Items by MikeLip

This is my first all 10s review I think. And on a cheap boar brush too! I didn't even give my Shavemac all 10s. And it cost 10 time what this one did. Why on earth would a $12 boar brush earn all 10s? Lets find out. The Omega is a tall brush. 121mm tall. The loft is impressive at 64mm and the know is 27mm diameter. The brush looks smaller in diameter than a badger since the bloom is much, much less. However the height of the bristles makes getting into a mug much easier, and the...
I really wanted to try a synthetic, but did not want to be disappointed. I have a really nice Shavemac which has totally spoiled me, and a nice Omega boar, which has ALSO spoiled me. They are very different but very comfortable brushes, and if you don't think boar can be comfortable, you aren't using a good boar brush! I am an experimenter though, so I read all the reviews and bought this bad boy. The ad copy calls it top of the line, luxurious, and all the marketing speak that will...
MikeLip
0.71 star(s) 7 ratings
Views
Reviews
I know what you're thinking; "Why would anyone review a razor Gillette barely acknowledges exists anymore, and a cartridge razor at that? On THIS board?" Well, the short answer is because it's a damn good razor. I am one of those guys who went from DE back in the 70s, down the road to all the latest multiblade razors and then back to DE. Hell, I have a straight sitting there waiting for me to get time to learn it. So why do I even own this thing? It's a travesty. A blight on B&B...
I am always interested in a new cream, and when that cream is available in lime I am twice as interested. And when it's as reasonably priced as this stuff AND produced by an old B&B hand, well, I'm all over it. The easy way to do this is to follow along the ratings and explain each. I wish this was all perfect 10s, but it's not. It's veryu good, but there is room for improvement in a couple areas. Price - what can you say? $7.50 plus very reasonable postage gets you 4oz of cream...
John over at Shaving Essentials sort of talked me into this stuff and it sat for a long time before I tried it. That was a mistake. Turns out I was missing out on one of the best shaves ever! He says there is a menthol scent, but I don't get that. What scent there is is very subdued and mild. Inoffensive is an overused term, but one that applies here. The scent is mild and green I guess you could say. There seems to be no noticeable scent added to it. What I DO get is a very very...
Think Mediterranean Citrus, but in lime! This is a new aftershave splash from Sue which I was privileged enough to be allowed to be be a guinea pig for. The scent is a nice pure lime that sticks around. My nose also picks up a somewhat sweet, floral scent. Sue says it's pure lime, so I don't know where that is coming from. The alcohol burn is nearly non-existent, and man does this stuff feel good on the face. Don't go nuts on it. Like Med Citrus, a little goes a long way. The price...
I saw West Coast Shaving had this on sale for $7, so when I bought some aftershave from them I stuck this in the order just for curiosities sake. I am glad I did. The price is a lot higher than your typical Gillette or Barbasol foams. However the quality is there to match the price, so I guess I can't complain too much. The foam is thick and dense. The dispenser nozzle is not a tube, but rater a horizontal fan shaped affair that helps spread the foam over your hands without waste. A...
I still have not found that perfect lime aftershave. But I keep running into really good ones! There are as many takes on lime as there are makers. Castle Forbes for instance, and Wesley and Scott goes for the pure lime scent that we are all so familiar with. Frankly that is my preferred lime. But those aren't splashes. Then there are the spiced limes and west indian limes, which seem to be a more bitter scent. There are limes like my current favorite lime splash, Trumpers, which is...
MikeLip
0.43 star(s) 7 ratings
Views
Reviews
Yes, this is the stuff that caused the (minor) set-to here at B&B. Curious about it I obtained some and gave it a fair shake following the very specific instructions that come with it. The razor was a Cobra Classic with a Feather Professional blade. The blade has a few miles on it (shave #8 or so), but still works and gives a BBS, comfortable shave with a good cream like Speick or a soap like MWF, Harris or similar. I gave it good marks on price. Hey, it's $7 for 8oz. That is a very good...
I have been talking a little with John over at Shaving Essentials and I mentioned he should make his new W&S shave cream in lime. He told me he was giving it a shot and that if I wanted I could go ahead and buy a pot of it. Given that I am addicted to all things lime, I jumped at the chance. You will note that as of this writing (3/28/09) it is not on his page. The cream is quite affordable. $11 gets you a 3oz pot which ought to last you quite a while. The cream is very soft, so...
