Items by TimmyBoston

Glenkinchie 10 is the lowland representative of the Diageo's Classic Malts. It is a very pleasant malt, one of the easiest drinking that I have. 86 proof and 10 years old. Appearance: Very pale gold, delicate color. Very few, stout legs. Very thin. Nose: Sweet malt, honey, caramel, grassy notes, some acid after the grass, lime perhaps? Palate: Very light bodied. Very smooth. Sweet gentle entry. Round. Lots of grassy notes, mild herbal notes. Mild zest and spice. Grows...
Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 20 years old, extrodinarily refined and elegant. This 20 year old, 90.4 proof bourbon made at the now defunct Stitzel-Weller Distillery is one of the enjoyable on the market. The average price of a bottle is around $100, I've seen it as low as $80 up to over $120. Appearance - Deep, Rich Caramel Amber Color with strong tones of a shimmery red, gold. Long, thin legs. Excellent Clarity. Nose - Sweet, Rich and Satisfy. Dark brown sugar, molasses...
Old Rip Van Winkle 15 is no longer availabe and has been replaced by Pappy Van Winkle 15 year old Family Reserve. Van Winkle claims that these two bourbons are identical, I along with many others active in the bourbon community, disagree. This bourbon was created at the famed Stitzel Weller Distillery and was discontinued several years ago. When it's found the price often ranges from $50 to $75. This is the grown up sibling of the Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year, and the extra five years do...
Highland Park 12, according to Michael Jackson is "the greatest all-rounder in the world of malt whisky." I absolutely concur. Makes a wonderful after dinner malt or with dessert. Without a doubt one of my favorites Scotches I will never go without having at least one member of the Highland Park lineup in my liquor cabinet. A bottle runs around $40. Color: Deep Brownish Amber Nose: Honey and heather, faint puffs of smoke, tiny traces of sherry, malty sweetness. Mildly floral with...
Cragganmore 12, the Speyside member of Diageo's Classic Malt series, is readily available, famously aromatic and quite tasty; an excellent dram. Michael Jackson credit's the nose as "the most complex of any malt."A world renowned complexity and very reasonable price tag. Very gentle, both sweet and dry, malty and smoky, a beautiful study in contradictions. Color: Honey Nose: At a quick whiff, the nose is very sweet, but upon further inspection it dries down almost immediately...
TimmyBoston
2.00 star(s) 2 ratings
Views
Reviews
Laphroaig 10 year old Cask Strength, the Red Stripe, is the more recent of the Cask Strength offerings. 114.6 proof (57.3% abv), Isle of Islay, it's a smoky powerful, bold, brass and unapologetic. Color: Deep gold Nose: Bonfire smoke, sweet malt, slowly drying as aroma develops, faint iodine and sea spray, a kiss of salty oak. Palate: Very sweet, candied entry slowly warms for a second or two then an explosion of smoke, medicinal iodine, algae, barbeque, salt and pepper...
Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year old 107 proof is one of the most intense wheated whiskeys I have ever had, it's a powerhouse. Pound for pound the strongest in Van Winkle's lineup, but without the complexity, subtlety and poise of it's older siblings. More raw strength than Wild Turkey's Rare Breed, but without Rare Breed's complexity. This bourbon runs around $34. Nose: Hard caramel candy, toffee, spicy oak, caramelized nuts, dried molasses and dried summer fruits. Palate: Brown...
Black Maple Hill 16 is one of my favorite bourbons. It's tremendously rich and considering it's small batch, single barrel, 95 proof and 16 years old, very fairly priced at $62 a bottle. Simple elegant packaging with a rustic black label and black wax on the cap. Nose: Undeniably rich. Wood, earth, plantlife, some citrus and herbs, primarily mint. There are also traces of leather, oriental spices, honey, and molasses. Rustic, rugged and complex, the aroma takes me to a cabin in the...
Talisker is primarily known for their 10 year old and 25 year old malts. But the 18 is a forgotten gem. I looked for this one for over a year before I finally tracked down a bottle and I glad I did. Talisker hails from the Isle of Skye and was a favorite of Robert Louis Stevenson. The 18 yo is also used in Johnnie Walker Gold. The 18 year is 91.6 proof and runs from around $50-$55. Nose: Sea Spray, black pepper, lemons, fruit candy, nuts, oak driftwood and mild smoke...
Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Blend of Six, Eight and Twelve Year Old Batches, Bottled at Barrel Proof, 108.4 proof. Runs around $35. Nose: Oak, Dates, Mild Citrus, Leather. A walk on a path in rural Kentucky with an Orange Grove in the distance. Palate: A very intense whiskey, possible the most powerful in Wild Turkey's lineup, definately the strongest in it's weight class. Oranges, Toffee, sweet nuts and dates, all combined on a layer of light maple syrup, mint and honey, followed...
