What's new

How many types of blade before you found your favourite?

Newbie here, still working my way through 10 Derbys, keeping everything consistent to learn a decent technique.

How many types of blades did you go through before you found the one you think is best or your favourite?

I tried perhaps a dozen different brands, but regularly used only a few (Polsilvers, Personnas, and Feathers) before finding my beloved Gillette Silver Blues. I have no plans to try any others; there's no need.

A couple dozen, and I have 3 or 4 that I'll always use. Still willing to try others, but don't have the need, at the moment.

The jury is still out, but I think it's going to wind up being 8 or 9. Feather was the eighth blade I tried, and I instantly thought it was my favorite. But then after settling on the ATT Kronos R1 as my daily razor, I tried Astra SP in it since some came with the razor ,and I think I might like those better than Feathers in that razor. I've been using the Astras the past week and a half, and tomorrow I'm going to try a Feather again and see if I can settle this once and for all.

Took me about 10-15 before I found the one for my EJ89 (Personna Reds).

Still trying with my new Wolfman. So far I have tried Derbys, Personna Reds, Astras, GSBs, SuperMax, Feather, Merkur, PolSilver, Nacets, Wilkinson Sword, Gillette Yellows and likely a few others. Still not there!

Part of the fun is the search for the perfect IMO!!

Totally agree with your comments - Ive tried about 15 types and have narrowed my favs down to about 5, having said that as my skills have improved I seem to get good shaves from most blades.

The fun is always in the chase!

A few years ago I had a notion that I didn't like the Yellow Gillettes. This was probably due to using only one razor for 18 months and consequently loosin grip of the technique. After returning to a rotation of a dozen or so vintages I have no problem using any of my six blades in any of my razors.

My personal favorite is the Shark SS. It starts with the buttery edge in my Aristocrats and I do 6 or 7 weeks of daily BBS shaves on one blade. :001_smile It took me a few years to find this out and maybe a dozen or so blades.

20, perhaps. It took me 8 months to go through a WCS sampler pack and a few other tucks.

I never found a favorite, but three stood way out as the best: Astra SP, Feather, and Gillette SB. I'll stick with these three forever, alternating between them.

Other than fragrances, there is nothing more YMMV than blade choice.

30 years in, and I still keep switching around a lot. That even includes different brands of Trac II and Atra cartridges (the old fashioned twin blade carts).

Still counting. I've had blades that I'll never use again (Derby), blades that are good but won't necessarily buy again (Crystals, IP Reds), and blades that I'll make sure to never be out of (7OC black, indian greens, GSB, PSi, Nacet). I seriously doubt I'll ever settle on just any one blade.

I tried Astra SP, Feathers (too soon!), Red Israeli Personas, Derbys, Personna Med, Personna Lab Blue, and Gillette 7 O'clock Black before coming back to Feathers for good.

I don't doubt that one day a better one will come along, but I probably gave a good go through a couple dozen before landing on Nacet. At this point, I'd be fine if it were the last blade I used.

Top Bottom