What's new

The "I won't need another aftershave for awhile" review thread

Recently, KJ [MENTION=29515]TheVez2[/MENTION] hosted an Aftershave Pass-Around Box. Needless to say I had to sign up. However, as the time drew near for me to participate, I had a lot going on in my life, and therefore, withdrew from the event. Shortly after the pass-around ended, I was contacted by KJ and asked if I wanted some samples from the box. I gave him my list and said thank you. When the package arrived, I knew something was amiss...the package was way to big to be just a few samples. I opened the package and my eyes where filled with amazement. This is what was sent...

$Box of Aftershaves.jpg

Not only did he send some aftershaves...he sent the remaining of the pass-around box and some of his favorites! Twenty-Nine aftershaves all in the box! As you can see...I won't need another aftershave for quite some time! KJ asked me if I would review some of them in the aftershave pass-around thread, but instead of just a few...I decided that I would review every single one of them!

Additionally, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that [MENTION=106317]clyde72[/MENTION] also sent me some samples. I have used one or two of these already, but I will review the rest. I may even throw in a review or two of an aftershave that I already have or acquire while I am doing this (not that I have much in the way of aftershaves right now...but I have some).

So here is the deal...Each day I shave, I will pick out an aftershave from what I was sent...or maybe one or two of mine. I will do my best to write a two part review on each one. Initial impressions when first applied and how it fared through-out the day. I reserve the right to skip a day here and there so that I can wear one of my favorite aftershaves for the events of that day without posting a review.

If you are interested in taking a gander of the reviews of the Aftershave Pass-Around Box...you can find that here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/495793-Aftershave-Pass-Box

I hope you all enjoy, I will be posting my first review in a few minutes. I hope you all enjoy!

$Master Bay Rum.jpg

The Shave: Gillette Post War Aristocrat
The Blade: Brand New Polsilver Super Iridium
The Soap: Mystic Water Bay Rum (Sample)
The Factors: Four pass shave (WtG, XtG, AtG, and another WtG)/Thayers Lavender Witch Hazel after the shave and before the aftershave

I really like the scent of Master Bay Rum. This seems to be the quintessential aroma of what a bay rum is supposed to smell like in my opinion. A generous splashing of this wonderful smelling post shave tonic gave me a nice sensation. A little burn, but not too much. You can definitely feel the glycerin in this, but it doesn't stay tacky on the skin long...it dries rather quickly. My initial impressions are that I like this a lot. But time will tell. Later today I will let you all know how it held up during the day and give you my final thoughts as well as my final rating. Talk to you all later!

Outstanding, as this couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

I'm looking forward to reading some reviews.

Awesome thread Don. Can't wait to hear what you think of them all!

Not only did he send some aftershaves...he sent the remaining of the pass-around box and some of his favorites!

And just to be clear, that wasn't everything from the pass box. Just the remaining bottles from the pass box, of the top scents you wanted to try. :wink2:

Awesome thread Don. Can't wait to hear what you think of them all!

And just to be clear, that wasn't everything from the pass box. Just the remaining bottles from the pass box, of the top scents you wanted to try. :wink2:
Thanks for clearing that up...I got over zealous in my description.

Sent from the Danger Phone

You gotta love the generosity here! And you deserve it with all you have been through lately.
Looking forward to your reviews!
Out of curiosity, what were your favorites before getting started, and what do you look for in an AS?

Thanks!

Awesome! Looking forward to your reviews!
Hope you like at least one of the samples I sent you. But then again if you don't that is way samples are great!

You gotta love the generosity here! And you deserve it with all you have been through lately.
Looking forward to your reviews!
Out of curiosity, what were your favorites before getting started, and what do you look for in an AS?

Thanks!

Interesting that you ask this. As far as what my favorites are before I really get into this...I might have to go through and take a look again. I'll try to do this tonight and give some initial impressions. I can say that I love warm or spicy scents. So things like Bay Rum and Sandalwood are definitely up my alley. Some of my favorite aftershaves that fit this bill currently are Fine American Blend, Fine Samtal Absolut, Bootlegger's Bay Rum. I also like things that are a bit musky and fruity too. So Fine L'Orange Noir is up there also (do you see a trend here?). I do have an outlier though. I really like Mickey Lee Soapworks The Kraken, and if I could find one that has some longevity, I really like lime scented aftershaves. I am not a huge fan of overly powdery smelling aftershaves, but I do like Old Spice...new or vintage.

What is important in an aftershave? To answer this question you have to know my face...HEY! QUIT STARING! I do not have oily skin, nor do I have dry skin. I guess it is somewhere in the middle. SO while a moisturizing factor is nice...it's not the end of the world if an aftershave does not have it. The burn? I think the burn that everyone talks about is over-rated. Sure, a brisk aftershave puts a little pep in your step, but that is really about it. I do like an aftershave that can do a little toning so as to kind of give you a smoothing effect on your skin. I know that scent is always going to be subjective, but scent strength is something I really look for. Example...Barbasol Pacific Rush is a great scent and feels awesome on my skin...but the scent lasts about 30 minutes at the most. Fine American Blend or Fine Absolut Santal will stay with me all day long. The wife even gets whiffs of it when I get home from work. So scent strength is really a plus for me. Sometimes I like menthol or like effects, but they are not deal breakers. In fact none of the listed qualities are really deal breakers. If I had to sum it up...I really look for an aftershave that has a positive interaction with me for that day.

Anyway...I hope this explains a little.

Last edited:
I splashed on the Master Bay Rum around 6:30 this morning. There was a tad bit of burn to this but really not much. It left my skin slightly tacky but dried up within minutes. I liked the scent a lot...like really...a lot. I stated previously this is pretty much what I expect a Bay Rum to smell like. The scent fades almost completely after a couple of hours, but all day long I caught whiffs of it on my hands. The moisturizing effects this aftershave have are really good...I am very impressed. The entire day I felt as if my face had been replenished of it's moisture content. Ten hours late it is finally gone, but the moisturizing effect in this is better than some really expensive aftershaves I have tried. What really made this aftershave stand out for me is how smooth my skin felt today. I touch my face a lot out of habit and every time I did, I noticed how smooth and soft my skin felt. Other than the scent strength, if there is a down side to Master Bay Rum aftershave, I do not feel a lot of toning of the skin. Something I am willing to look over since my face was very soft and smooth today. At about $10.00 for a 15 ounce bottle, I don't see how you can go wrong with this aftershave. Heck at that price...I might buy enough to fill a bath tub and bathe in it.

Final thoughts...

I really liked the scent, but wish it was stronger. It seemed to really nourish my skin. Very affordable at the low cost.

Am I likely to buy this? You bet your pants I will. On second thought, I don't want to bet your pants...keep those things on.

I'm definitely going to follow this thread. I'd love to hear, as you get through all of them, which ones are your favorites and why.

Excellent job, guys!! These are the things that help when life is really challenging!!
+1 on having a great time participating with the pass-around.

Question about Master Bay Rum...is there any clove as part of the spicy notes? (I'm one of those who really like a hint of clove as part of bay rum)

Excellent job, guys!! These are the things that help when life is really challenging!!
+1 on having a great time participating with the pass-around.

Question about Master Bay Rum...is there any clove as part of the spicy notes? (I'm one of those who really like a hint of clove as part of bay rum)

Yes there is a clove type aspect to it, but it's not as pronounced as others I have smelled.

Top Bottom