What's new

1st straight shave

With the PIFed razor from Rick, I ventured forth and shaved today. Hurt like hell! No blood, but seemed I guess to be more pulling hair out than shaving it off. Actually did reduce stubble quite a bit, but did a final DE pass just to clean things up. I know I have to work on my angle, but I keep thinking I have a dull blade- even tho it came shave ready and I strop it religiously.( Can you dull a blade by stropping incorrectly?) I guess I should be happy for a first try as I didn't cut myself at all!

Congrats on your first straight shave. You can roll the edge in extreme cases of poor stropping, but there are plenty of other factors can affect the shave. Beard prep, lather, pressure, and the pattern of your beard growth.

But best of all you didn't donate any blood. Patience and persistence is the key. Good luck.

Jim

first couple shaves are likely gonna feel like the blade is very dull and then when you have technique down and it's getting better, the blade will probably require a refresh (not a rehoning). stropping can work wonders, make a sharp blade dull and revitalize a less than feeling sharp blade, if the edge is still there.

Last edited:
Congrats on your first straight shave. You can roll the edge in extreme cases of poor stropping, but there are plenty of other factors can affect the shave. Beard prep, lather, pressure, and the pattern of your beard growth.

But best of all you didn't donate any blood. Patience and persistence is the key. Good luck.

Jim

+1 to EvilZeg's comments.

“Shave ready” is a broad range, kinda like new DE blades. You can send it back for a refresh, but unless you're willing to shave your tongue with that blade, it's likely sharp enough to do the job.

My guess: “newbie dull blade syndrome”. very common. I had a bad case of it myself.

Be patient and persistent. It'll go away in the first 25 shaves or so. The cure is almost entirely technique. With a few weeks of practice, you’ll find that edge is sharper than you think. It’s all in the angle, and the subtleties of holding and moving the blade.

Hang in there. You’ve got some brilliant shaves and bragging rights on the horizon.

Thanks! I, too, feel that it is my newness to the whole thing. Today was my 2nd try- a little better. Seems that I had trouble starting the blade glide and still felt the pulling/ripping pain. Again, no blood and again I finished off with my DE as it seemed like I did not complete a DFS with the straight. I'll give it the month y'all suggest...

Lay the blade flat on your face when starting to reduce razor burn. You will experience pulling and resistance and it will feel like the blade is dull. Shave with blade flat until the blade no longer cuts any whiskers. Then, shave again, but with the blade very slighly elevated so as to "bite" into a few more whiskers. Continue to shave, elevating the blade slightly each time until you are shaving at about 30 degree angle.

You do all the above in the WTG direction.

If you do the above, your razor burn will be less, and I suspect the rest of your shave will be fine.

I have also found (some of Larry's sound advice) that if your having trouble with the first pass, do a pass with a DE first then another WTG with the straight. The first reduction pass with a straight can be tough when you're just learning.

Found this out on my own too. At first I thought the blade was dull, made the mistake of growing my beard out while awaiting my razor from Larry. Big mistake, but once I got it reduced it went as well as I thought it could considering it was my first shave. The second shave, nothing short of horrible, thought it was my stropping, the razor, anything but me. My third shave was great concentraing on the blade angle and technique. I did get myself a couple of times, but overall a great shave. Still awkward holding the razor, but hopefully that will come.

It will come faster for some and slower for other, but even with the rough first few shaves I'm really enjoying the straight over all!

Top Bottom