a extra manufacturing step that gives a classy look. That being said, scales that were warped the worst of me were three pin. When ever I break down a three pin razor, I cut and blind pin to eliminate the third pin while still having the look.

Im on the fence.about the look. Maybe if the washes had intricate scroling on them. Otherwise its just another pin and washer.

I don't mind the look, it's the additional care required when drying the razor that bothers me. I "floss" with tp after I shave. The third pin makes this a tight squeeze sometimes.

No sure why they used them, my thinking is it stopped one from pushing the blade down to far in the scales as the third pin rested in the tang and allowed the razor not to be closed any further.

I don't mind the look, it's the additional care required when drying the razor that bothers me. I "floss" with tp after I shave. The third pin makes this a tight squeeze sometimes.

Good point Larry. I do the same and i can see this making it a bit more trouble. Not a lot but some. I like the idea of the third pin keeping the blade from resting on scales to protect the edge of the scales. Well, guess like Arne says, preferance is what it boils down too.

Ive only seen pictures so heres a question, is there a colar or sleeve on the middle pin to keep the scales from squeezing in? Something to hold them tightly apart? Seems to me this would be nessesary on this middle pin.

Last edited:

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Ive only seen pictures so heres a question, is there a colar or sleeve on the middle pin to keep the scales from squeezing in? Something to hold them tightly apart? Seems to me this would be nessesary on this middle pin.

There is a sleeve appro. 0.065 id x .125 od cut to the length needed. Fits over the pin stock.

Even with measurements. More than i needed but i'll be sure the write it down. Never know when i might need that info. Thanks for answering the question and with the detail.

Im guessing washers too?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I liked them enough to drill my 7 day set with the third pin. Definitely takes the flex out the middle of then scales, but to what end I can't really say.

I like the idea of the third pin keeping the blade from resting on scales to protect the edge of the scales.
When I started using straights I had the same thoughts. Then someone posted that the tang does not normally contact the pin, and indeed on the few I've encountered, that was the case. I have the same complaints about them as Larry.

Tang dont contact the pin? Oh, now that puts another spin on it. I thought for sure it was for the tang to sit against. Live and learn. And ask questions even of you dont think its worth the effort to ask. Learn new stuff on this site all the time. Thanks!

I've had plenty of 3 pin razors with little to no warp. I've had way more more warped 2 pin scales.

I don't think the pins had anything to do with that story though.

I don't suppose anyone wil have the definitive answer as to the 'why' - could be looks, could be an attempt to support the scales under a heavy blade, or any number of other reasons.
I usually like the look, but it's not a deal maker or breaker.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I always see the 3rd pin on the higher quality razors. Maybe just a marketing gimmick that showed more work went into it, I don't know.

I have several razors with a third pin. I personally like the third pin. It seems to provide extra stability for the scales. It could just be a gimmic or marketing thing...I don't really know the rationale.

Top Bottom