What's new

What's a good vintage axe?

I was watching a lumber jack show, and they were talking about how good the double bit axes from the 30's were.

Tell me what to buy.

Collins?
Plumb?
Swedish?

3.5 lbs?

4 lbs?

I have no clue, but I do know I need a better way to chop wood for this camping season.:wink:

For splitting logs you need a maul!

Wood burning furnace and wood stove at my parents place. I'd never again try to split logs with an axe unless absolutely necessary.

kelly made great double bit axes in the 30's, usually all steel, some were sharpened in the keen and stunt style meaning one side was sharper than the other; the keen side for clean chopping, and the stunt side for limbing and uses where the bit might strike the ground

I know it's not vintage, but...

This axe from Fiskars kick all kind of tail!

We camp a lot during the warmer months and this is my go to camp axe/splitter. Simply the best tool I have found that is highly portable and extremely useful.

This thing holds an edge like no other axe I have used, and if you buy their sharpener, it is very easy to keep the edge scary sharp.

Edit to add- if you have a Meijers down there, you may be able to pick it up at the store.

Last edited:
A double bit ax is a felling ax and is less useful for general camping than a good Hudson bay model.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Dang...I read the thread title and the OP's name and was all ready to suggest a '61 Telecaster. Oh well...carry on.
Me too ...
For splitting logs you need a maul!

Wood burning furnace and wood stove at my parents place. I'd never again try to split logs with an axe unless absolutely necessary.

I spent several decades splitting wood with axes and that was all well and good, and then finally got a maul.

:001_huh:

It's like going from a dull Quattro to a wicked-sharp vintage TI ... and I ain't never goin' back.

Flatlanders, sheesh:lol: Split wood with a maul, notch trees with an axe, then saw them down with a buck saw. Personally, I use a chain saw and a gas powered wood splitter. Ain't nothing romantic about working in the woods.

Doc.

Last edited:
A double bit ax is a felling ax and is less useful for general camping than a good Hudson bay model.

+1 Here. Many of the guys I pack and camp with carry a double bit. They keep one edge just for trail clearing and one for splitting firewood. I prefer the single blade Hudson Bay. I use it as much or more as a hammer as I do an axe. I carry a small file for touch ups if I need to. Any of the brands you mentioned are great quality tools. It will boil down to what feels good in your hands.

Yeah, me too. I was gonna suggest a 60's strat myself.

:lol::lol::lol:....So did I, well a 58' Strat anyway....

<sigh...> Oh, well.
proxy.php

proxy.php

I know it's not vintage, but...

This axe from Fiskars kick all kind of tail!

We camp a lot during the warmer months and this is my go to camp axe/splitter. Simply the best tool I have found that is highly portable and extremely useful.

This thing holds an edge like no other axe I have used, and if you buy their sharpener, it is very easy to keep the edge scary sharp.

Edit to add- if you have a Meijers down there, you may be able to pick it up at the store.

I have the Gerber(same as Fiskars) camp axe. Could nearly shave with it, and will fell a 6 inch Oak in about 3 minutes. (drunken shenanigans with my mom, she was tied to the tree to keep it from falling into the yard. Did not stop the tree even in the slightest:lol::lol: )

Top Bottom