What's new

Slants for Sensitive Neck Area?

Hello fellow shavers. I have a question for you "experts" out there. Came across an article when reading about slants and sensitive skin (mainly neck area) which stated that slants are good for sensitive skin. Due to the angle and cutting technique it makes for a nice smooth irritation free shave. I wanted to know from other people who get easily irritated in the neck area if they use slants and if this is actually true. I currently use a 33C and 34C, but wanted to venture out went different razors. Doing my research, I think the slant might be my next purchase.

Thanks in advance.

Article: http://sharpologist.com/2014/12/whats-slant-bar-razors.html

It depends. Or to say it another way, YMMV.

It's worth a try, but everyone is different.

Regardless, the slant is a worthy design, and everyone should have one. Let us know how it does for you.

Slants will help. Also have a look at SE razors such as Gem and Ever Ready. The PTFE coated version of Gem SE blade is the best blade ever. They work especially well for neck area for me. The only blade that I can use ATG on neck area without any issues.

People rarely bring up importance of properly preparing skin and hair before you pick up razor. Prepping is just as important to achieve irritation free neck shaves. Even the most "magical" razor will be useless with improper prep.

Last edited:
Slants will help. Also have a look at SE razors such as Gem and Ever Ready. The PTFE coated version of Gem SE blade is the best blade ever. They work especially well for neck area for me. The only blade that I can use ATG on neck area without any issues.

People rarely bring up importance of properly preparing skin and hair before you pick up razor. Prepping is just as important to achieve irritation free neck shaves. Even the most "magical" razor will be useless with improper prep.

I completely agree. I've been playing with different preps. Was using oil then went to a cream and didn't notice too much a difference. Used more product and water when lathering and used less product with more water when lathering. More is usually better as it provides more lather for a better cushion. Tried doing hot towel as well after showering and don't notice too much. I think for me (YMMV) it comes down to doing less passes. I was doing 3 passes on my neck and it wasn't a fan. I can do it on my face no problem, but neck didn't appreciate it. I now just do 2 passes on the neck and not ATG, but more of an angle ATG.

It depends. Or to say it another way, YMMV.

It's worth a try, but everyone is different.

Regardless, the slant is a worthy design, and everyone should have one. Let us know how it does for you.

Do you have a slant that you recommend? I've been looking at Merkur 37C.

?..I was doing 3 passes on my neck and it wasn't a fan...I now just do 2 passes on the neck and not ATG, but more of an angle ATG.
I agree. Especially if I'm using a Feather blade, then two passes on the neck and that's it. It's unnecessary for anything further, unless I want razor burn in the neck.

you really have to try by yourself. Some skins love slants, some don't.
I used to shave with a 34C and used to have some small irritations on my neck. Then I bought a Merkur 37C slant and they all disapeared !

I have the 37c and a Hoffritz, which are essentially clones of one another. I believe the theory behind slants is they are more efficient razors, thus reducing the need for additional passes, which is the primary culprit behind neck irritation.

However during the learning curve you definitely want to watch your angle and pressure. Some users swear by them and have posted they are some of the smoothest shavers they have.

Merkur 37c (and similar as Hoffritz, Pomco, Coles) is one of the best slants out there. ATT S1 is also very much recommended as a mild but tremendously effective razor.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will take a look at the ATT S1 and 37C and see where I go from there.

I love slants and have a 37c, Hoffritz, Razor Rock Prototype, ATT S1 and 2. They are all excellent but my favorite is the S1. I find that one works great on my neck. However, since it is relatively expensive you may want to consider the 37c.

I have a very sensitive neck, and very coarse beard, when coming in. As a daily shaver I found the Merkur 37c the best way to slice through my beard on my neck, but I shave 3 pass ATG. Lets put it this way, I kill a blade, one and done, but I strive for bbs every time, or my beard growing in on my neck becomes problemsome. I get no irritation whatsoever, I cant say that about some of my other razors. Hope this helps.

I'd thoroughly recommend the 37C - for me it delivers the smoothest shave of all my razors, but not necessarily the closest. So there may be a bit of a trade off between smoothness and closeness, but I'd certainly give it a go to see how you get on with it.

I'd thoroughly recommend the 37C - for me it delivers the smoothest shave of all my razors, but not necessarily the closest. So there may be a bit of a trade off between smoothness and closeness, but I'd certainly give it a go to see how you get on with it.

I agree, For me the 37c is the smoothest also.

I get red rash in a dot pattern on part of my neck almost no matter what I do. I tried a merkur slant - and it made no difference for me. But when i shave with a regular DE, I position the head approximately 15-20 degrees away from perpendicular to the stroke direction. I suspect this does the same thing as the slant, but I had read the slant head made the blade more rigid due to its twisted geometry --- and was hoping it would make a difference.

What makes the most difference for me is shaving with the grain, and then across the grain from both directions rather than shaving against the grain. Its also important to pull the skin slightly in the direction that makes the hairs stand up. On the trouble area of my neck this is particularily difficult because the hairs grow flat along the skin, and almost sideways rather than up and down. Shaving sideways downhill into the groove next to the trachea, then uphill to get out of the groove, then along the convex curve of the lower neck muscles ---- while maintaining the right blade angle and not denting the skin (applying pressure) when transitioning from uphill to downhill in a groove is very difficult. The fact that 30% of the neck hairs grow in some other direction makes good prep, proper angle, and no pressure very important.

So, what I learned was - no razor type (slant, aggressive, mild, open comb, heavy, light, combinations of the above) can correct for bad technique. At least in my case.

How does the ikon shavecraft 102 compare to these slants? I've been looking at getting just the 102 head.

The 37c, ATT', Fine slant are actual slants, ie the blade is twisted into a helical shape. The 102 is a diagonal,ie the blade is not twisted but the headgeometry makes that it sits diagonal on the grip. You get the same "slicing" action you get with slants, but not the added stiffness of the blade.
I've tried a number of diagonals, Mulcuto (that the 102 is based upon), the 102, Bonsa, and actually like them very much but have found that for me, these diagonals function best when they're very light and applied with absolutely zero pressure. So for me, the 102 is a bit too heavy, I like the (vintage) plastic models better.

Top Bottom