What's new

Helmet Recommendations

As some of you may know, I acquired my first road bike yesterday. Actually, it's my first bike in over 11 years. Back when I was a teenager, I, like most of you, was invincible. I considered my head to be primarily for others to gaze upon with admiration and affection.

Now, however, I realize I must protect this noggin, this vault of wisdom, knowledge, and father-isms. I must also set a good example for my 5 year old son. As such, as excited as he was to help me bring the bike in last night, I told him we couldn't ride together until I got a helmet. So I come to you fine gentlemen. You who are knowledgeable about such things, where do I start?

proxy.php

I know not to skimp on the cost, but I still need something affordable.

Primary use will be on neighborhood streets and the top of a well-paved levee (only bicycle and pedestrian traffic).

Cool-factor is not necessary. I'm completely comfortable with the dorky dad role.

Find the one that fits your head the best. I went looking for a $150 ish helmet but found that a $39 helmet was the most comfortable. It was a great decision. Any bike store should have a wide selection, they all fit a bit differently.

But what accounts for the major differences in the $39 and the $150 helmets? Are there quality guidelines that even the cheapest helmets must comply with?

All bike helmets must meet the same safety standards. A $35 dollar helmet will offer the same protection as a $150 helmet.

The major differences are weight, ventilation and looks. Guys that race tend to wear what the pros use, and God help you if you show up at the starting line with a $35 helmet.

Get the one that appeals to you, it should fit, and if you're ok with the way it looks you'll be more inclined to wear it.

Your setting an example for your son. Don't get the cheapest thing out there! :)

In all seriousness, fit is the real king here. If you live in a hot climate, you may want something with more ventilation to keep the vault of knowledge from over heating during your rides. Of course, if your vault already comes with an incredibly efficient heat sink like mine, you will want to remember to use some sun screen as well. :)

All bike helmets must meet the same safety standards. A $35 dollar helmet will offer the same protection as a $150 helmet.

The major differences are weight, ventilation and looks. Guys that race tend to wear what the pros use, and God help you if you show up at the starting line with a $35 helmet.

Get the one that appeals to you, it should fit, and if you're ok with the way it looks you'll be more inclined to wear it.
This.

They all meet the safety requirements so don't worry about that. You want vents, visor if that appeals to you (I like a visor), adjustments to tweak fit.

Like others have already said, you can't pick one online and must try it on. I ordered 6 helmets from MEC last year and none fit properly, all got returned.

If you do get into a crash and hit your helmet, replace it and throw the old one out. Don't think it's still OK because it looks OK because it's probably not.

Wear you helmet always, make your kids wear them. I even make the inlaws and my folks wear helmets if they want to take the kids out for a ride. Make sure you wear it property (as well as your children), not on the top of you head, two fingers above your eyebrows is a good rule of thumb.

$wrong-helmet.jpg

But what accounts for the major differences in the $39 and the $150 helmets? Are there quality guidelines that even the cheapest helmets must comply with?

Marketing, name brand has a lot to do with it but vents, micro adjustments, WEIGHT. What's the difference between a $150 brush and a $30 TGN brush or a $70 soap and a $3 stick of Palmolive or Arko?

Last edited:
Just got to a decent bike shop, and tell them you want a good comfortable helmet with good venting, but want to keep the price reasonable. A good shop will understand, and show you what is available. I have a $35 (clearance) Specialized road helmet. Cool, comfortable, and price was right. It has a clicky wheel in the back to adjust it, which is good because I wear a Halo do-rag to keep sweat out of my eyes, and UV off my scalp. I can put my helmet on THEN snug the fit down. Works great!

Bell, Giro, or any of the bike companies helmets will be good. They HAVE to meet safety standards, but do yourself a favor and spend a little to get a "nicer" one. $30-50 should be plenty. Cheap insurance! Don't get a department store cheapie...they are cheap. I stick with specialized myself, they work and I've never had any problems with them, and I can get replacement sweat pads if I need to!

