What's new

A journal of a Cajun's life wet shaving

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Moving from the 15% relative humidity of Montana to the high humidity of Pennsylvania traumatic. I was doing carpentry work back then, just learning the trade. At the end of the work day, I would be soaking wet. You sweat in Montana too, of course, but it evaporates off and you are dry when you knock off for the day.

In PA, I’d have to bring my leather carpenter pouch belt into the AC so it could dry out. If I didn’t, it would stay soaked and feel very heavy.

We moved East in 1976. I should be used to the humidity but I’m not, not really. We do notice, when we visit family out West, we need Chapstick for our lips and tons of moisturizer for our skins.

And there is nothing like high humidity cold. I’ve worked outside in subzero temperatures out West and been fine. In PA, I could never get warm if we were working in temperatures in the 20s.

And there is nothing like high humidity cold. I’ve worked outside in subzero temperatures out West and been fine. In PA, I could never get warm if we were working in temperatures in the 20s
Definitely. Mid-20s with higher relative humidity is just bone chilling. 30s even. Once it gets down into the teens and colder it's much easier for me to stay warm, even if it's windy.

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
Tell me about it. Today we had about 3° Celsius with 70% humidity. Just right out cold. We have a saying “April does its will” to express that the weather can go every way in April.
I find something like -10C and dry sooooo much warmer than 3 and humid.

April does it's will near the Rockies too, snow or shirtless and sandals? No way to know.

Down here, if you don't like the weather, wait an hour.
32f60b6a9da6de5387dda5ebbed14f30.png

300+ Shaves in 2024 105 of 300+
Vintage April 2024 19/30
Shave Date 4/23/2024
Razor:
1950's Rocket 500 HD
Blade: Nacet (5)
Pre-Shave: Razor Emporium Pre-Shave soap
Soap: Rex 1966
Brush: Semogue 2000 Boar
Post-shave: Alum Bock, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Mother Bear Winter Balm, Nivea Post Shave Balm, Rex 1966 A/S.
Rating: 28/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 8 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+++ neck.

Notes:

I was corn'fused about the number of shaves I have on the Nacet, today is the 5th shave and it was superb. It could have easily been the second or third. This is a great blade, I'll slot it right behind the GSB along with the Lords. Pitty these are out of production now. For certain a stock-up is warranted now before they are all gone. This shave was very comfortable and efficient, just the normal 3 passes with only one touch-up on the left side. Just a bit of sea lion fur left on the neck, the dolphins are delighted with the smoothness of the face. I could easily go longer on this blade but I shalln't, I have more blades to audition for grail status. The Rex 1966 is another example of how my soaps get lost in the shuffle, I'm fairly certain I have not used this one since last year, due to no fault of its own. The scent of Rex 1966 is on the citrus end, a nice inoffensive scent that I could easily use when overpowering scents are not desirable, such as on days when I have Acolyte duties at church, or when I am around those sensitive to stronger scents.

With my bride visiting family, it has been a dog and cat pile on me in the bed at night, and I am a flipper throughout the night trying to get a comfortable position for my less-than-stellar back, good sleep has been a premium lately. I used to flip very violently and quickly, and my wife said one night the oldest cat was on me and she heard me flip and then a cat meow, not a normal meow, one of fear and distress, Roux(the Cat) came running to Lynn's side of the bed scared to death, my wife claims she lost one of her 9 lives that night haha. Ever since then, Roux won't stay on me long after she senses that I have fallen asleep, she knows her time is limited and retreats to the safety of my wife's side. Haha.

'Tis all for today, today would be a day to rack some miles up on the motorcycle, yet I am here at work. No complaints, I am blessed. I wish all a blessed day as well, and may all your shaves be the best.

IMG_3004.jpeg

I was connecting through DFW every month, my flight on the way down would leave DFW at ~4pm, with the afternoon thunderstorms underway and/or brewing it always felt like the last flight out of Saigon!
I had a wholesaler convention in Seattle once in the summer. Seattle was nice, we got off the plane and enjoyed the cooler temperatures for the stay. I remember stepping off the plane in Houston and immediately feeling the Humidity close in on my like a wet fist. I thought “Welcome freaking home.” At least we don’t have to shovel snow.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I drive 85MPH on the Florida Interstates (Posted 70MPH) and people pass me like I'm standing still. I used to keep it at 79MPH, but that's far too slow for the far left lane... too fast for the middle or right lanes... So far, so good.

I have cut down my in-town driving speeds as I see motorcycle officers patrolling the routes I often take delivering food.

If I’m going long distances, not on workdays. This weekend I used it frequently. With Harleys you couldn’t see the cruise control above 90. Germans have no problem allowing you to set the cruise in excess of 90. Haha.
Speed can be very exciting. In our area 40k over the posted speed has you charged with stunt driving immediately impounding your vehicle and a license suspension. Race tracks are the best place for speed. In the County I live in speed limits are from 40k to 80k. The OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) are zero tolerance for speeders. Ninety percent of my driving is on cruise usually set 5k over the limit, except school zones. I know where most of the speed traps are and cruise through with a smile. On our highways with 100k posted limits. They may let you go at 120k. Anything above your toast.

A typical tweet from the OPP. Considering the offences the lad is getting off pretty easy. He can get back on the road if he has enough money for the increased insurance. Usually an impaired driving offence rounds out to three to five grand if your lucky, by time you get through the courts and all.

1713899608838.png

Top Bottom