What's new

The Renaissance of hair pomades & the new Golden Age

Hi Domoon,

it's an easy mistake to make when adding a topper. You've got to make sure that the oriiginal base pomade does't get mixed with the topper, because then it weakens it and creates an entirely new concoction. The heavy becomes a medium once it's mixed with a lighte pomade. The topper pomade has to stay only on the surface of your hair by spreading it lightly to the surface and not mixing it all throughout your hair like you did when adding the initial application of heavy pomade. The benefit of using a topper is that gives your hair the look of having used a shiny light pomade, and it leaves your hair looking really clean like it was freshly washed. With a lot of the heavy pomades, they're matte looking without shine and they sometimes make your hair look greasy or even dirty. That;s why it's nice to add a topper of light pomade to give your hair a really nice finish. The heavy pomade is used to cement in the perfect style for your hair, and the light pomade finishes it with an incredible shine and with the freshly washed look. Above all, it's important to just barely add the light pomade to the surface of your hair; otherwise you end up with a mix of the two and your won't have the desired hold to keep your hair styled the way you want it.

Hi Domoon,

it's an easy mistake to make when adding a topper. You've got to make sure that the oriiginal base pomade does't get mixed with the topper, because then it weakens it and creates an entirely new concoction. The heavy becomes a medium once it's mixed with a lighte pomade. The topper pomade has to stay only on the surface of your hair by spreading it lightly to the surface and not mixing it all throughout your hair like you did when adding the initial application of heavy pomade. The benefit of using a topper is that gives your hair the look of having used a shiny light pomade, and it leaves your hair looking really clean like it was freshly washed. With a lot of the heavy pomades, they're matte looking without shine and they sometimes make your hair look greasy or even dirty. That;s why it's nice to add a topper of light pomade to give your hair a really nice finish. The heavy pomade is used to cement in the perfect style for your hair, and the light pomade finishes it with an incredible shine and with the freshly washed look. Above all, it's important to just barely add the light pomade to the surface of your hair; otherwise you end up with a mix of the two and your won't have the desired hold to keep your hair styled the way you want it.

David,

Thanks for all the advices. I have a question in mind about top coat. How will it evolve other the week? Will they not inevitably mix when you shower hence weakening the hold ?

Romain

Sent from Mars

Hi Roman,

the lighter pomades will wash out of your hair when you shower, leaving just the heavier stuff from Dax, Murray's or whatever you're using. You can then reapply heavy pomade. The light pomades all wash out easily.

With Dax, you almost don't even need to use a topper considering that it has a decent shine on it's own.

Dax Wave and Groom is my favorite locally available pomade.

David, have you tried Murray's Superior V? I hear it has a scent similar to Sweet Georgia Brown. I might try to snag some, but the fact that I can pick it up at Walgreens or Walmart for half the price deters me.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I have never, ever seen any Dax products on the shelf in my area. If I ever do, I'll get some. I don't care to order it and pay shipping. Surprising that so many people can find it though. All I can ever find is Murray's and Royal Crown Dressing.

I have never, ever seen any Dax products on the shelf in my area. If I ever do, I'll get some. I don't care to order it and pay shipping. Surprising that so many people can find it though. All I can ever find is Murray's and Royal Crown Dressing.

Dax wave and groom is everywhere in uk. I found it at boots, sainsbury and waitrose.

Sent from Mars

Hi Roman,

the lighter pomades will wash out of your hair when you shower, leaving just the heavier stuff from Dax, Murray's or whatever you're using. You can then reapply heavy pomade. The light pomades all wash out easily.

With Dax, you almost don't even need to use a topper considering that it has a decent shine on it's own.

Thanks, i think i ll keep it simple for the time being. I have some muray's superior and SGB blue on the way.

My wife told me she likes strong hold has the volume makes my hair look fuller. So i ll stick with them for now.

Sent from Mars

You can purchase Dax Wave and Groom at Ebay for $5 with free shipping anywhere in the U.S. That's where I buy my Dax. If you don't have an account, it's easy to register and you can save TONS of cash buying pomade there.

$vintage.jpg

Megabullfrog,

I use Murray's Vintage all the time. In fact, your post gave me the idea to use it today. I've got that excellent pomade in my hair. I really like the scent of Murray's Vintage. It's so retro. I mixed it with Murray's Exelento today with a 50-50 mix that I did in my palm. I put them all together and stirred them up and came with a beautiful medium hold mix with shine that I've never had before with any pomade. The hold is a light medium, but it's actually holding my hair down. I put in a decent amount of this mix in hair and it looks superb. Exelento is the shiniest pomade I've ever used before and it works for my hair color - blond. My hair reflects sun light or any light, so I've got to use high quality pomades like Murray's Exelento to get the shine that people with brown hair get. I have Murray's 50-50 Small Batch pomade, which is a 50-50 mix of Murray's Superior and Murray's Exelento, but it's not nearly as good as the mix that I created today with Murray's Vintage and Exelento. The scent is not great. I guess they use regular Murray's Superior rather than their Vintage stuff, and their mix must be off, because it doesn't have the shine that my mix has.

$dax.jpg

Thanks, i think i ll keep it simple for the time being. I have some muray's superior and SGB blue on the way.

My wife told me she likes strong hold has the volume makes my hair look fuller. So i ll stick with them for now.

Sent from Mars

Hey Roman,

Dax Wave and Groom is such an excellent pomade that it doesn't need to be mixed with anything for it to be perfect. I've mixing it lately because I want to get shine for my hair. Unfortunately, adding a topper to Dax or even to Murray's Superior messes up the hold and it can weigh your hair down. You won't get the volume if that happens. What you'll often get is your hair plastered your head. I don't usually mind that because I've been going for the 1920s look. But when I'm trying to get height on the front of my hair, I have to use just straight Dax without a topper. Anything else added to it will take away the volume unless it's something like Dax Green and Gold pomade. That's another pomade that is great for volume when added to the front of your hair. It might even be better than Dax in that department in adding volume as long as your don't cake your hair with the stuff.

View attachment 689562

Megabullfrog,

I use Murray's Vintage all the time. In fact, your post gave me the idea to use it today. I've got that excellent pomade in my hair. I really like the scent of Murray's Vintage. It's so retro. I mixed it with Murray's Exelento today with a 50-50 mix that I did in my palm. I put them all together and stirred them up and came with a beautiful medium hold mix with shine that I've never had before with any pomade. The hold is a light medium, but it's actually holding my hair down. I put in a decent amount of this mix in hair and it looks superb. Exelento is the shiniest pomade I've ever used before and it works for my hair color - blond. My hair reflects sun light or any light, so I've got to use high quality pomades like Murray's Exelento to get the shine that people with brown hair get. I have Murray's 50-50 Small Batch pomade, which is a 50-50 mix of Murray's Superior and Murray's Exelento, but it's not nearly as good as the mix that I created today with Murray's Vintage and Exelento. The scent is not great. I guess they use regular Murray's Superior rather than their Vintage stuff, and their mix must be off, because it doesn't have the shine that my mix has.
Well that settles it. I'm going to buy some Murray's Superior V... It's been around for almost 100 years. It must be good.

View attachment 689563

Hey Roman,

Dax Wave and Groom is such an excellent pomade that it doesn't need to be mixed with anything for it to be perfect. I've mixing it lately because I want to get shine for my hair. Unfortunately, adding a topper to Dax or even to Murray's Superior messes up the hold and it can weigh your hair down. You won't get the volume if that happens. What you'll often get is your hair plastered your head. I don't usually mind that because I've been going for the 1920s look. But when I'm trying to get height on the front of my hair, I have to use just straight Dax without a topper. Anything else added to it will take away the volume unless it's something like Dax Green and Gold pomade. That's another pomade that is great for volume when added to the front of your hair. It might even be better than Dax in that department in adding volume as long as your don't cake your hair with the stuff.

I am on my second day this week with DAX wave and groom. It s such a great product.
I have decided to use a pomade for a week to get a better feel of how they perform.

Today i went for a bushy loose style with a part that says "this is a jungle up there"
proxy.php

My hair are still slightly Damp but you can see how the strong hold helps adding volume.

Next week i ll try sweet georgia brown blue. The ingredient list seems to say it will perform like DAX.

Sent from Mars

I am on my second day this week with DAX wave and groom. It s such a great product.
I have decided to use a pomade for a week to get a better feel of how they perform.

Today i went for a bushy loose style with a part that says "this is a jungle up there"
proxy.php

My hair are still slightly Damp but you can see how the strong hold helps adding volume.

Next week i ll try sweet georgia brown blue. The ingredient list seems to say it will perform like DAX.

Sent from Mars

That looks sharp. I should grow my hair out.

proxy.php

Sent from Mars

Hi Roman.

your hair looks AMAZING with Dax Wave and Groom pomade in it. This is definitely the pomade for your hair type. Dax works well when you use a little of it. It makes it possible to get the more natural look that you have in this photo. I always end up putting a lot in to pin my hair down. But when I use just a little, I get can get the James Dean look from his last movie 'Giant.'

I think you're going to really like sweet Georgia Brown Blue pomade. It's kind of waxy, but the scent is GREAT! It might be better to use just a little of it at a time, because it is very, very hard to get into your hair. The application process with Sweet Georgia Brown Blue is long because of the high wax content. I rate this as heavier pomade than Murray's Superior with a better shine. I like it a lot. It's a little more expensive, but I get it as EBAY, and I buy a bunch at a time so that I don't need to bother re-purchasing often. It's free shipping at EBAY, so I save a ton of money. I recently bought Murray's Australian Beeswax pomade over there for cheaper than at Murray's website.

Well that settles it. I'm going to buy some Murray's Superior V... It's been around for almost 100 years. It must be good.

That sounds great. I really, really like Murrayt's Superior Vintage. I've gotten kind of addicted to it, because the scent lasts for hours and of course, it's got the great Murray's ingredients. With Murray's, you just have to get the right amount for your hair type. After using this pomade for ages, I know exactly how much to use for the look that I want. It comes out easily. Some people bellyache about how difficult it is to take out, but if you put some mineral oil in your hair before taking a shower, it all comes out. I put in two small handfuls of mineral oil all throughout my hair before I shower, and I get all of the Murray's out. Dax Wave and Groom comes out easily as well with the same stuff.

Hi Roman.

your hair looks AMAZING with Dax Wave and Groom pomade in it. This is definitely the pomade for your hair type. Dax works well when you use a little of it. It makes it possible to get the more natural look that you have in this photo. I always end up putting a lot in to pin my hair down. But when I use just a little, I get can get the James Dean look from his last movie 'Giant.'

I think you're going to really like sweet Georgia Brown Blue pomade. It's kind of waxy, but the scent is GREAT! It might be better to use just a little of it at a time, because it is very, very hard to get into your hair. The application process with Sweet Georgia Brown Blue is long because of the high wax content. I rate this as heavier pomade than Murray's Superior with a better shine. I like it a lot. It's a little more expensive, but I get it as EBAY, and I buy a bunch at a time so that I don't need to bother re-purchasing often. It's free shipping at EBAY, so I save a ton of money. I recently bought Murray's Australian Beeswax pomade over there for cheaper than at Murray's website.

Thank you sir. DAX wave and did work great for this hairstyle and also a more formal one.

It s a great product. I found Sweet georgia brown blue not super expensive considering it s a 4 oz tin cs 3 z. I got mine for 3.10 £ whereqs dax was 2.89.

They are all very affordable products.

What i do with the pomade is that i put the tin in very hot water for a few minutes which makes it easy to apply. Do u think it will ruin it ? I think the fragances maybe...

Sent from Mars

Top Bottom