Oh, and if you ride a lot, even if you don't crash, you should replace every 5-7 years or something...I forget now. I try to do that, again its cheap insurance!

Thank you for wanting to set a good example for your kid. That is how it should be! :)

Congrats on the new bicycle and for setting a good example to your family! There is very good information on proper bicycle helmet fit from the advocacy group Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute. I just read it and tuned up my helmet since I've been losing a bit of weight and my chin strap needed to come in. See http://www.bhsi.org/fit.htm

The higher end helmets usually encompass some sort of in-molded cage that keeps the helmet together in the event of a serious crash. And in the event of a crash, they have a crash replacement program that gets you a new helmet for 1/2 price.

I'd look at the Giro Reverb or the like if you are going to be beating around the hood.

This.

They all meet the safety requirements so don't worry about that. You want vents, visor if that appeals to you (I like a visor), adjustments to tweak fit.

Like others have already said, you can't pick one online and must try it on. I ordered 6 helmets from MEC last year and none fit properly, all got returned.

If you do get into a crash and hit your helmet, replace it and throw the old one out. Don't think it's still OK because it looks OK because it's probably not.

Wear you helmet always, make your kids wear them. I even make the inlaws and my folks wear helmets if they want to take the kids out for a ride. Make sure you wear it property (as well as your children), not on the top of you head, two fingers above your eyebrows is a good rule of thumb.

View attachment 586954

Marketing, name brand has a lot to do with it but vents, micro adjustments, WEIGHT. What's the difference between a $150 brush and a $30 TGN brush or a $70 soap and a $3 stick of Palmolive or Arko?

Good information, Bruce.

Like they said, there is no much point to spend so much in a helmet.. I wouldn't go for the really cheap ones or a brand no one has ever heard about. A significant cost of production is quality control, therefore a cheap helmet can meet all the standards but you can have a bigger chance to get a defective one.

It is very important that if you fall with it once, even if it just looks scratched, the internal structure might not absorb impacts like it should any more. Replacing it must not be an issue, and it would be for most if it's an expensive one.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I think I was watching MTV Cribs and they had some motocross star on there. Travis Pastrana I think. The only thing I remember from the episode is seeing a room filled with helmets. On the walls, on the floor on the desks. Like everywhere. And he said they were his helmets that he's crashed in. He crashed once in them and got a new helmet but saved the old ones.

Ever since then that's all I can remember about bike safety. Bang your head once, time for a new helmet.

Something to keep in mind if you DO buy a high priced, reputable brand name helmet....some have crash replacement programs where they will offer a discount on another of theirs if you qualify (time, receipt, registered etc)

Congrats on the bike! I use my bike for the same things you'll be using your for. I have a Bell helmet that I picked up for about $25-35 at Wal-Mart or Target. It's got a visor and little flashy lights in the back you can turn on if you find yourself riding at night. It's well ventilated and fits well.

Something to keep in mind if you DO buy a high priced, reputable brand name helmet....some have crash replacement programs where they will offer a discount on another of theirs if you qualify (time, receipt, registered etc)
Nice! Didn't know about that!

+1

I'd chime in but everyone saying the same thing. Buy one you like and that fits.

Do not get sucked into the belief that a $35 Bell helmet will not be safer than a $300 Giro. They both are to meet the same standards. Bicycle helmet standards have not changed in over two decades (despite the advances in materials and designs) and they're obligated to meet the same CPSC standards when sold in the USA.

You will, however, see a difference in the vents and, perhaps, mass in different helmets - consider where you live and under what conditions you ride.

One other item to consider, that I didn't see posted, is that mountain bike helmets (and some commuter helmets) will often protect lower on the back of the skull than most roadbike helmets and will be less peaked on the rear.

This is what I ended up getting. $40 at a local bike shop. I can honestly say it's the best helmet I've ever owned. :tongue_sm

$20150717_142051.jpg

Top Bottom