MikeLip
1.40 star(s) 10 ratings
Views
Reviews
I'm not feeling real creative, so I will just cover the cream point by point. Sorry! :biggrin: Price; I bought this from The Shave Den. At $8 for 70mL, it's considerably more expensive than Speick. People sometimes slam Speick cream for it's high price per unit volume, but not this stuff. I guess it just doesn't have the exposure Speick does. I think it's much too expensive. I tried pricing it other places like Desistores, but it's still steep for what you get. Especially when you...
I have not been able to find many scents that I like, and I am no connoisseur. Sharp florals put me off - the right (wrong) ones will pretty much put a spike through my head. Quercus is marketed as a mans fragrance, but I can see it working well for a woman too. There is not much complexity to my nose - what it opens with seems to be pretty much what you get. There is a little citrus at the opening, but it disappears almost immediately leaving you with the floral heart. The base notes...
This is a spotty review since it is based on a sample sent me by Beauty Habit. It came in a 2mL atomizer, so I cannot comment on Diptyques packaging or delivery. I sprayed a bit on a piece of blotting paper and wow! This smells awesomely good. Opening with citrus note is always a good thing for me. So I applied some to my wrist and let it settle. Again it started out great! This might be a keeper despite its rather high price of $150. Of course that is for 200ml, so it's not as...
Well, I bought the Institut Karite soap and instantly fell in love with it. Fantastic clean scent, and it did an awesome job on the whiskers. Nice glide and cushion. It left my face feeling good and rinsed away clean. The cream has to be more of the same, right? I found it otherwise. The scent is there - wow! Smells really good. A powdery clean aroma that makes me want to shave. I started in with it and instantly was disappointed. No matter what I did, I did not get a lather...
Since I am a rabid fan of Castle Forbes shave creams, I just KNEW I'd love their cologne. In particular I knew I'd love Keig. It is supposed to have a citrusy scent. And I loooooove citrus. So, CF+Citrus=Heaven, right? I got a sample of this stuff from Vintage Blades (along with some Floris Limes as part of a regular order - Vintage Blades is fantastic). It came in a small glass bottle, so I cannot comment on the bottle or atomizer since, umm, I didn't get one! :biggrin: But the...
I was looking for a nice lime scent and happened across Floris. With that nameI couldn't go wrong, right? I didn't. First off, if you are expecting a long lasting scent, this isn't it. Citrus just plain doesn't last, and EdTs don't last either. Put them together and you have a scent that, umm, doesn't last! :biggrin: But here is the beauty of this scent. First off it's a nice, light lime scent. Very clean and pure. I love it. Its not overpowering in any way. If it's...
MikeLip
0.50 star(s) 8 ratings
Views
Reviews
With all the Speickaholics on this forum, I am in shock that this hasn't been reviewed yet. I will correct that here! If you like Speick, you will like this cologne. It is a fair match for the shave cream and aftershave, which means it is a nice clean scent. I suffer from migraines, and many scents will give me one. Not this one! The scent is not heavy or overpowering, and it seems like you can use as much as you want without killing all the plant life in the area. Or offending your...
I have been using Mama Near lime aftershave balm for a while now - not necessarily as an aftershave all the time either! This stuff works wonders if you just want a nice balm with huge, great, wonderful lime aroma! It does separate (and looks kinda gross when it does), so shake before using. It also seems to moisturize my hands nicely! I zilched it on cooling, since it just doesn't. But it doesn't have to, either. it works great without menthol or alcohol. While it won't replace...
MikeLip
0.82 star(s) 39 ratings
Views
Reviews
I just picked up 50 of these guys from our own Dridiot over on the shopping forum and I must say they might just replace my red pack Personnas as my blade of choice. They are sharper than the Personnas - very close to Feathers. And they are very smooth. Even my chin is BBS with very little effort needed. They aren't as cheap as the red packs - they cost approximated twice as much. They also don't seem to last as long - I can get 3 comfortable shaves out of one, rather than the 5-6 out...
I have tried a couple badger brushes and find them too wimpy. I keep coming back to boar. This boar is darn near a badger in terms of softness, but retains some of the firmness that boars are known for without any scratchiness whatsoever. The only issue I have with it is that it is too short. I prefer my old Burma Shave boar since it has longer bristles and handle. But this brush is a great cream brush, and works well on soaps too. It's is very comfortable to use. If you want what is...
Top Bottom