What's new

Nate's "Trust Your Edge" Straight Journal

How large is that stone? The tiger strips are ferocious!

Thank you John:001_smile

They are amazing looking my Friend and the feedback from this stone is beyond compare.

The Dimensions at the longest axis is 125mm and the widest axis is 95mm

$20160206_185719-1.jpg

$20160206_185755-1.jpg

Straight Shave # 115: "Can't Win Em All"

The Weapons Of Choice:

The Strop(S): 2 1/2" Tony Miller Heirloom Old No. 2. 40/80 Cotton/Leather/Leather after the Coticule Honing.
The Prep: 10 Minute Shower with some nice hot water running over the mug accompanied by massaging the whiskers.
The Pre: Pantine Pro-V Conditioner rubbed in to set while showering.
The Brush: Rubberset 400 W/27mm Silvertip
The Soap: TAOS NOS Sandalwood Tallow Formula.
The Razor: 5/8 ERN 32 Crown & Sword (1st Shave off the New Select 10 Coticule)
The Post: Pinaud V.I.B.R. with a good wipe clean and drying of the blade and gonna hit that new Coticule again and see if I can max that bad boy out, since it has been a long time since I have set the bevel on this ERN I may go ahead and do some work on the 1K if I need to, but before I go that far I want to try and do a full set to finish run on this new coticule:thumbup:.

This Evening's Thought's:

Ya Know, I think that no matter how long we shave with straight razors, or how really good we get at doing it. There are always gonna be those days when you get that "WHOOPS" Moment. Tonight was my night. I have not shed blood for a very long time it seems and tonight was once again my turn in the rotation for a small amount of vital fluid loss LMAO.

1st Pass: WTG, Great Pass and cleared the field pretty darned good for my first shot at this new Coticule. Could have been better and I will spend more time with the new addition to fully learn it's quirks.

2nd Pass: ATG/XTG Combo pass and was clearing things away nicely when on the upstroke on the left jawbone the blade jumped off the track and tagged me in the left earlobe LMAO Instant Crimson Lather Field, not too much but it was clear I got a pretty good depth to that miss hit.

Other than the missfire I got a pretty danged good shave actually. DFS Everywhere with a lot of BBS on the cheeks and neck area. Chin of course is the worst and it is about DFS- still. The best part is that there was no burn from the VIBR and no irritation save for that poor earlobe.

Wishing everyone a Terrific Night and a Great Day tomorrow :thumbup:

This Morning's Hardware/Software Selection:

View attachment 635476

Excellent! Glad to hear the honing with the new bout went well.

Getting bitten by a sharp blade hurts less [emoji6]

Excellent! Glad to hear the honing with the new bout went well.

Getting bitten by a sharp blade hurts less [emoji6]

Thank you Pete, that is very true too because the scary part is that I did not feel anything at all. The lather just turned red and started leaking off my earlobe, there was and still is zero pain at all. Just a surgically precise incision:thumbup: I still think I can get it smoother and more keen with this stone though because I only did like 50 water only laps under the tap after a light slurry of somewhere around 80 laps diluting it about every 10 laps until it was mostly water before I took it to the tap. Tomorrow I will do a heavy slurry down to water, medium slurry down to water and then a light slurry down to water and finish under the tap again and see how that does for Monday Morning's Shave:thumbup:

These stones seem to have their own personality from reading various posts, especially compared to synthetics, so I am sure it will take a couple of sessions to get familiar with it. It is very nice looking and a nice size!

Have a good night Nate!

These stones seem to have their own personality from reading various posts, especially compared to synthetics, so I am sure it will take a couple of sessions to get familiar with it. It is very nice looking and a nice size!

Have a good night Nate!

I agree my Friend, it took me 4 tries before I got my first Coticule dialed in. This one is slower by far according to TSS but also capable of maxing out to a far keener edge. I am sure if I just work at it I will get this one dialed in to max capacity and have some seriously Lunatic Sharp edges from it that have a superbly smooth feel as well. The cool thing about this first attempt is that I could not even tree top arm hair like normal with the edge after stropping yet it gave me a very close, very comfortable and irritation free shave. That doesn't make a lick of sense but it certainly doesn't bother me at all :thumbup:

Good night my Friend and rest well.:001_smile

Top Bottom