This is a great little glass even if it does look a little funny. I've drank Scotch out of a variety of glassware and this is by far my favorite. I've used shot glasses, tumblers, wine glasses, cognac glasses, small snifters, large snifters, and wine glasses. This is what works best for Scotch, IMO. This glass is from the Riedel Vinum Collection, which are machine made crystal glassware, but still made with 24% lead crystal. A great glass and a big savings over hand crafted crystal...
Besides the unavailable White Horse Lagavulin 16, this is my favorite Islay. But this one is available, so I'll take it! The price is the lowest point of this whisky, it runs around $75 up to $85 in my area and 108.4 proof. But you are getting something special. The Quality is superb. It is a vatting of three different Ardbegs, one being around 8-10 years a second 10-12 years and third admittedly "much older" aged in Sherry casks. The "much older" age is not formally specified by I...
Laphroaig 10 year old Single Malt Scotch Whisky, 86 proof, is a very fine whisky with a great history. It's very well known for it's classic smoky Islay character complete with iodine and sea salt. Laphroaig is the most medicinal of the Single Malts. Legend has it, it was able to be sold during prohibition at pharmacies due to the strength of medicinal character. While often described as an acquired taste due to it's uniqueness and incredibly strength of flavor, many find they enjoy it...
This really is a good bourbon, it's actually one of my favorites of the Evan Williams line and a bottle can easily be found for $10, it is well worth it and more. This price cannot be beat, it is the least expensive bourbon I own and one I reach for quite often. This bottling is aged 10 years in new oak barrels and is 86 proof. In terms of value, this product is outstanding. It can hold it's own with bottles 3 times its price. The 1783 has a very rye heavy mashbill and all the...
TimmyBoston
0.73 star(s) 11 ratings
Views
Reviews
If you want to get into Single Malts, this is where to begin. Glenlivet 12 is quite possibly the best value in Single Malts. It's available everywhere from drug stores to Sam's Club to the finest liquor stores. It runs between $25 and $35 depending on your region. It mixes well, goes great on the rocks and is always enjoyable neat, my favorite way. The quality is definately high, while not the highest, it is very good and from bottling to bottling they have put out a consistently...
This is the review for the American release of Wild Turkey Tribute, aged 15 years and 101 proof, 5500 bottles created. The Price is definitely the low point of this product. It was $90 when first released, but now as it is very hard to find the price has risen over $100. But if you can find a bottle, I compare to the new B&B brush if can afford it, it will definitely be worth the cost and when it's gone, it's gone. The Quality is impeccable. I have been fortunate enough to taste...
Il Bambino a great little brush and possibly the best brush dollar for dollar out there. At $75 you can't afford not to have this little Silvertip. Ron our resident Lathermeister has posted an amazing thread were he broke down this brush. Here's a link to his thread. I would also like to thank Ron for the pictures I'll post in this review, I borrowed them, Thank you Ron. Your knowledge and expertise is always appreciated. :thumbup: Price - $75 for a quality Silvertip brush. I...
TimmyBoston
1.00 star(s) 5 ratings
Views
Reviews
This is my personal favorite of my brushes. It's a great product at a great price. The knot's a great size and it's a wonderful combination of softness and stiffness. The knot size is fantastic, not too big, not too small, and with it's dense, soft lightbulb shape, it will work wonders with any soap or cream. An all-around fantastic brush. Price - This brush is a steal at $115 from QED. This brush is every bit as good as the Super Simpsons and IMO, even a better at a significant...
This review is for the 2 tone Super Badger bristles. Black Shafts with White tips. Not the same as the picture above. The two tones are much stiffer and work like a lather machine with soaps, but IMO aren't quite as nibble with creams. The brush is also a super scrubby little brush, for those who value stiffness, density and that scrubby feeling look no further. The price is definately the low point for this brush. $175 for such a small brush is a lot of money, but the knot is well...
TimmyBoston
0.46 star(s) 26 ratings
Views
Reviews
L'Occitane CADE Aftershave Balm, is a great little aftershave. The scent is fantastic and similar to the splash, but IMO is a little more woodsy and the juniper is stronger, but not overpowering. The moisturizing capabilities are up there with moderately priced moisturizers, so this one is great in the winter time, but may be a little too heavy for dog day summer use or those with oily skin. I have dry, sensitive skin myself so it's fantastic. It also makes a great accompaniment to their...
Top Bottom