What's new

What lurks beneath?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Dropped a favorite re-handled brush of mine, one with an Amack Sunrise knot.

It fell about four feet on a hard surface, hitting perfectly on one side. The glue broke and the knot popped out.

To my consternation, there was mint-green mold at the base!

full

Here's an unused spare knot at top (I like this knot so much, I bought three) so you can see the difference …

full

So. I've boiled the knot for a few minutes, and might treat it with something else before re-setting.

But this raises a thought. Are OTHER knots moldy at the bottom? Are yours?

And how can one know, short of the thing popping out?

I dry all my brushes just like everybody else- on a stand, handle up.

AA

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Dude. That's not mold. Your wife is messing with your mind. It's Crest toothpaste.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Dude. That's not mold. Your wife is messing with your mind. It's Crest toothpaste.

Whatever toofpaste we're using is white ... :a2:

Yes, it's a synthetic knot, one I really like. I've been using that particular one for 2-3 years.

There are lots of kinds of molds in the tropics, but I admit I've never seen mint green ... If it isn't mold ... Don't see what else it could be.

AA

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Me either. It's probably not harmful, and it is beautiful in color. Hopefully someone with more than my shortened summer microbiology class experience will chime in...

Green mold might be pennicillium. Just soak the brush in white vinegar for an hour or so. This will kill most molds.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yes. That. :001_huh:

It's now soaking in a Dixie cup of white vinegar ... Thing is, I never saw anything green until the knot popped out. Perhaps all brushes should get a regular vinegar soak ...

AA

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I think that no matter how much we clean out brushes there will always be something lurking beneath. Just my $0.02 worth. And I only give the spa treatment to second hand brushes. Never bother otherwise. Maybe I should take more care of my brushes even though my everyday brush is a $2 brush from a cheap shop.

Top Bottom