What's new

Best Masculine Rose-scented Eau de Parfum

So, my other thread got me thinking. My one cologne can be used wearing anything from pajamas to a business suit, and, all points between. But, if I ever had reason to wear a tux (and I have before, so, I might, again) I'd want to dress up the scent as well.

I remember there was one that was all-the-rage back in the 80's. I can't quite put my finger on the name, though.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

For formal wear and romance my go to is Serge Luten's Rose de Nuit. It is not a fresh new rose scent but more of dark sensual vibe along with an earthy feel. Big bucks but it is special, definitely try a decant or sample first.

Taur L'Air du Desert Maroicain is another great masculine rose for formal wear. In addition to rose it has some spiciness and some ambergris which gives it some liveliness. It's not overly sweet like many roses and on the dry side.

The Different Company Rose Poivree is another winner in my book. Strong pepper is added to the rose and some civet, just enough to make it sexy without being fecal.

For formal wear and romance my go to is Serge Luten's Rose de Nuit. It is not a fresh new rose scent but more of dark sensual vibe along with an earthy feel. Big bucks but it is special, definitely try a decant or sample first.
No one does rose like Serge Lutens IMHO.

Consider C&S 88, which seems like a woody, talcum rose.
For something really spicy and oudy, get a sample of Penhaligons Vaara.

A nice, deep rose is Paestum by Eau di Italie (I hope the spelling is correct). For something woodier, Ungaro III is also nice.

I cannot think of a rose scent that was all the rage in the 1980s.

The rose scents that come to my mind as at least very good are: C&S 88, Floris 89, Montale Black Aoud.

Thanks everyone! I've got quite a list to try, now. I'm sure there'll be one I'm not allergic to, and will like, and be a match.

Last edited:
I don't know that it was the rage, and I don't remember what decade it was introduced in, but Domenico Caraceni 1913 is the finest rose-based frag I've come across. Out of production for a few years now and getting hard, and expensive, to find, but IMHO its in its own class. It is a niche classic. Not sure its the one you're thinking of, but if you get a chance at a bottle, jump.

Just received my TOBS Rose shaving cream in the mail today! Will give it a go some time this week.

Voleur de Roses by L`Artisan is a nice rose & patchouli combo.
Czech & Speake #88 is an Edwardian masterpiece.
In the 80's I purchased Iquitos which is a strong rose scent.

As Robbie first mentioned, 88 and Black Aoud are both wonderful. I only wonder if they may be a little overpowering...

Without any doubt the best rose scented masculine EdP is Al Rehab Saat Safa. Starts off with rather an overpowering Oud but then quickly settles down to musk, vetiver, amber and a rose top note. Not an Oriental though and personally I would keep it for Autumn. Looks cheap at around a fiver in United Kingdom but you only get 35ml.

My two favorite rose fragrances are no longer available. Creed Windsor is my all time favorite scent, and I regret that I am down to my last 10-15 ml. There is a chance that Creed will release it in limited quantities some day, and if so, get some if you can afford it. Domenico Caraceni 1913 is right up there, but out of production for several years. I used to wear it often, but am now limited to special occasions. Montale Black Aoud is my favorite that is still available, although it may be the most potent fragrance I've ever tried. I limit it to a single spray, which still lasts a full day. It may seem pricey, but a 50 ml bottle will last as long as 200 ml of most other fragrances. I'm also a fan of Amouage Tribute Attar, but it is quite expensive. Another to try is Frederic Malle's Portrait of a Lady, although the name may scare most men off.

Both Homage and Tribute by Amouage are excellent, rich and long lasting rose scents. Creed's Windsor as suggested by Mike is another much more laid back interpretation.

How could I have forgotten Creed Windsor, or, for that matter, DC 1913. Windsor is way up there among my very favorite scents, too.

I do not like DC 1913 quite as much as many folks around here do, but I think the fact that it is so well-liked ought to put it among the best rose scents, regardless of how I feel about it. I think I understand why folks like it so much and it is a very worthy scent.

I am not as big a fan of Amouage scents as some are either, but they are often loaded with otto rose, and there is nothing wrong with that.

I've watched this thread for a bit, but was reluctant to chime in because of the word "masculine." One of my top three fragrances, among 40+, is Midnight Oud by Julliette has a Gun. It's a magnificent rose/oud/saffron fragrance marketed to women, but marketing has never stopped me. (I also love Bandit, a women's perfume.) I A/B tested Montale Black Oud and Midnight Oud, and the latter was the clear winner to my nose.

Simply magnificent--check the reviews on google, which are much more descriptive than I could ever be. I believe when oud is introduced to rose, gender labels go out the window. Because I enjoy scents for myself, I don't think about whether others think I'm wearing a feminine or unisex fragrance. I'd love to hear anyone else's opinion, and I encourage you to give Midnight Oud a sniff or two.

By the way, my daily mainstays are power frags like Kouros, Yatagan and Quorum. As a beefy 59-year old guy with a wife and two adult children, I enjoy visiting the women's fragrance section of department stores--you never know what you'll find!

I'm going on a bit a a limb, but you might want to try Al Raz's Boheme shaving cream or ASB. They both have a very complex and sophsticated fragrance with rose right up front. Even the shave cream has significant staying power. I will shave with it in the morning and spend the day working in a warehouse at a chemical plant and I get wonderful whiffs all day and it's not overwhelming either.

Top Bottom