What's new

Motivation behind open carry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to set the stage, this is an honest question posed by someone with no knowledge of experience of the subject. Not trying to start any fights or ungentlemanly exchanges!

A recent thread touched briefly on open versus concealed carry and the different reasons everyone had for making their choice.

I'm curious to know what motivates someone to open carry in an urban/suburban environment. To my uneducated eyes it would seem to bring a lot of attention to you, in many cases to your possible detriment.

I believe the premise centers on it being a right to carry open on th theory that we have a right to bear arms...literally. personally, I'd rather the criminal element not know if I'm carrying, or where, but that's just me

I recently had a job interview in Cheyenne, Wyoming (about 2 hours north of where I live in Denver). I was driving around Downtown Cheyenne when I saw a guy in a black cowboy hat, white button down shirt, black pants, and boots walking down the street with a black folding stock AK-47 slung over his shoulder. I didn't see anyone running so I figured everything was OK.

During the job interview, I mentioned what I saw and the HR person said "Oh yeah, down by the Starbucks. He's there every day getting coffee". I said "Must be an open carry state" and everyone in the room said open carry and conceal carry.

My thoughts are if folks feel comfortable about it, then that's what they do. When in Rome...

I personally have no problem with it, although I admit that I am a little uncomfortable around people who do it. I'm more inclined to agree with Grumpy in that I don't want anyone to know that I'm carrying. I think open carrying makes you a target. If you're a bad guy, who would you take out first? Just my .02.

I only ever open carried when hunting. Obviously the rifle was open....as was the .40 cal sidearm that I carried along with it.

Really I have no issue with it, the police do it, but it is interesting the perception that folks have. Unfortunately I think some do it to get a "rise" out of others, and while it may be perfectly legal to open carry it can create a panic among others....which then you may find yourself in trouble for.

I think people do it for several reasons. The first being the 2nd amendment. Another is comfort. It's a lot more comfortable to open carry than it is to conceal carry, especially with a larger pistol. Also, down this way, most places do not require any form of permit to open carry. So basically you don't have to spend the $200 or so to take a course, and get finger printed, be on federal/state file, etc.

And in general it's easier to draw and holster something that's not wedged agains the body under clothing.

Last edited:
I think people do it so they can look cool. There are tons of youtube videos of people in California doing it to "display their constitutional rights " which leads to them filing themselves trying to be clever when cops stop and ask them why

Ill give you a couple reasons
1. You got a nice BBQ gun and you want to look your "Sunday best" in church.
2. Its cheaper than going through the whole Concealed carry class, paying the $80 and wasting your Saturday morning.
3. You want the ladies to think your law enforcement.
4. Its your mom and your holding it for her after her altercation at the bingo hall... at least until her bail sets.
5. You have a Concealed carry permit but your wife won't be seen with you with your fanny pack holster.
6. The extra belt helps hold your pants up and its less tacky than suspenders.
7. The gun draws attention away from your man boobs.
8. The holster lets you have two hands to enjoy your beer.
9. Your safe is full.
10. It tells the ladies at the craft store, that "Hey, I may be looking at fabric swatches with my wife for our new curtains, but I am still a man."

I recently had a job interview in Cheyenne, Wyoming (about 2 hours north of where I live in Denver). I was driving around Downtown Cheyenne when I saw a guy in a black cowboy hat, white button down shirt, black pants, and boots walking down the street with a black folding stock AK-47 slung over his shoulder. I didn't see anyone running so I figured everything was OK.

During the job interview, I mentioned what I saw and the HR person said "Oh yeah, down by the Starbucks. He's there every day getting coffee". I said "Must be an open carry state" and everyone in the room said open carry and conceal carry.

My thoughts are if folks feel comfortable about it, then that's what they do. When in Rome...

I was in Israel for 2 weeks in 1979. While I was there, it was commonplace to see Civilians carrying firearms everywhere. The waiter that served me breakfast was wearing a sidearm. The person selling newspapers in the kiosk on the corner had a gun on him. Taxicab drivers, bartenders, theater ushers, retail workers ... everyone was armed. I saw a group of children on a field trip of some sort, and each of their 4 adult chaperones had a rifle slung over their shoulder.

The only place where I didn't see Civilians carrying weapons was at the Western Wall in Jerusalem. But there was a large presence of Police and Army personnel, and each of them was heavily armed and wearing bullet-proof vests.

As an American tourist, this came as a shock when I first saw it. But the reasons behind it didn't seem too hard to understand. The second day, I barely noticed. By the third day, it seemed normal.

Would this work in America? I don't see why not. Although I probably would never carry a gun myself, I would feel safe knowing that there was plenty of firepower around me in case of danger.

Will this ever happen in America? Probably not. I know we're not supposed to discuss politics here, so I won't go into the reasons why, but the reasons we will never see wide-spread Open Carry in this country have nothing to do with Public Safety.

while I'll happily make every effort to camouflage my open carry, in the interest of not drawing attention; the biggest reason a pistol will be on my belt or in a shoulder rig is because it's far too painful to carry inside the waistband across my lower back. Even with a heavy belt hung on suspenders and loose slacks. Yes, I don't seek the attention a print, peak, or coat malfunction can cause; but there's just no help for it. A purse or messenger bag is just another thing to loose, and with it control of my weapon. An anklet is functional, and most the time sufficient for a snub revolver bug. But for day to day I'd rather trust my 9 or 45 thank you.

Rifles?
Phffft they're for hunting; and only brought out with every intent to seek find and bring home the game of the day.
Then to be stored until the next time it's time for more serious measures.

