What's new

My next device will be an Apple

Made the purchase of the 13 in Apple Macbook Pro and I am so glad I did.

The old Acer is a Win7 machine and it will gag on an upgrade. It is about 8 yrs old, has gone through two hard drives, most of the components dont have drivers and it is very very slow. It has done its duty, but after the first hard drive went on it I was leaning toward Apple. After the second hard drive, I was convinced.

The killer for me was the hardware and software are all one company, so if and when it does do me dirt - the recovery s/b less painful

Welcome to the dark side! I've been a nerd/geek my whole life and have built my own PC's, repaired and upgraded computers for everyone and their mama (literally), and all of my gear is Apple. Of course, being a geek and all I still keep a Motorola Moto G Android handset and Dell Venue 8 Pro Windows 8 (not RT) tablet on the side just to keep up with those platforms, but Apple meets my needs sublimely as a daily driver.

As with everything else in this forum, YMMV. :001_cool:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Then, Apple can tell you how to use your device.

Ain't no way out with the majors, baby.

:a45:

Waiting for Turtle to show off pictures of old computer parts that are faster than what anyone else has....

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have lusted after two computers in my life- the Apple IIc and the first flat screen iMac (with the hemispherical base). I couldn't afford the IIc in high school, but when the 17" iMac became available in 2002 I was all over it. I haven't bought an Apple since. My father has been using Apple since the Macintosh, and he gets a new computer every year or so. So, I have been getting his "old" computers since. Since he wasn't visiting, I did pay shipping for my 24" iMac- $70. I have to deal with MS BS at work, and will not deal with instability at home. Should Apple ever stop making computers, I will go back to Linux, which is what I was using pre-Apple.

Then, Apple can tell you how to use your device.

Ain't no way out with the majors, baby.

:a45:

OSX doesn't lock its system down like iOS. True there is now an App Store, but you can install any software you want.

They are fairly specific about hardware, but then you don't see hundreds of posts about prices of hardware not working, or driver support for Apple computers either...

But seriously, don't buy apple. I don't want it to become equally on the radar for hackers as Windows is...

After years of frustrations with MS products, we were driven to a Mac mini in 2010. Never had a problem with it, and it is still in use. Added an iMac two years ago, and I'm using a Macbook to post this. Our years old iPad2 is also still in service. Pricey gear, but I'd say we're getting our money's worth out of them. Very satisfied with Apple products, phones and all. No regrets.

I made the switch from a Macbook (not the Pro, the white plastic laptop) to a PC about a month ago. No regrets so far. My iPad and iPhone still work great with Windows. I needed a new computer and just could not afford a new Macbook.

Happy, long-term iMac/MacBook Air user. Before I retired, I was trapped at work in MS-land. Ugh. Slow, buggy, overloaded junk programs. It is so nice to never ever have to use Word again.

My wife and I have iPhones and she also has an iPad. They all perform flawlessly for us which is why I started thinking about trying an Apple laptop to replace my aging Windows unit.

I said many times I was going to make the switch to Mac, and then every time it came down to it, I couldn't swallow the price difference. Two years ago, I finally did it, spent about 3x more on it than I could have gotten a windows machine for. Best money I ever spent. They just work. It doesn't take 5 mins to boot up, it never crashes or locks up and with all the iPads and iPhones in the house everything is working in harmony. A bit of a learning curve to get used to new commands/track pads, etc but not bad at all.

The shortcuts I depend on w/Windows is the biggest "unlearning" curve. I was lukewarm on the trackpad, being so ingrained with a mouse, but now I am convinced it is brilliant

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Don't over look the Mac Mini. I switched from a PC to a Mac in 2012. Bought the Mac Mini and it's still running great. Never had one issue with it. I want a new one but can't afford it just yet. I won't buy another computer unless it's a Mac.

I think the new Mac Mini starts at $499. Which isn't a bad price at all.

Top Bottom