What's new

Fruit Cake

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Admit it....you're mailing out fruit cakes to family and friends for Christmas just like you always have. Have you ever received a thank you card?

....I like fruit cake.:blush:

$15-large-deluxe-fruitcake.jpg

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Who are you calling a fruit cake?

You can keep the jaw breakers and door stops but a moist fruit cake is very nice indeed

I've been told if the cake isn't soaking before all hallow's eve, it ain't proper Holiday Fruit Cake.
... must remember to start next October...

I make fruitcake most years although this year will be tough to fit in the schedule. It's Alton Brown's Free Range Fruitcake recipe (link below) and it's quite good, awesome really. The relatives are genuinely disappointed when I don't get it done. It also freezes very well; i have two mini loaves in the freezer from last year that we'll use up this year.

During high school I worked in a bakery. The fruitcake we made there was like all the fruitcakes that are made fun of.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/free-range-fruitcake-recipe.html

Hey Moe....show us your recipe.

I pretty much follow the recipe that I linked in my post. Modifications are using regular raisins if you can't get currants, rum on hand etc. also don't be afraid to use a little more ginger. Other than the ginger, all fruit should be dried fruit vs. candied fruit.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I pretty much follow the recipe that I linked in my post. Modifications are using regular raisins if you can't get currants, rum on hand etc. also don't be afraid to use a little more ginger. Other than the ginger, all fruit should be dried fruit vs. candied fruit.

Whoops, sorry Moe I missed that.

Heck I like the store bought fruitcakes just fine. My local Aldi currently has Stollen in stock and it is pretty good. I like American fruitcake better but the Stollen is nice.

I like fruitcake, also. Going to make my first this week. If I get motivated, I'll post some pics.

Also, ran across this on YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
Great Aunt Edie delivered a fruitcake year after year. We never had problems propping the doors open after that either.

I like a good one when I can get it, not too heavy on the candied fruit or too light on the rum.

German Stollen is good especially if you can find the rum version. I never understood the hate for fruitcake. I have fond memories of my grandmothers fruitcake around Christmas. Moist, dense, sweet and delicious. I imagine you could use it as a defensive weapon if required given its heft but I tend to like dense, moist cakes more that the light and fluffy ones anyhow. YMMV!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
German Stollen is good especially if you can find the rum version. I never understood the hate for fruitcake. I have fond memories of my grandmothers fruitcake around Christmas. Moist, dense, sweet and delicious. I imagine you could use it as a defensive weapon if required given its heft but I tend to like dense, moist cakes more that the light and fluffy ones anyhow. YMMV!

+1 I didn't grow up eating them. I tasted one as an ignorant adult and found that I was missing out on a very good deal.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I thought that this was a joke, since most people don't like fruitcake.

I like fruitcake.

As a fruit cake fan I'm pleased to declare some very good fruit cakes can be found on the high street nowadays.
There was a time home baked was the only way but not any more.

I like a good Christmas cake with icing and marzipan removed.

Our neighbor brought over a stollen as a gift. I had never had it before but yesterday I had a piece with a cup of coffee for breakfast and it was excellent. The rest of the family doesn't like it, so more for me! :thumbup1:

I love fruitcake. Just bought this one. I know there's probably better ones out there, but this is all I can find.
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450798056.763172.jpg

Last edited:
+1 Collin Street Bakery, we've sent them out to family and gotten them for ourselves. Very good company that makes a good fruitcake. +1 on the Stollen as well. Costco had boxes of them this year. We've gone through 3 in the last 6 weeks. My mother use to make a holiday rum cake. Basically a fruit cake with out the fuit in a butter rum soak.

Top Bottom