I was in Israel for 2 weeks in 1979. While I was there, it was commonplace to see Civilians carrying firearms everywhere. The waiter that served me breakfast was wearing a sidearm. The person selling newspapers in the kiosk on the corner had a gun on him. Taxicab drivers, bartenders, theater ushers, retail workers ... everyone was armed. I saw a group of children on a field trip of some sort, and each of their 4 adult chaperones had a rifle slung over their shoulder.

The only place where I didn't see Civilians carrying weapons was at the Western Wall in Jerusalem. But there was a large presence of Police and Army personnel, and each of them was heavily armed and wearing bullet-proof vests.

As an American tourist, this came as a shock when I first saw it. But the reasons behind it didn't seem too hard to understand. The second day, I barely noticed. By the third day, it seemed normal.

Would this work in America? I don't see why not. Although I probably would never carry a gun myself, I would feel safe knowing that there was plenty of firepower around me in case of danger.

Will this ever happen in America? Probably not. I know we're not supposed to discuss politics here, so I won't go into the reasons why, but the reasons we will never see wide-spread Open Carry in this country have nothing to do with Public Safety.

Only difference is that the Israeli's that were carrying had all been in the Israeli military and been trained on the proper use of firearms. Whereas half the numb nuts that do it in this country are YouTube heroes, and armchair commandos that got picked on a bunch in high school and have something to prove.

I open carry because I don't have my ccw yet. But I do like it because it is nice to be able to get to it straight away. And like Merle said I do everything in my power to make it so my OC isn't seen. It's not like I have my ar on my back in a clown suite with a blow horn screaming I have a gun. I'm not trying to raise awareness either. I'd just rather have my handgun and hope I see the bad guy first before he sees my gun. As opposed to carrying illegally or just having a rock to throw at the guy....

I'm not sure about the laws in my state (Oregon), but there is no open carry in my place of employment (a county courthouse) except by sworn peace officers. I'm glad of that, having had several confrontations with angry people through the years. Personally if I were in a restaurant and some gun toting yahoo came in with an AK, I would leave, explain my reasons to the management, and give them the opportunity to ask the gun nut to leave. I see no reason why patrons who chose to leave would have to pay their bills, either, to be honest about it. There are absolutely too many incidents where gun owners don't have the slightest notion of how to secure their weapons, and a gun goes off, injuring or killing a bystander. I don't intend to be that dead guy on the floor.

Oregon allows open carry but as a guy in Gresham found out a couple of months ago, it's not wise to do so. He was walking down the street and a guy walked up to him and said something about him having a nice gun at which time he pulled his own gun and took the open carry guy's gun. Not much you can do at that point unless you're willing to get shot. Had he been concealed carrying the thief would probably just walked past him like any other pedestrian.

It takes away any element of surprise and seems to be primarily about guys "exercising their rights" and by God, that's all that counts in America!

I support the idea behind it as a right to do so. I do however think that it has it's place, and down main street with a rifle is not it. A rifle is not the best choice for anything but show unless carried at a ready position, and as roadcykler pointed out, can cause you more problems than not. It causes a lot more fear in anyone if carried at a ready position.

That being said, when I lived in NC there was one convenience store that had a 9mm beretta that was there for the cashiers to wear, and only the owners son didn't. That was the only store in the area that never got robbed. This was a scenario that it fit.

I carry concealed, and I don't draw attention to myself. It is peaceful that way. Even though since I teach defensive pistol and most people in my small town know I carry, it never is an issue, as it is never seen. I don't cause nervous reactions or unwanted attention from the uneducated or ill-intended.

Just my humble take on the situation.

interesting point about rifles, the right to carry, and folks 'exercising their rights'....
This was specifically how California ended most carry rights for their citizenship when one day in 1967 a black panthers group demonstrated their rights on the steps of and in the council chambers for the California assembly.

interesting point about rifles, the right to carry, and folks 'exercising their rights'....
This was specifically how California ended most carry rights for their citizenship when one day in 1967 a black panthers group demonstrated their rights on the steps of and in the council chambers for the California assembly.

That is exactly the reason I disagree with the way some people are going about exercising their right. The media already has uneducated non-owners terrified of "black rifles" andsuch, so the demonstrators don't need to shove it in their faces. This is actually hurting our cause more than helping in most instances as they come across as nothing more than a nut with a gun.

We want our right to carry, but on the same note, they should be entitled to their right to not having to feel afraid of someone that they have no clue of their intent or training, or worse yet, a group walking around with an over-sized impractical firearm just because they can.

I don't expect everyone to understand why I carry, but I don't want to scare them into opposing that I do.

I previously lived in FL which is a concealed carry state. I have a CCL but quite honestly didn't carry that much. First, it is a pain to buy special pants or garments to conceal your weapon - particularly in a state that is hot and humid. Plus, if the gun "prints" and becomes visible you can have some legal issues.

I now live in AZ which allows open carry. I have only seen one person open carry in the three months I have been living here.

Ill give you a couple reasons
1. You got a nice BBQ gun and you want to look your "Sunday best" in church.
2. Its cheaper than going through the whole Concealed carry class, paying the $80 and wasting your Saturday morning.
3. You want the ladies to think your law enforcement.
4. Its your mom and your holding it for her after her altercation at the bingo hall... at least until her bail sets.
5. You have a Concealed carry permit but your wife won't be seen with you with your fanny pack holster.
6. The extra belt helps hold your pants up and its less tacky than suspenders.
7. The gun draws attention away from your man boobs.
8. The holster lets you have two hands to enjoy your beer.
9. Your safe is full.
10. It tells the ladies at the craft store, that "Hey, I may be looking at fabric swatches with my wife for our new curtains, but I am still a man."

:lol: Too funny.

The best is always the guy in Walmart wearing a tactical drop-leg holster with the Hi-Point that has a laser, night sights, flash light, grenade launcher, and whatever else he can put on it. Total mall ninja style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom