What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

I bet! Not counting the Verte, which is the hardest of the bunch?

I would say the one in the middle then the one second from the left. The far left one seems very hard but almost chalky or waxy, I really had to do a lot to get it flat and stop it from wanting to chip.

I bid on it... but I've got a sneaking suspicion it'll turn out to be one of the large ones that aren't really razor-grade, so I didn't go anywhere near what it sold for. I was more interested in that yellow green Barbers Delight that went for $500, someone sniped me. :(

My little Coticule arrived today. I shall have a go with it later on.

$Coti Arrived.jpg

C.

Get yourself a slurry stone. You really need one to get the most the most from your stone. Right now it is like a car stuck in 4th gear. With a slurry stone it becomes a fully functioning automatic transmission.

Thanks for the (automotive) tip! I have a slurry stone (several in fact). The one I think to use with the Coticule is the same sort of colour, made by the Matsunaga Stone Co Ltd, Japan. The others are Welsh slate.

C.

Thanks for the (automotive) tip! I have a slurry stone (several in fact). The one I think to use with the Coticule is the same sort of colour, made by the Matsunaga Stone Co Ltd, Japan. The others are Welsh slate.

C.
Your welcome.
While those are slurry stones and better than none at all its really in your best interest to get one made of belgian coticule like the hone itself. The main abrasive in coticules are garnets and to get the most from your stone your slurry stone should contain them too. Without them the slurry will work much slower and be less effective.

For myself, I never use a slurry stone. Leveling my Coti wears it down fast enough. I learned to finish on my Coti. under running water till the blade starts to stick to the hone & that really works for me.
Dave Huffman

Well I had a go on the little Coticule; certainly it seems to cut judging by the sound.

I am not very impressed with the edge it provides (as viewed through a 40x loupe) and which is greatly improved by following up with my 12k purple Welsh slate stone and chromium oxide pasted canvas strop.

Perhaps the Coti is simply too small and/or my technique is no good. So right now the jury is out!

C.

It's a rare coticule that creates an edge that looks more regular at low magnifications than 0.5 paste can make. They just shave better.

As David may be suspecting, that stone looks like it could be something other than a coti... though at 1x5... really only a hindo seems feasible to me (not many yellow synths in that size). I suspect you've just got a really fast and not especially fine/easy to use coticule... since you talk about it sounding abrasive... but a hindo fits that description of abrasive sounding as well (its a sandstone). Cleaning it up and lapping it would help make ID's easier. It'd also serve you well to do anyway. Prying it out of the box would make ID'ing very easy, but doesn't serve any other purpose really.

Oh, and if you used your slurry stone on it... don't. Putting foreign particles onto a new stone you're just trying to learn is senselessly complicating things.

Last edited:
OK. Well the tomato test went much better after I used the purple Welsh stone. I have no arm hair left trying to learn how to hone.

I checked the Coticule - the seller said it was flat, and it very nearly was. I flattened it on my granite with 400 grit wet or dry paper.

Here's a side-on snap of the Coticule as requested. As a bonus I include what I think to be an early Cadman Bengall; I am very pleaased with this - I just like it - although I haven't yet been able to turn it into a shaver... It's hollow ground but only just - a wedge really I suppose. ANother rotten photo - sorry!

$Coti_Cadman.jpg

Edit: I should add regarding the sound, that I was very surprised: to the fingers the stone feels as smooth or even smoother than satin.
C.

Last edited:
I had another look and found that the stone lifted easily from its box.

More than half of it is blue-grey

!$Coti unboxed.jpg

Is it likely to be any good?

C.

OK well I thought as the blue side appears to be "virgin" I thought I'd give it a go, which I did - dry, followed up with a few strokes on the yellow side.. That old Cadman Bengall now appears to be a shaver! If not, well, it's bloody sharp now and that only took a few minutes.
I shall try it tomorrow morning.

Thanks for your contributions

C.

Top Bottom