What's new

00 THÄTER Fanboy

Today is my birthday, and of course I must indulge in a special Birthday-Shave ..!

Reaching for one of my favourite brushes, I was reminded that I haven't seen any B&B fanclubs for THÄTER brushes, never mind one of my favourite badgers:
the THÄTER, 4125/00, badger silvertip 3-band, 22/49 mm knot, `standard round' (bulb).
I think this brush is very special because of the small knot (the smallest "00" in THÄTER terminology). I wouldn't want it any smaller, but because it is so small, I find it perfect for face-lathering.

So, here is the set-up for my Birthday shave .., and let me take this opportunity to also hereby inaugurate the
00 THÄTER club

BRUSH: THÄTER, 4125/00, badger silvertip 3-band, 22/49 mm knot, `standard round' (bulb)
SOAP: MWF
RAZOR: vintage OC Raadvad Mejeskaer
BLADE: Feather
A/S: Pitralon Classic
COMMENT: the Raadvad Mejeskaer is a Danish made vintage razor in production during the 1930s and 40s. My understanding is that it is quite rare, it's an excellent shaver. Of course, THÄTER brushes are no longer in production as I understand it, this becoming more of a colle
Bday_THATER.JPEG
ctor's item too.

I enjoy my Thäters very much, particularly the 3-band knots like the one you showed. My Thäters are among my most used brushes - probably there isn’t a brush I use more. I think it’s a combination of the soft tips, the balance the round bulb gives to the backbone and feel of the knot, and the overall quality and appearance. I think of the 4125 shape with the round bulb knot as the archetypal German brush, and Thäter did it best in my opinion.

It’s a sad thing that they closed down last year.

016B2481-98DC-45E2-9EED-934FD3269A0E.jpeg

I enjoy my Thäters very much, particularly the 3-band knots like the one you showed. My Thäters are among my most used brushes - probably there isn’t a brush I use more. I think it’s a combination of the soft tips, the balance the round bulb gives to the backbone and feel of the knot, and the overall quality and appearance. I think of the 4125 shape with the round bulb knot as the archetypal German brush, and Thäter did it best in my opinion.
Overall, day to day shaving, I use boar brushes most, saving my high-end badgers (and MWF) for a little more special occasions. But I agree, the Thäters are just oozing with "quality". Whether it's the bulb shape of the knot, the selection of hair, I don't know, but when I put that Thäter to my face, I am in shave-heaven ...
Octagonal handles is my favorite, and for Thäter, "4125" is my number. As I understand it, the Thäter 4125s are identical to the Shavemac 173 handles. I was hoping for one more Thäter 3-band brush before it was too late, but I can't afford it. Don't know where I found the money for the high end badgers I already have ... :badger:

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Overall, day to day shaving, I use boar brushes most, saving my high-end badgers (and MWF) for a little more special occasions. But I agree, the Thäters are just oozing with "quality". Whether it's the bulb shape of the knot, the selection of hair, I don't know, but when I put that Thäter to my face, I am in shave-heaven ...
Octagonal handles is my favorite, and for Thäter, "4125" is my number. As I understand it, the Thäter 4125s are identical to the Shavemac 173 handles. I was hoping for one more Thäter 3-band brush before it was too late, but I can't afford it. Don't know where I found the money for the high end badgers I already have ... :badger:
Shavemac used to make the handles for Thaeter and for others. Bernd's father started the company and produced only handles for other brush companies. Later Bernd began to make the complete brushes, but they still made the handles for others.
Got myself a few 4125's /0 and I think a /3.

Shavemac used to make the handles for Thaeter and for others. Bernd's father started the company and produced only handles for other brush companies. Later Bernd began to make the complete brushes, but they still made the handles for others.
This reminds me -- and I ask you because I know that you make brushes yourself ..:

I often drive by road-killed badgers by the side of the highway, thinking "what a waste", I should really learn how to turn those beautiful things into shaving brushes.
Do you have any experience taking a "dead badger" from the state of "road-kill" to that of a high end badger shaving brush..? Or, can you guide me to good sources of information on the topic..?
I have found it surprisingly difficult to get enlightened on the matter, so until now, I have left roadkill to the crows, while thinking there is loads of opportunity here for the savvy ...

This reminds me -- and I ask you because I know that you make brushes yourself ..:

I often drive by road-killed badgers by the side of the highway, thinking "what a waste", I should really learn how to turn those beautiful things into shaving brushes.
Do you have any experience taking a "dead badger" from the state of "road-kill" to that of a high end badger shaving brush..? Or, can you guide me to good sources of information on the topic..?
I have found it surprisingly difficult to get enlightened on the matter, so until now, I have left roadkill to the crows, while thinking there is loads of opportunity here for the savvy ...
You will find all the answers you need in this thread….

Rudy Vey

No experience at all here with road kill badgers. As far as I know all the brush companies buying their hair from a hair preparer (German word is Zubereiter) that sorts, cleans, sanitizes and packages the hair. Probably most badger hair comes from the far east.

It’s a sad thing that they closed down last year.

View attachment 1839387

I had this exact brush over 10 years ago but sold it on Craigslist along with my straight razors, etc. and Thater brushes have always been works of art. Kinda makes you wonder why they didn’t reopen shop now that the pandemic is over? People will still need brushes right? I’ll miss this brand along with Rooney brushes.

Rudy Vey

I had this exact brush over 10 years ago but sold it on Craigslist along with my straight razors, etc. and Thater brushes have always been works of art. Kinda makes you wonder why they didn’t reopen shop now that the pandemic is over? People will still need brushes right? I’ll miss this brand along with Rooney brushes.
In case you missed this, not only Thaeter closed shop, but also Vielong in Spain. Shavemac pretty much is now selling only over a few selected dealers in the US and Europe and have totally stopped their customized brush offerings by closing the Brush Configurator down end of February/March, and not selling over their own site anymore. It is in my opinion not the pandemic, might had some influence, but mainly by the fact that a lot of people now going the very cheap route and China products fill exactly this void. It is just a joke to see sometimes the posts on the diverse shaving fora that go like this: " where can I get a high end silvertip brush for less than $30".....unfortunately, this is a trend that even the small brush makers like myself see. People requesting a complete brush for less than I can get my supplies for, that does not work a long time.

Edit: And there are also a few makers here in the US that have stopped or planning on stop to make brushes, like Mozingo and Brett Sears

Top Bottom