What's new

Blade Wars: Feather vs. Gillette 7 O'clock Super Stainless (Russian Greens)

Shave 5

Blue=right side, silver=left side
face lathered with KMF/Arko superlather

Pass 1- Blue: nice pass. There was a little resistance - a little bit of a "prickly" feeling.
Silver: Very nice. Noticeably smoother than the blue razor.

Pass 2 - Both razors were very nice. Silver seems a little "lighter" - it seems to glide a little more easily.

Pass 3 - Blue: nice and smooth. Silver: Good, but had more resistance than the blue razor.

Finished with a cold-water rinse and a splash of Clubman, as I was out of Super Unleaded.

Another back and forth shave. At first the silver was providing a more comfortable shave, but the blue was smoother during the final pass. Both sides of my face are smoothly shaved; neither seems noticeably closer than the other. I'm feeling a little irritation on my neck, particularly on the right (blue) side.

I got in on that $23.00 deal on Amazon. They showed up today in fact. Feathers may only last 3 shaves, but they are 3 very nice shaves.

I got in on that $23.00 deal on Amazon. They showed up today in fact. Feathers may only last 3 shaves, but they are 3 very nice shaves.

I was aware that the price had fallen on a number of Russian blades, but that price on Feathers really surprised me. Good for you - I hope you enjoy them.

Shave 6

Glad to hear some of you guys are getting good deals on razor blades.

blue=right side, silver=left side (I forgot to switch sides.)
preshave - rubbed in Noxcema and a dab of glycerin
face lathered with Proraso green

pass 1 - blue: unpleasantly pully. When I think of how it zoomed over my face earlier - feeling like there was no blade in the razor - the degradation of this blade is significant.
silver: much smoother, cleaner cutting

pass 2 - blue: draggy
silver: much cleaner and smoother

pass 3 blue: smooth on neck, pully on cheeks (not awful - the third pass had less pull than the first two)
silver: small amount of even feeling resistance throughout

Followed with homemade menthol splash and Barbasol Pacific Rush balm. Both sides of my face have a good, clean shave. The silver blade seems sharper and smoother at this point.

Last edited:
Shave 7 - Time for me to man up and call one of these blades the winner.

For a change of pace, I used Cremo, a slick, brushless cream with a clean lemony scent. I haven't used it in years, but I had an unopened tube in my drawer. I enjoyed it very much. Mantic59 endorses this product, particularly when used in combination with a soap.

silver=right side, blue=left side

Pass 1 - silver: smooth, comfortable pass. Very slight even resistance throughout.
Blue: more resistance/pull than with the silver - not bad, but the drag made it slightly uncomfortable

Pass 2 - both razors provided a good pass - slightly more drag with the blue razor
-got another small nick from the blue, this time on the side of my mouth

Pass - 3 - Silver was a little smoother and cleaner.

Followed with some Thayers Lemon and Barbasol Pacific Rush balm

I enjoyed this blade war. I got some incredible shaves and had an interesting experience. The winner of the first shave, by the slightest margin, was the blue, as I could barely feel the blade (even though it cut me.) Silver won the second shave as it seemed smoother and blue gave me a couple of weepers. Blue's fantastic third pass gave it the victory in shave 3. Silver won shave 4, despite the fact that blue's second pass was better - sliver's third pass was superior and blue gave me a nick (that wasn't really its fault, but I hold grudges.) Blue gets a slight victory in shave 5, despite silver giving me a better 1st and second pass. Blue's third pass won the day. Shave 6 and 7 were clear victories for the silver.

Blue's best was better than silver's best. It gave me several passes that were so clean I could not tell there was a blade in the razor. But silver was sharp, consistently smooth, did not cut me once, and seems to be holding up better than the blue. This blade war goes to the SILVER RAZOR.

I haven't opened the razors yet. My guess is the silver is the Gillette Super Stainless. What do you think?

Last edited:
THE REVEAL

The winner of the blade war between Feather and Gillette 7 O'clock Super Stainless is...

The Russian Greens - Gillette 7 O'clock Super Stainless.

Great thread. I started using the 7 o'clock SS a few weeks ago and have been addicted ever since. I'm going in for my 10th shave on one blade here shortly.

A remarkably smooth blade that pairs up perfectly in my Merkur Progress.

- Lane

So, how close were they? Was the winner a tough call, or a hands down winner? I guess when you factor in the price difference it's a no brainer. :001_smile

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'm going to do one I've been dreading. GSBs vs Permasharp. The reason I'm dreading it is because I love both blades and don't want either to lose.

I'm rooting for the GSB team. Only because I don't think my wife will stay with me if I find ANOTHER blade to love.

So, how close were they? Was the winner a tough call, or a hands down winner? I guess when you factor in the price difference it's a no brainer. :001_smile

It was pretty close. Especially early on, the Feather gave me some great shaves. But it had a habit of cutting me and did not age as a gracefully as the Russian green. Cost wasn't a factor in my decision, as I didn't know which blade was in which razor, but I love it when the cheaper blade wins!

Top Bottom